Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which tiny monitors?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 7:22:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi group,
I'm considering getting a new set of monitors for mobile recording.
Tracking is first consideration - mixing is secondary. Here are my
criteria:

1) SMALL
2) TINY
3) DIMINUITIVE (did I mention small?)
4) Full range/ great sound - subwoofer or not
5) Firewire or USB bus powered preferred (is anyone even making these
yet? If, not, get on it!), but passives and actives considered.

I currently use Mackie HR824s, auratones (small, but not full range),
and occasionally NS10s. I'm looking for a very neutral mackie or
genelec type of system (Genelec 1029s come to mind size-wise, but I
think they're WAY too hyped up on the top end). I'd like to be able
to fit a pair (with subwoofer, if needed) into a normal-sized travel
suitcase. Figure maybe 12"x 6" x 4" (per speaker) or thereabouts.
Am I kidding myself? I'd probably spend $500 if I can get everything
I want. I figure 3-way systems are my best bet, due to smaller
satellites. I guess I really want 'computer speaker' size and
portability with pro studio sound. So either pinch me or suggest
something.

Thanks,

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku

More about : tiny monitors

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 7:48:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

headphones?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 9:27:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

genericaudioper...@hotmail.com wrote:
> headphones?

I have a good selection of hph's to choose from (AKG D240df, Fostex
T20/T40, some A-Ts and some Sennheisers if I want to rip my ears off
with high-end. I even have some good ear buds (etymotic ER6, shure E5)
so I have the ear thing pretty well covered. I'm thinking more of the
client having non-earphone monitoring available for their convenience.

thanks,
mikey
Related resources
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 9:37:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Or bus-powered levitation... :) 

mikey
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 10:28:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

novamusic <novamusic@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>1) SMALL
>2) TINY
>3) DIMINUITIVE (did I mention small?)
>4) Full range/ great sound - subwoofer or not

These don't work together. Basically, how small does it really need to be?
Is the NHT Super One too large? That's basically about as small as I can
imagine and still get decent low end.

>5) Firewire or USB bus powered preferred (is anyone even making these
>yet? If, not, get on it!), but passives and actives considered.

You have to be joking. You can't get more than flea power out of those
things. And if you want small speakers and you want any low end at all,
you pay for it in efficiency.

>I currently use Mackie HR824s, auratones (small, but not full range),
>and occasionally NS10s. I'm looking for a very neutral mackie or
>genelec type of system (Genelec 1029s come to mind size-wise, but I
>think they're WAY too hyped up on the top end). I'd like to be able
>to fit a pair (with subwoofer, if needed) into a normal-sized travel
>suitcase. Figure maybe 12"x 6" x 4" (per speaker) or thereabouts.

You can check the NHT M-00, which sounds very unbalanced to me because
of the lack of low end, but which you might like. The old Super-One
is pretty decent but needs an amp.

The old LS 3/5a is a great choice if you can live without any low end
at all.

You might look at the new 8-series Genelec replacement for the 1029.
While the 1029 was totally useless, the new series are a huge step up
on the bottom end of the line.

>Am I kidding myself? I'd probably spend $500 if I can get everything
>I want. I figure 3-way systems are my best bet, due to smaller
>satellites. I guess I really want 'computer speaker' size and
>portability with pro studio sound. So either pinch me or suggest
>something.

If you're looking for tiny boxes, I don't think you'll get much of a
3-way system. And I don't think you'll get low end.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 10:28:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

cott Dorsey wrote:
> novamusic <novamusic@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a very neutral mackie or genelec type of system
>> (Genelec 1029s come to mind size-wise, but I think they're WAY too
>> hyped up on the top end). I'd like to be able to fit a pair (with
>> subwoofer, if needed) into a normal-sized travel suitcase. Figure
>> maybe 12"x 6" x 4" (per speaker) or thereabouts.
>
>
> You might look at the new 8-series Genelec replacement for the 1029.
> While the 1029 was totally useless, the new series are a huge step up
> on the bottom end of the line.

