Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which crossover ? EV AC-One? Ashly XR1001? etc..

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
May 10, 2005 5:01:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

Hi,
I'm after an active crossover for seperate tops/subs. The tops are EV
S200's, the subs are.. not bought yet, but will be soon hopefully.

Any recommendations ? The EV AC-One and Ashly XR1001 are both in my
price range, though I'd go a little higher if it helped. I'm not sure
if either have the phase shifter that I understand can sometimes be
needed to correct problems when putting tops and subs together..? Am I
likely to need this feature?

Cheers.

Mark.
--

More about : crossover ashly xr1001

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 7:32:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

> Any recommendations ? The EV AC-One and Ashly XR1001 are both in my
> price range, though I'd go a little higher if it helped.

While I'm very familiar with the XR1001(and would recommend it for what it
is), something along the lines of the AC-One might make more sense.
However, I think your money would be better spent on something like a
Driverack PA or better, a 260. Much more processing power, including
delay/alignment, parametric eqs, and more filter adjustablility.

Best regards,

John
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 2:04:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

"John Halliburton" <j_challiburton@ameritech.net> wrote in message
news:GXVfe.454$1A6.181@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
>
> > Any recommendations ? The EV AC-One and Ashly XR1001 are both in my
> > price range, though I'd go a little higher if it helped.
>
> While I'm very familiar with the XR1001(and would recommend it for what it
> is), something along the lines of the AC-One might make more sense.
> However, I think your money would be better spent on something like a
> Driverack PA or better, a 260. Much more processing power, including
> delay/alignment, parametric eqs, and more filter adjustablility.
>
> Best regards,
>
> John
>
>

well i'd avoid the DRPA.
personally i'd go with the behrigner dcx2496.


Rob
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 6:20:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

"Rob Beech" <Mail@robbeech.com> wrote in message
news:8H%fe.969$f5.90@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...
> well i'd avoid the DRPA.

Too right. Why take the risk of the power going out and it taking all your
drivers with it?

> personally i'd go with the behrigner dcx2496.

Agreed.

Phildo
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 6:33:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

"Mark" <marks@nospamhere.com> wrote in message
news:U86dnToBPLxOZOLfRVnyuQ@pipex.net...
> Hi,
> I'm after an active crossover for seperate tops/subs. The tops are EV
> S200's, the subs are.. not bought yet, but will be soon hopefully.
>
> Any recommendations ? The EV AC-One and Ashly XR1001 are both in my price
> range, though I'd go a little higher if it helped. I'm not sure if either
> have the phase shifter that I understand can sometimes be needed to
> correct problems when putting tops and subs together..? Am I likely to
> need this feature?

Behringer DCX2496
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 7:35:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

> personally i'd go with the behrigner dcx2496.

Well, I've got issues(as do a lot of other folks who work in the
manufacturing side of pro audio) with the B company, and don't recommend
them for anything.

JHH
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 8:37:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

John Halliburton wrote:

> > personally i'd go with the behrigner dcx2496.

> Well, I've got issues(as do a lot of other folks who work in the
> manufacturing side of pro audio) with the B company, and don't recommend
> them for anything.

John,

I think I have shared those issues, too, but I must say that the
DEQ2496's I've used have been excellent devices. Haven't tried a DCX2496
yet, but it's in the cards.

--
ha
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 11:42:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

"John Halliburton" <j_challiburton@ameritech.net> wrote in message
news:ix4ge.577$1A6.470@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
>> personally i'd go with the behrigner dcx2496.
>
> Well, I've got issues with the B company, and don't recommend them for
> anything.
>
Your loss. Still by far the best choice for the OPs needs.

Phildo
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:31:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

Hank, Phildo,

It may be my loss from a quality standpoint. It is a political one. Having
seen intellectual property "borrowed", I'm not one to endorse it by buying
gear from a company with a history of these situations.

Sincerely,

John
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 5:18:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

"John Halliburton" <j_challiburton@ameritech.net> wrote in
news:ix4ge.577$1A6.470@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

>
>
>> personally i'd go with the behrigner dcx2496.
>
> Well, I've got issues(as do a lot of other folks who work in the
> manufacturing side of pro audio) with the B company, and don't recommend
> them for anything.
>
> JHH
>
>

sigh.....

Steve Hawkins
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 5:49:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

"John Halliburton" <j_challiburton@ameritech.net> wrote in message
news:QS8ge.601$Lu6.345@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> Hank, Phildo,
>
> It may be my loss from a quality standpoint. It is a political one.
> Having seen intellectual property "borrowed", I'm not one to endorse it by
> buying gear from a company with a history of these situations.
>
Oh god, here we go again...........

