Xp and 7 dualboot??

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
hi i am running windows 7 on mypc,
i have 2 partitions, one is 120gb,
the other 300gb, im running my os on the first hard disk and dont want to reformat it, it has all my stuff on it, and i want to dual boot xp 32 bit on my other partition. i have found asolution butdon'tknowhow to do it somehelpwould benice this is the solution i foun:

Okay, I've installed XP on a separate partition of my system's second physical disk and as expected, ended up not being able to boot into Win 7 64.

As advised in this thread, I used my Win 7 install CD to "fix" the issue but then ended up not being able to boot into Win XP. To fix this I downloaded EasyBCD and used that to recreate a Win XP boot menu entry but had to copy the NTDETECT and NTLDR files from the root of my XP install disk into the boot disk.

Now when I boot I get the Win 7 and Win XP menu options with a 30 sec timeout to boot into Win 7.

Just thought I'd let you all know.

Unplug every hard drive in the computer except the one you want to install XP on to. Insert your XP disk and proceed with the install. Once the install is done, plug the rest of your drives back into the system and tell the system to boot from the drive with Windows 7 on it. Download and install EasyBCD, add an entry for the Windows XP install and point it to the appropriate drive. Make sure that whenever you reboot your computer, that you are always booting from the Windows 7 drive, then pick the entry in the boot list for Windows 7 or Windows XP.

Your other option would be to leave the drive with Windows 7 as the default boot drive, and manually pick the second hard drive to boot from so you boot into XP.

Since you only have one hard disk, with two partitions, I'd recommend getting a 2nd HD and doing as recommended above.

You can install a 2nd OS to a 2nd partition but it gets complicated when they are not installed in the order in which they came out.

IS your Win 7 version professional ? If so have you tried XP mode to accomplish your goal ?

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
loook how about if i try and cut one ofmy hard disks, theone im using, into 3 partitions, first one ofthe partitions has my original 7, then second i instal xp, them i instal 7 again on my 3rd partition, i would have 3 window, 2 win 7and one xp, wouldi be given the choice of which windows to install??

ulysses35

Distinguished
Im not entirely sure why people want to dual boot XP and Windows 7 - XP might be slightly faster - but the service pack for W7 should change that. Other than that Windows 7 runs everything I used to run in XP and Vista with no problems.

jamesburns00

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

You are right every application runs very fine on windows 7 there is no need to have xp for some applicant , windows 7 support most of the applications.

Thanks