Memory picks up only half

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
Hi

We just installed 128Mb PC133 memory into a client's PC. It only picks up as 64MB. The supplier tells us it's because the memory is single bank. The PC is a PII. I have yet to hear of such a statement. Our resources and time is little. Please help. We have been sold memory that was labeled wrong previously.

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Oops - your probably using the wrong (Density ) type of memory for your mobo!!!

32Mbit High-Density DRAM' technology. Your system's motherboard must accept 512MB in each memory slot in order for these modules to work properly. In the event that your motherboard does not accept 'High-Density' SDRAM, you system will either show the memory module as a smaller size (i.e. 256MB as 128MB) or will not read it at all. The best way to know is to consult your system/motherboard documentation or the manufacturer's website.

Google High Density Vs Low Density Memory for more...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most PII's used the LX or BX chipset. These have a limit of 16MB per chip, times as many chips are on the module. For example, a 16-chip double sided module can provide 256MB for those boards. An 8 chip module can supply 128MB to those boards. You got yourself some crappy 4 chip memory there d00d, 16MBx4=64MB. My suggestion is to buy your memory from Crucial using their memory selector for your clients PC.

Actually, my suggestion would be to go to Crucial and buy some 256MB PC133 modules for the Abit BE6-II motherboard. Why? That board is fast enough that Crucial actually list PC133 modules for it, and since it uses the BX chipset, you know the memory will also be compatable with older LX and even TX chipset boards. In fact, it's compatable with nearly all SDRAM chipsets, unlike that trash your supplier sent.

If you don't feel like looking around, you can get:

<A HREF="http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT32M64S4D7E&cat=RAM" target="_new">This 256MB module</A>, or
<A HREF="http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT16M64S4D7E&cat=RAM" target="_new">This 128MB module</A>

And I personally garuntee that these will work.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most PII's used the LX or BX chipset. These have a limit of 16MB per chip, times as many chips are on the module. For example, a 16-chip double sided module can provide 256MB for those boards. An 8 chip module can supply 128MB to those boards. You got yourself some crappy 4 chip memory there d00d, 16MBx4=64MB. My suggestion is to buy your memory from Crucial using their memory selector for your clients PC.

Actually, my suggestion would be to go to Crucial and buy some 256MB PC133 modules for the Abit BE6-II motherboard. Why? That board is fast enough that Crucial actually list PC133 modules for it, and since it uses the BX chipset, you know the memory will also be compatable with older LX and even TX chipset boards. In fact, it's compatable with nearly all SDRAM chipsets, unlike that trash your supplier sent.

If you don't feel like looking around, you can get:

<A HREF="http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT32M64S4D7E&cat=RAM" target="_new">This 256MB module</A>, or
<A HREF="http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT16M64S4D7E&cat=RAM" target="_new">This 128MB module</A>

And I personally garuntee that these will work.

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
Thanks for the explanation guys.

I'm off to the client now. I'll part with my own dual-sided ram and swop for theirs. My board will take this particular ram. Down here we pay up to $40 for a stick of 128Mb SDRam. What a waste of time and money.

Thanks all

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That should work fine. Actually, a single-sided 128MB module would work if it had 8 chips, but his new 4 chip module won't.

As long as you supports systems, it's a good idea to have some of those modules I recommended around. 80% or more of the SDRAM systems in service right now use TX, LX or BX chipsets. And all have that same memory density limit.

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
Thanks guys. I was a bit worried of putting crappy memmory in my PC. Especially because my P3 600 is overclocked to 800Mhz, running 133x6. (have tried 850Mhz but to unstable. Standard coolingobviously.)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I just call that high density memory crap because it's incompatable with so many systems. You can get good quality crap, but it's still crap if it only works in the minority of systems.

You see, it's cheaper for them to use a few high density chips that a bunch of medium density chips. So they say "Screw compatability, shove this crap out and when they say it doesn't work, tell them it's their own fault for using it on an older system". The fact remains that the majority of standard SDRAM systems in the field ARE older systems!

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
And they moan about Microsoft's incompatablity... Jsut so glad I'll be getting my Barton in the next month. Just wish/hope that I'll get the same overclocking ratio of 8/6. :)