Sign in with
Your question

I need help regarding DVDs and CDs not playing.

Last response: in Windows 7
July 4, 2012 4:44:47 PM

Hello,all my defaults are set as far as being able to play my CDs and DVDs are concerned,but neither iTunes nor Windows media will play them.What specifically is the problem?

More about : dvds cds playing

a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
July 4, 2012 5:37:24 PM

when did the problem start occurring? did you recently add/remove any software? Have you replaced your optical drive?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
July 4, 2012 6:04:02 PM

can you still read software discs?

if its only music and video try vlc player to see if that works
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2012 2:06:40 AM

nhasian said:
when did the problem start occurring? did you recently add/remove any software? Have you replaced your optical drive?

Nope,I replaced nothing and this is on my Dell laptop.Specifically how would I go about removing an optical drive without physically removing it anyway.This had occurred in early may and I didn't touch anything just prior to the last time it was working.
m
l
July 11, 2012 2:08:13 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
can you still read software discs?

if its only music and video try vlc player to see if that works

My music I already have downloaded on here will play,but not CDs nor can I play DVDs.
m
l
July 11, 2012 2:30:43 AM

JWL_73 said:
Nope,I replaced nothing and this is on my Dell laptop.Specifically how would I go about removing an optical drive without physically removing it anyway.This had occurred in early may and I didn't touch anything just prior to the last time it was working.

To remove an optical drive or "disable" it without actually removing it do the following.
Start > right click computer > manage > device manager > CD/DVD drives > disable

There should also be an option to update drivers for it in the properties but I have never heard of a DVD drive needing drivers..
As mcnumpty23 try VLC media player. Or you can try updating iTunes to the newest version.
m
l
July 11, 2012 3:01:39 AM

Alucard679 said:
To remove an optical drive or "disable" it without actually removing it do the following.
Start > right click computer > manage > device manager > CD/DVD drives > disable

There should also be an option to update drivers for it in the properties but I have never heard of a DVD drive needing drivers..
As mcnumpty23 try VLC media player. Or you can try updating iTunes to the newest version.

My drivers are updated,I ran a diagnostics test on iTunes and still nothing.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2012 6:10:43 AM

try the dell hardware diagnostics--it should have a dvd/cd test

Shut down and restart the computer.

When the DELL logo appears, press <F12> immediately.

choose all tests or custom to just test the dvd/cd drive
m
l
July 11, 2012 12:58:33 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
try the dell hardware diagnostics--it should have a dvd/cd test

Shut down and restart the computer.

When the DELL logo appears, press <F12> immediately.

choose all tests or custom to just test the dvd/cd drive

I'll give that a try,thanks.
m
l
!