Strange Issues

scoffyburito

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Hello,
Ive just built my first PC and have been encountering strange issues that I cant figure out alone.
Its specs are:
i3-2120
Asus HD7770
Enermax Tomahawk II 500w
Adata 4GB DDR3 1333
Gigabyte H61MA-D3V
AOC F22

Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate

First of all the graphics display out put changes at random from the mobo to the graphics card. It sometimes changes after an Intel graphics update or just when it wants to. I have a DVI-> VGA adapter on the video card because I don't own a DVI cable (yet) I've installed all the correct drivers as well. If it changes to the built in graphics; ASUS GPU Tweak will say failed to load dlls. Please install VGA drivers. Luckily sometimes if I reboot it will change output to the graphics card and all is well. I'm not perfectly sure on drivers because GPU-z usually displays my correct video card ( Asus HD 7770) but I found drivers off the AMD website and they display it as a generic Radeon HD 7700 Series.

Secondly just today I tried to plug in my old clunky external HDD that requires external power. I plugged it into a USB 3.0 port and windows threw me an error saying the usb port hub had exceeded its power limit. It then shuts off ALL the usb ports on the mobo and they only come back on after unplugging the ac power.

I also tried installing the drivers provided with the mobo but it installed a whole lot of crapware and then after a reboot I couldn't log on with windows saying 'Welcome' for an hour.
I fixed it by installing Windows 7 again and that fixed a few issues (including strange pixelated icon shortcuts on my desktop)

I don't overclock (yet :p)

Thanks in advance

scoffyburito

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

I disabled that and just today it swapped display ports again but nothing was displayed on either so I had to reset my BIOS :(
It happens at completely random times. It finally came back outputting on the graphics card but just as I was typing this message the PC flickered and the screen appeared with bold orange and black vertical stripes. I was only in Firefox. It then again swapped output back to the internal graphics. Any help? :D

I don't get abnormal GPU temps its about 20c idle and 42c 100% usage
I played 4 hours on BF3 and didn't get a single error

scoffyburito

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Now it has swapped back to the graphics card and right when I try to launch Battlefield 3 it freezes and gives me now multicolored stripes and I solve that with a hard reboot. It then boots up on the internal graphics saying Windows couldnt start properly. 10 minutes later of waiting for it 'Attempting to fix errors' it says please contact your computer admin for further help and it only gives me the option to turn off. What is happening!

scoffyburito

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I have never heard of these problems either :) The motherboard was the cheapest I could get, any known problems with cheap motherboards I have overlooked?

My main problem now is the freezing that happens and it unfreezes in a few minutes with no BSOD or any errors. The aero loading circle appears and slightly jitters from side to side very subtly. It hasn't been changing ports for a few days luckilly

scoffyburito

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I had a BSOD just now with it saying DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL athrx.sys

I have now installed the LAN driver and installed Etron USB 3.0 drivers (which weren't installed)
Now whenever I play on my technic Minecraft server, it freezes and goes white saying someone to the lines of 'The AMD driver has stopped responding and has recovered' I'm now on the Catalyst 12.6 Drivers which I thought would fix my freezing problems.
Aren't these the issues that surrounded the HD5000 series???