8030A <http://www.genelec.com/products/8030a/8030a.php&gt;

If you can spare the space, the 8040A sounds quite good without a
subwoofer, and plays louder.

Genelec makes padded carry bags for both models.




>> Am I kidding myself?

Probably.



>> I'd probably spend $500 if I can get everything I want.

You're going to spend nearly that for a single 8030A, and about twice as
much for a single 8040A. I think they're very good values.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 11:39:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

These are probably a little more than $500/pr:
http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/db1s.html

6" x 9" x 11.5", 11 lb each. These are transmission line speakers,
have a good reputation for accuracy and reasonable bass extension, for
the package size. Can likely be used for many more applications.

Steve
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 12:34:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

genericaudioperson@hotmail.com wrote:

> headphones?

IEM's? Shure E3s are IME really pretty darn neutral.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 1:23:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Steve Scott" <squeegybug@netspace1.com> wrote in message
news:1115692754.806876.71180@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> These are probably a little more than $500/pr:
> http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/db1s.html
>
> 6" x 9" x 11.5", 11 lb each. These are transmission line speakers,
> have a good reputation for accuracy and reasonable bass extension, for
> the package size. Can likely be used for many more applications.
>
> Steve

hi Steve,

These are passive though, right? The OP wanted active, preferably USB or
solar powered ( kidding about the solar power ;-)

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 3:03:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Beyer Dt990's



On 5/9/05 6:22 PM, in article
1115677323.375548.276300@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com, "novamusic"
<novamusic@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi group,
> I'm considering getting a new set of monitors for mobile recording.
> Tracking is first consideration - mixing is secondary. Here are my
> criteria:
>
> 1) SMALL
> 2) TINY
> 3) DIMINUITIVE (did I mention small?)
> 4) Full range/ great sound - subwoofer or not
> 5) Firewire or USB bus powered preferred (is anyone even making these
> yet? If, not, get on it!), but passives and actives considered.
>
> I currently use Mackie HR824s, auratones (small, but not full range),
> and occasionally NS10s. I'm looking for a very neutral mackie or
> genelec type of system (Genelec 1029s come to mind size-wise, but I
> think they're WAY too hyped up on the top end). I'd like to be able
> to fit a pair (with subwoofer, if needed) into a normal-sized travel
> suitcase. Figure maybe 12"x 6" x 4" (per speaker) or thereabouts.
> Am I kidding myself? I'd probably spend $500 if I can get everything
> I want. I figure 3-way systems are my best bet, due to smaller
> satellites. I guess I really want 'computer speaker' size and
> portability with pro studio sound. So either pinch me or suggest
> something.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mikey Wozniak
> Nova Music Productions
> This sig is haiku
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 3:37:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 9 May 2005 15:22:03 -0700, "novamusic" <novamusic@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>portability with pro studio sound. So either pinch me or suggest
>something.

Remember that you'll need stands of some sort.

Chris Hornbeck
"Clean, edgy, gutless, and lifeless." -Dan Kennedy
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 3:56:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

John L Rice wrote:
> "Steve Scott" <squeegybug@netspace1.com> wrote in message
> news:1115692754.806876.71180@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > These are probably a little more than $500/pr:
> > http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/db1s.html
> >
> > 6" x 9" x 11.5", 11 lb each. These are transmission line speakers,
> > have a good reputation for accuracy and reasonable bass extension,
for
> > the package size. Can likely be used for many more applications.
> >
> > Steve
>
> hi Steve,
>
> These are passive though, right? The OP wanted active, preferably
USB or
> solar powered ( kidding about the solar power ;-)
>
> --
> John L Rice
> Drummer@ImJohn.com


John,

Well he did say "...but passives and actives considered."

Yes the DB1+ I linked to are passive. But PMC also offers these as
DB1S-A active version, powered by the really interesting Flying Mole
amps (100 watt/1.5 lb):

http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/db1sa.html

These monitors are getting quite a reputation, I'm getting ready to
order the slightly bigger TB2+ passives myself. I'll be comparing to
Dynaudio BM15p, should be interesting.

