Tom Dowd Documentary on Sundance Channel

Last response: in Home Audio
May 9, 2005 9:12:45 PM

I happened to see this Saturday. Fascinating story about the ex-
Manhattan Project scientist who became the first guy to take
multitrack recording beyond 3-track, and the range of artists he
worked with - from jazz legends through R&B at Stax, British blues,
and the rise of Southern Rock. You get to hear him remix "Layla"...

If you missed it last year, here's your chance!

FILM: Tom Dowd & the Language of Music
Channel: 549 SUNDANCE
Date: Wednesday 11th May 2005
Time: 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM PST (Also at 4:30 AM PST)
Duration: 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Recording engineer Tom Dowd works with music legends, including Dizzy
Gillespie, Charles Mingus, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Eric Clapton.
Director: Mark Moormann
(2003, Stereo, TVTV-G, NR, 3 Star)
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available
from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=5466
Copyright ©1999-2004 GipsyMedia Ltd.

<http://www.thelanguageofmusic.com/&gt;
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 9:29:49 PM

Thanks for posting this!

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"Loren Amelang" <loren@pacific.net> wrote in message
>I happened to see this Saturday. Fascinating story about the ex-
> Manhattan Project scientist who became the first guy to take
> multitrack recording beyond 3-track, and the range of artists he
> worked with - from jazz legends through R&B at Stax, British blues,
> and the rise of Southern Rock. You get to hear him remix "Layla"...
>
> If you missed it last year, here's your chance!
>
> FILM: Tom Dowd & the Language of Music
> Channel: 549 SUNDANCE
> Date: Wednesday 11th May 2005
> Time: 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM PST (Also at 4:30 AM PST)
> Duration: 1 hour and 30 minutes.
> Recording engineer Tom Dowd works with music legends, including Dizzy
> Gillespie, Charles Mingus, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Eric Clapton.
> Director: Mark Moormann
> (2003, Stereo, TVTV-G, NR, 3 Star)
> Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available
> from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=5466
> Copyright ©1999-2004 GipsyMedia Ltd.
>
> <http://www.thelanguageofmusic.com/&gt;
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 9:40:10 PM

Yes, I saw this last year. A "must see" for any recording artist or
engineer.
DaveT
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:49:59 AM

Great, great film!

Also available on DVD with some fun extras.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:50:00 AM

I saw the DVD and the extras, very entertaining!!

Neil R

!