Help needed with MN-500 & CWP-854 WIRELESS-G PCI ADAPTER.

Last response: in Networking
Share
June 2, 2004 12:23:51 PM

Hello All,

I purchased a CWP-854 WIRELESS-G PCI
ADAPTER for use with my MN-500 Microsoft base
station.

My computer is running WinXP sp1.
I installed the software/driver from the CD that came
with the CWP-854 WIRELESS-G PCI ADAPTER.

The CWP-854 WIRELESS-G PCI ADAPTER utility says it is
connected but it is only transmitting and not
receiving.

The MN-500 will not assign the CWP-854 WIRELESS-G PCI
ADAPTER an IP address in DCHP mode.

If I use a static IP address for the CWP-854
WIRELESS-G PCI ADAPTER the MN-500 base station still
will not allow it into the network.

The CWP-854 WIRELESS-G PCI ADAPTER's link status is
100%, and signal strength varies if I move it further
from or closer to the MN-500 base station. Even with
100% signal strength the CWP-854 WIRELESS-G PCI
ADAPTER is not allowed onto the network.

I have also tried using the Microsoft Broadband
Network Utility and when I open it is shows 11Mbps
then immediately goes to 'No Connection' & 'No
Signal'.

Thinking this is a security miscommunication I tried
the various security options or no securtiy in setting
up the MN-500. I tried a firmware update to the MN-500
but that made no difference to the problem.

I am not using a WEP keycode. I have tried using 64bit
WEP, 128bit WEP, and no WEP. I have turned power off
the MN-500, reset the MN-500, and still the CWP-854
WIRELESS-G PCI ADAPTER shows connection to the network
but cannot access the Internet or the other 2
computers on the network.

My MN-500 is connected to a Westell 2200 xdsl modem,
with a computer wired to the MN-500, and another
computer using an MN-730 wireless pci adapter.

Is the CWP-854 WIRELESS-G PCI ADAPTER incompatible
with the MN-500 or WinXP sp1, both, or is there some
solution to this problem?

Your help in resolving this issue is greatly
appreciated.

Have a good day,
Jack
June 2, 2004 1:31:04 PM

jack,

Sorry. This is a stupid question, but since you did not
mention it in your detailing I have to ask.

The CWP-854 adapter is 802.11g, while the MN-500 is an
802.11b compliant device. Did you set-up your adapter
for 802.11b compliancy or leave it as 802.11g?

June 3, 2004 1:01:31 PM

Hi,

No stupid questions here if it means getting the help I
need.
I tried both the 802.11b & 802.11b/g options the nic
utility provides.
-jack.

a b F Wireless
June 3, 2004 2:57:33 PM

jack,

Keep it configured for 802.11b protocol since that is all
the MN-500 can handle. Since you have the MN-500, you must
have the Microsoft CD setup wizard that came with it.

Use that CD to install/establish contact with the
adapter. It will prompt you on the first page "Install
new product...". Go ahead and let it install the CWP-
854. Since you already have the drivers installed for the
CWP-854, there should be a problem.

June 6, 2004 8:31:54 PM

Hi,

Thanks for trying to help. Tried your suggestion and the
adapter is still incommunicato with the base station.
Honestly, I think the adapter is pinging its heart out,
but the microsoft products just don't want to play nice.
I'm getting a refund on the adapter & will go with another
microsoft wireless or maybe a powerline adapter.
-jack.

!