The Flying Moles are switching amps developed by former Yamaha power
amp engineers who left and started their own company when Yamaha
declined to pursue the technology. Also, these PMC monitors are
bi-wire/bi-amp capable.

BTW, "DB" stands for Diddy box, and "TB" for Tiny Box I believe.
Clever British as usual... :) 

Wonder if anyone else has run PMC vs Dynaudio?

Steve
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 4:01:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

novamusic wrote:
> Hi group,
> I'm considering getting a new set of monitors for mobile recording.
> Tracking is first consideration - mixing is secondary. Here are my
> criteria:
>
> 1) SMALL
> 2) TINY
> 3) DIMINUITIVE (did I mention small?)
> 4) Full range/ great sound - subwoofer or not
> 5) Firewire or USB bus powered preferred (is anyone even making these
> yet? If, not, get on it!), but passives and actives considered.

How bout Sony MDR-7506's? If cans won't work, I'd second scott's
recommendation of the LS3/5A, or even JR-149's (same thing
basically)....genelecs are great but perhaps a bit too colored.

Jonny Durango
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 4:35:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

John L Rice wrote:
> "Steve Scott" <squeegybug@netspace1.com> wrote in message
> news:1115692754.806876.71180@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > These are probably a little more than $500/pr:
> > http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/db1s.html
> >
> > 6" x 9" x 11.5", 11 lb each. These are transmission line speakers,
> > have a good reputation for accuracy and reasonable bass extension,
for
> > the package size. Can likely be used for many more applications.
> >
> > Steve
>
> hi Steve,
>
> These are passive though, right? The OP wanted active, preferably
USB or
> solar powered ( kidding about the solar power ;-)
>
> --
> John L Rice
> Drummer@ImJohn.com

Hi John,

Well I wrote a reply, but "the internet" seems to be broke tonight, got
lost somewhere...

I think this is close to what I posted, sorry if duplicate ---

The OP did say "...but passives and actives considered."

Yes the DB1S I linked to are passive, but PMC makes the DB1S-A active
version available as well, powered by the really interesting Flying
Mole amps (100 watt/1.5 lb):

http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/db1sa.html

Their monitors are bi-wire/bi-amp capable too.

The Flying Moles are switching amps developed by former Yamaha
amplifier engineers who started their own company when Yamaha declined
to pursue that technology.

BTW, "DB" stands for Diddy box and "TB" for Tiny Box... clever British
descriptions as usual....

PMC is getting quite a reputation, I'm getting ready to order the
slightly bigger TB1+, comparing to Dynaudio BM15p.

Wonder if anyone else has run PMC vs Dynaudio?

Steve
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 10:27:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Mon, 09 May 2005 23:03:29 GMT, SSJVCmag <ten@nozirev.gamnocssj.com>
wrote:

>Beyer Dt990's

And even for folks who can't currently adapt to the perspective,
I'd bet good money that in a (very) few years, some whizbang
hotshot will have cooked up an algy-rythum that does the deed.

It's really just a matter of computing horsepressurebandwidth.
Probably sooner than later,

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 1:42:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Chris Hornbeck <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote:
>On Mon, 09 May 2005 23:03:29 GMT, SSJVCmag <ten@nozirev.gamnocssj.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Beyer Dt990's
>
>And even for folks who can't currently adapt to the perspective,
>I'd bet good money that in a (very) few years, some whizbang
>hotshot will have cooked up an algy-rythum that does the deed.