Phildo
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 1:13:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

John Halliburton wrote:

> Hank, Phildo,
>
> It may be my loss from a quality standpoint. It is a political one. Having
> seen intellectual property "borrowed", I'm not one to endorse it by buying
> gear from a company with a history of these situations.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> John
>
>

You won't be buying anything made in Chinese OEM contractors plants then
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 6:04:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

"Tim Scott" <tim.scott@nospamplease.orange.net> wrote in message
news:D 5qd70$gio$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
> "Mark" <marks@nospamhere.com> wrote in message
> news:U86dnToBPLxOZOLfRVnyuQ@pipex.net...
> > Hi,
> > I'm after an active crossover for seperate tops/subs. The tops are EV
> > S200's, the subs are.. not bought yet, but will be soon hopefully.
> >
> > Any recommendations ? The EV AC-One and Ashly XR1001 are both in my
price
> > range, though I'd go a little higher if it helped. I'm not sure if
either
> > have the phase shifter that I understand can sometimes be needed to
> > correct problems when putting tops and subs together..? Am I likely to
> > need this feature?
>
> Behringer DCX2496
>
>
http://www.xilica.com/products/dcp/dcp3060.html
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 1:59:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

On 5/9/05 11:32 PM, in article GXVfe.454$1A6.181@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com,
"John Halliburton" <j_challiburton@ameritech.net> wrote:

> Driverack PA or better, a 260.

Completely agreed.

I've had the driverack pa for well over 2 years and it's been FANTASTIC. The
RTA function is great. Especially for a small band that plays in the same
venues over and over.

What is it with the Behringer kiss-asses in this group?!! Do you all have
endorsements or something???

-S

--
"Timpani! Take your drums to Brooklyn, play the same volume, you'll be
fine." -Otto Werner Mueller on my "Piannissimo" entrance in a Juilliard
Orchestra Rehearsal, C. 1997

Remove: Spamoff from email address to reply.
May 12, 2005 5:33:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

Thanks for your replies all. I might be able to get hold of the
Dynacord DSP244 (EV DX38). How does that compare to the ones being
discussed in this thread?

I see the Behringer debates still lives on then :-) I've had limited
experience with them but must admit to not having the best time with
them so far.

One of the guys in the band has a Behringer V-AMP and it is noisy as
hell, and you have to gate it a lot. The mixer in the practise room is
a 1U rack mount Behringer line mixer (the RX1602 I believe) and we've
started getting distortion on a few of channels on bass instruments (not
clipping, not pre-amp, though it works on other channels).

I'm not going to bash them generally as a company, perhaps this is there
lower level stuff; you generally just get what you pay for, and even the
best gear can develop faults. Having said that though, I do have a
problem with them ripping off the designs of other company's to avoid
the R&D costs. As a software engineer I do a lot of R&D myself; I'd be
pig-sick if someone stole all my hard work and sold it cheaper because
they didn't have to pay for the R&D.

Anyway, cheers !

Mark.
--

Mark wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm after an active crossover for seperate tops/subs. The tops are EV
> S200's, the subs are.. not bought yet, but will be soon hopefully.
>
> Any recommendations ? The EV AC-One and Ashly XR1001 are both in my
> price range, though I'd go a little higher if it helped. I'm not sure
> if either have the phase shifter that I understand can sometimes be
> needed to correct problems when putting tops and subs together..? Am I
> likely to need this feature?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Mark.
> --
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 12:35:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

Tim Padrick wrote:

> "Tim Scott" <tim.scott@nospamplease.orange.net> wrote in message
> news:D 5qd70$gio$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
>>"Mark" <marks@nospamhere.com> wrote in message
>>news:U86dnToBPLxOZOLfRVnyuQ@pipex.net...
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>I'm after an active crossover for seperate tops/subs. The tops are EV
>>>S200's, the subs are.. not bought yet, but will be soon hopefully.
>>>
>>>Any recommendations ? The EV AC-One and Ashly XR1001 are both in my
>
> price
>
>>>range, though I'd go a little higher if it helped. I'm not sure if
>
> either
>
>>>have the phase shifter that I understand can sometimes be needed to
>>>correct problems when putting tops and subs together..? Am I likely to
>>>need this feature?
>>
>>Behringer DCX2496
>>
>>
>
> http://www.xilica.com/products/dcp/dcp3060.html
>
>
Interesting similarity
http://www.voidaudio.com/dsps.asp

deton look like they are making some "tributes"
http://www.deton.com/html/DC260.html
and alto / sekaku http://www.altoproaudio.com/html/crossovers_digital.php
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 12:37:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

On 5/12/05 12:12 PM, in article
xfLge.206027$cg1.60759@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net, "George Gleason"
<g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>
>> What is it with the Behringer kiss-asses in this group?!! Do you all have
>> endorsements or something???
>>
>> -S
>>
>
> what is up with recommending known defective designs and overpriced junk
> you all stupid or something?
> george

Known defective? Overpriced?

