Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)
"tjb" <email@example.com> wrote in message news:firstname.lastname@example.org...
| Ok so I just installed AoE2 conquerors expansion pack and
| when I try to load it, it keeps saying "Cannot locate the
| CD-ROM, Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and
| restart the application."
| Yes I've inserted the correct CD and rebooted and so on
| and so forth, any other ideas?
Let's try troubleshooting that issue. Here's some solutions which have worked:
2. You might be affected by problems similar to the Insert CD error.
- Try the advice and DL at: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228985
Another trick that I found sometimes works is to make the limited account an
administrator account and run that game once. This should create the registry
settings and permissions for that user to be able to properly run the game.
3. Kazaa or Kazaa light is installed on your system.
- Uninstall the game(s) and Kazaa, and reinstall from original CD.
4. Multiple CD drives on your system including Virtual CD drives.
- Disconnect all but the main CD drive and try the game. You
might have an older drive, or a CD Writer which is incompatible
with the Safe Disk copy protection on the CD. (Contact Vendor).
5. Your antivirus or application firewall might be conflicting with it.
- Disable the software temporarily.
10. If you created other drive letters on your system by installing another drive,
creating partitions or virtual drives you may need to change the CD back
to the same drive letter it was originally. Usually the CD uses the letter D:
- Click Start / Run / type: diskmgmt.msc < to access the tool to change it.
After you reboot, try the game again. If it works, save a new restore point.
Lastly, boot up your system, turn on your XP Internet Firewall, plug back
into your Internet connection and install all Critical and Recommended updates
from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com one at a time. Test the game after
each update to find which is causing the game not to start on your PC. :-)