A bunch of folks have, starting with the Sennheiser Lucas a decade ago,
and going into the stuff that Lake makes today. None of them really
make me feel comfortable, though, and monitoring is very much about
feeling comfortable.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 2:02:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Kyle W. Harris wrote:
> Howdy,
> Passive, the small PMC's are very nice. Active,I really like the
> NHT-PRO 's.
> Kyle Harris
>
> novamusic wrote:
> > Hi group,
> > I'm considering getting a new set of monitors for mobile recording.
> > Tracking is first consideration - mixing is secondary. Here are my
> > criteria:
> >
> > 1) SMALL
> > 2) TINY
> > 3) DIMINUITIVE (did I mention small?)
> > 4) Full range/ great sound - subwoofer or not
> > 5) Firewire or USB bus powered preferred (is anyone even making
these
> > yet? If, not, get on it!), but passives and actives considered.
> >
> > I currently use Mackie HR824s, auratones (small, but not full
range),
> > and occasionally NS10s. I'm looking for a very neutral mackie or
> > genelec type of system (Genelec 1029s come to mind size-wise, but I
> > think they're WAY too hyped up on the top end). I'd like to be able
> > to fit a pair (with subwoofer, if needed) into a normal-sized
travel
> > suitcase. Figure maybe 12"x 6" x 4" (per speaker) or thereabouts.
> > Am I kidding myself? I'd probably spend $500 if I can get
everything
> > I want. I figure 3-way systems are my best bet, due to smaller
> > satellites. I guess I really want 'computer speaker' size and
> > portability with pro studio sound. So either pinch me or suggest
> > something.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mikey Wozniak
> > Nova Music Productions
> > This sig is haiku
> >


Thanks, guys, for all the info. I'm glad to see a consensus emerging
(PMC/NHT)
Might the LS 3/5a be more useful with a subwoofer?

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
this sig is haiku
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 5:24:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

novamusic <novamusic@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>Thanks, guys, for all the info. I'm glad to see a consensus emerging
>(PMC/NHT)
>Might the LS 3/5a be more useful with a subwoofer?

Maybe if you added dual subs to the LS 3/5a, it might be better... but if
you are going to do that, you might as well just use bigger speakers
because it'll still be just as much to carry.

Subwoofers don't have any magic... you still need volume to get low end
efficiency.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 6:00:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

novamusic wrote:
>
> Thanks, guys, for all the info. I'm glad to see a consensus emerging
> (PMC/NHT)

You don't listen to a consensus, you listen to a pair of monitors.

Get several for eval and see what works for you.

And you should add the Genelec 8030A to your list.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 6:15:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Howdy,
Passive, the small PMC's are very nice. Active,I really like the
NHT-PRO 's.
Kyle Harris

novamusic wrote:
> Hi group,
> I'm considering getting a new set of monitors for mobile recording.
> Tracking is first consideration - mixing is secondary. Here are my
> criteria:
>
> 1) SMALL
> 2) TINY
> 3) DIMINUITIVE (did I mention small?)
> 4) Full range/ great sound - subwoofer or not
> 5) Firewire or USB bus powered preferred (is anyone even making these
> yet? If, not, get on it!), but passives and actives considered.
>
> I currently use Mackie HR824s, auratones (small, but not full range),
> and occasionally NS10s. I'm looking for a very neutral mackie or
> genelec type of system (Genelec 1029s come to mind size-wise, but I
> think they're WAY too hyped up on the top end). I'd like to be able
> to fit a pair (with subwoofer, if needed) into a normal-sized travel
> suitcase. Figure maybe 12"x 6" x 4" (per speaker) or thereabouts.
> Am I kidding myself? I'd probably spend $500 if I can get everything
> I want. I figure 3-way systems are my best bet, due to smaller
> satellites. I guess I really want 'computer speaker' size and
> portability with pro studio sound. So either pinch me or suggest
> something.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mikey Wozniak
> Nova Music Productions
> This sig is haiku
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 6:55:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 9 May 2005 18:28:58 -0400, Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:

> novamusic <novamusic@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 1) SMALL
>> 2) TINY
>> 3) DIMINUITIVE (did I mention small?)
>> 4) Full range/ great sound - subwoofer or not
>
> The old LS 3/5a is a great choice if you can live without any low end
> at all.

I'd second the LS3/5a recommendation - or maybe one of the more modern
alternatives from PMC or Harbeth.

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 12, 2005 8:52:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 10 May 2005 09:42:43 -0400, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>>>Beyer Dt990's
>>
>>And even for folks who can't currently adapt to the perspective,
>>I'd bet good money that in a (very) few years, some whizbang
>>hotshot will have cooked up an algy-rythum that does the deed.
>
>A bunch of folks have, starting with the Sennheiser Lucas a decade ago,
>and going into the stuff that Lake makes today. None of them really
>make me feel comfortable, though, and monitoring is very much about
>feeling comfortable.