How about reliable and right on the money for what you get with the
driverack PA: Crossover, Parametric EQ, Graphic EQ, Compression, Feedback
Supression, Subharmonic Processor, Pink Noise Generator with RTA etc...

For $500??? That's overpriced? You have to be kidding.

-S

--
"Timpani! Take your drums to Brooklyn, play the same volume, you'll be
fine." -Otto Werner Mueller on my "Piannissimo" entrance in a Juilliard
Orchestra Rehearsal, C. 1997

Remove: Spamoff from email address to reply.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 9:09:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

"Sean G. Dolan" <seangdolan@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:BEA8A129.B285%seangdolan@nyc.rr.com...
> On 5/9/05 11:32 PM, in article
> GXVfe.454$1A6.181@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com,
> "John Halliburton" <j_challiburton@ameritech.net> wrote:
>
>> Driverack PA or better, a 260.
>
> Completely agreed.

Oh dear.

> I've had the driverack pa for well over 2 years and it's been FANTASTIC.
> The
> RTA function is great. Especially for a small band that plays in the same
> venues over and over.

I would never recommend the DRPA for anything due to the pop you get if the
power goes out. Is enough to take out your drivers. Has been well documented
on here.

> What is it with the Behringer kiss-asses in this group?!! Do you all have
> endorsements or something???
>
Nope, we just recognise the best bang for the buck when we see it.

Phildo
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 9:12:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

"Sean G. Dolan" <seangdolan@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:BEA938B0.B35B%seangdolan@nyc.rr.com...
> On 5/12/05 12:12 PM, in article
> xfLge.206027$cg1.60759@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net, "George
> Gleason"
> <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>>
>>> What is it with the Behringer kiss-asses in this group?!! Do you all
>>> have
>>> endorsements or something???
>>>
>> what is up with recommending known defective designs and overpriced junk
>> you all stupid or something?
>
> Known defective?

Yeppers. The well-known bang on power-down.

> Overpriced?

Oh yes. DCX2496 does a better job at half the price.

> How about reliable and right on the money for what you get with the
> driverack PA: Crossover, Parametric EQ, Graphic EQ, Compression, Feedback
> Supression, Subharmonic Processor, Pink Noise Generator with RTA etc...

You forgot "handy feature if the power accidentally goes out - all your
drivers get toasted".

> For $500??? That's overpriced? You have to be kidding.

When the Behringer does more and costs less then the DRPA is indeed
overpriced.

Phildo
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 9:13:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

"shannon" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message news:4283153e$1@clear.net.nz...
>>>Behringer DCX2496
>>>
>>>
>>
>> http://www.xilica.com/products/dcp/dcp3060.html
>>
>>
> Interesting similarity
> http://www.voidaudio.com/dsps.asp
>
> deton look like they are making some "tributes"
> http://www.deton.com/html/DC260.html
> and alto / sekaku http://www.altoproaudio.com/html/crossovers_digital.php

Big difference with Behringer is the international after-sales service you
get. If one of these went wrong do you really think you'd get it fixed in a
hurry?

Phildo
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 9:18:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

"Mark" <marks@nospamhere.com> wrote in message
news:CdednUYqobeZ0B7fRVnyiw@pipex.net...
> One of the guys in the band has a Behringer V-AMP and it is noisy as hell,
> and you have to gate it a lot. The mixer in the practise room is a 1U
> rack mount Behringer line mixer (the RX1602 I believe) and we've started
> getting distortion on a few of channels on bass instruments (not clipping,
> not pre-amp, though it works on other channels).

The Behringer digital stuff is in a different world to the stuff you
mention.

> I'm not going to bash them generally as a company, perhaps this is there
> lower level stuff; you generally just get what you pay for, and even the
> best gear can develop faults. Having said that though, I do have a
> problem with them ripping off the designs of other company's to avoid the
> R&D costs. As a software engineer I do a lot of R&D myself; I'd be
> pig-sick if someone stole all my hard work and sold it cheaper because
> they didn't have to pay for the R&D.

That's bullshit and has been done to death on here many times already.

Phildo
!