TheCommGuy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Pretty much, my general question is do RAM heat-spreaders really make 'that' much more difference than without?? I've heard people say yes it does but then I've also heard people say it's just for looks also.

Anyone live by them and are they worth upgrading more so than normal stock. (I normally don't monitor the temp on them.)

<font color=blue>/Next time there is a war in Europe- the loser gets stuck with France this time.</font color=blue> Support your troops!!!!

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
If the headspreader is not came with the RAM, ignore it. Even the active memory cooling from Thermaltake is proven with no real life advantage and consumes more power to generate some more noise in your chasis.

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

TheCommGuy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Thanks, was wondering- because honestly it's common sense to have some sort of cooling device on it, but I guess if the RAM needed it- it would of came with it really.

Thanks

<font color=blue>/Next time there is a war in Europe- the loser gets stuck with France this time.</font color=blue> Support your troops!!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They make only a little difference, and are normally not justified.

I believe the reason so many modules use them is for looks. Originally, RDRAM had shields to prevent signal crosstalk at RDRAM's high frequencies. Someone probably thought they looked cool (like Mushkin) and started adding them to their SDRAM (like Mushkin Rev. 3). And everyone else probably coppied.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

TheCommGuy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Ha ha ha- I can believe that. Hey I guess if it works and it looks cool and you can charge an additional $10 for a piece of tin. Why not?!?!?

I went some Kingston HyperX because for the price and being CAS 2. Hopefully it works ok with my Soltek MB.