I've been thinking about this (as much as I can think about anything
not food-or-cat-related, anyway) and it seems to both raise
interesting questions and present an avenue of attack. FWIW,

Maybe the bigger stumbling block is the effect of headphones on
one's head. Personally, I hate them. Is this even overcome-able?

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 19, 2005 8:36:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Not quite the same midrange, although possibly slightly more correct
(?)

If ls3/5as sound tempting for size, you should def. try the new
Stirling Broadcast version, which has the same (slightly better) sound,
but use scandenavian drivers and has better power handling and better
bass output and accuracy. Classic FM has installed two pairs in its
production studios recently. If listening environment is small ordinary
ls3/5as may do ok, but Stirling version will scale better.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 19, 2005 2:05:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

James Perrett wrote:
> On 9 May 2005 18:28:58 -0400, Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> novamusic <novamusic@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> 1) SMALL
>>> 2) TINY
>>> 3) DIMINUITIVE (did I mention small?)
>>> 4) Full range/ great sound - subwoofer or not
>>
>>
>> The old LS 3/5a is a great choice if you can live without any low end
>> at all.
>
>
> I'd second the LS3/5a recommendation - or maybe one of the more modern
> alternatives from PMC or Harbeth.
>
> Cheers.
>
> James.
>
Or find the Rogers JR149 which is the circular version. Same sweet
midrange and top end, but with a touch more bass.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 19, 2005 2:58:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Thu, 19 May 2005 04:05:27 -0400, david morley wrote
(in article <3f2vm7F5l4l3U1@individual.net>):

> James Perrett wrote:
>> On 9 May 2005 18:28:58 -0400, Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> novamusic <novamusic@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> 1) SMALL
>>>> 2) TINY
>>>> 3) DIMINUITIVE (did I mention small?)
>>>> 4) Full range/ great sound - subwoofer or not
>>>
>>>
>>> The old LS 3/5a is a great choice if you can live without any low end
>>> at all.
>>
>>
>> I'd second the LS3/5a recommendation - or maybe one of the more modern
>> alternatives from PMC or Harbeth.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> James.
>>
> Or find the Rogers JR149 which is the circular version. Same sweet
> midrange and top end, but with a touch more bass.

Radio Shack Minimus 7, if you can find them used. Sadly, they no longer make
them.

Ty Ford


-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 19, 2005 7:49:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> If ls3/5as sound tempting for size, you should def. try the new
> Stirling Broadcast version, which has the same (slightly better) sound,
> but use scandenavian drivers and has better power handling and better
> bass output and accuracy.

If it uses different drivers, how can it be an LS3/5a?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 8, 2005 8:28:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

'Cos it sounds the same?

The drivers were different between the Kef 11ohm and 15ohm versions -
looked the same but had changes to the spider, driver surround, driver
doping, crossover.

If you want the presentation of an ls3/5a the choices you have are 1)
risk a 15ohm from the 2nd hand market, which could well have drifted
off-spec, gaining significant peaks in the mid-range, 2) risk an 11ohm
from the 2nd hand market - likely to be on spec but the B110 drivers
are virtually unrepairable because of the PVC surrounds, 3) buy a new
version from Stirling, 4) try and buy a new 11ohm version from Richard
Allan. If you get one you will have the same driver repair issues as
2).


William Sommerwerck wrote:
> > If ls3/5as sound tempting for size, you should def. try the new
> > Stirling Broadcast version, which has the same (slightly better) sound,
> > but use scandenavian drivers and has better power handling and better
> > bass output and accuracy.
>
> If it uses different drivers, how can it be an LS3/5a?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 10, 2005 10:54:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Go and check out the Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 system. Sounds much bigger
than it looks. I've even seen these at Guitar Center now and then Blue
Sky monitors are really popular in Video Post houses and surround
rooms. I bought the next size up and love them.

http://www.abluesky.com
!