Keyboard Controller Advice?

Last response: in Home Audio
May 11, 2005 4:00:59 AM

I've recently made the move into digital home recording. I'm running 1.47 Gh
Mac G4 with Tiger, Garageband (thinking about getting Cubase), Edirol FA-66
Interface.. I've come to the realization that a keyboard controller is a
necessity. I'm not a particularly accomplished pianist but I think it would
still greatly facilitate the recording process. I'm looking to spend as
little as possible.. absolutely under a thousand bucks. I don't really need
onboard sounds but it might be nice to have them, (I used to have a Kurzweil
and I really liked several of the sounds). I'd like weighted keys or at
least velocity sensitive keys. I don't know if a full 88 key range is
necessary and my studio is somewhat limited in space so I could make do with
a more compact keyboard. I've been looking at Edirol, Evolution, Studio
Logic and I'm still tempted to go back to the Kurzweil although it is a more
expensive option. I've read and heard a lot of negatives about M-Audio and
Fatar. Any advice will be gratefully received.

Bacon
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 4:01:00 AM

I thought the Fatar weighted key controllers were OK? Fatar makes
keyboards for many of the name brand companies, except Yamaha if I
remember correctly. They probably make them for Kurzweil. You could
also look at a Yamaha weighted key controller as their action might
feel a little different.

I don't think anyone makes a weighted-key model in anything less than
88 keys... one of my personal peeves. It would be nice if you could
get a smaller keyboard with real action.

Al

On Wed, 11 May 2005 00:00:59 -0600, Banjo Bacon <xbacon@mac.com>
wrote:

>I've recently made the move into digital home recording. I'm running 1.47 Gh
>Mac G4 with Tiger, Garageband (thinking about getting Cubase), Edirol FA-66
>Interface.. I've come to the realization that a keyboard controller is a
>necessity. I'm not a particularly accomplished pianist but I think it would
>still greatly facilitate the recording process. I'm looking to spend as
>little as possible.. absolutely under a thousand bucks. I don't really need
>onboard sounds but it might be nice to have them, (I used to have a Kurzweil
>and I really liked several of the sounds). I'd like weighted keys or at
>least velocity sensitive keys. I don't know if a full 88 key range is
>necessary and my studio is somewhat limited in space so I could make do with
>a more compact keyboard. I've been looking at Edirol, Evolution, Studio
>Logic and I'm still tempted to go back to the Kurzweil although it is a more
>expensive option. I've read and heard a lot of negatives about M-Audio and
>Fatar. Any advice will be gratefully received.
>
>Bacon
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:15:55 PM

> I thought the Fatar weighted key controllers were OK? Fatar makes
> keyboards for many of the name brand companies, except Yamaha if I
> remember correctly. They probably make them for Kurzweil. You could
> also look at a Yamaha weighted key controller as their action might
> feel a little different.
>
> I don't think anyone makes a weighted-key model in anything less than
> 88 keys... one of my personal peeves. It would be nice if you could
> get a smaller keyboard with real action.
>
> Al

Fatar rules - gigged mine (SL880) for 10 years now, and still going strong
albeit it with a couple of dead notes right up the top end . great feel to
the keys, and at the time I got it (£600) I seem to remember there was a 61
note version as well as a ninety-something note one too

daz
May 11, 2005 7:15:49 PM

"Banjo Bacon" <xbacon@mac.com> wrote in message
> I've recently made the move into digital home recording. I'm running 1.47
> Gh
> Mac G4 with Tiger, Garageband (thinking about getting Cubase), Edirol
> FA-66
> Interface.. I've come to the realization that a keyboard controller is a
> necessity. I'm not a particularly accomplished pianist but I think it
> would
> still greatly facilitate the recording process. I'm looking to spend as
> little as possible.. absolutely under a thousand bucks. I don't really
> need
> onboard sounds but it might be nice to have them, (I used to have a
> Kurzweil
> and I really liked several of the sounds). I'd like weighted keys or at
> least velocity sensitive keys. I don't know if a full 88 key range is
> necessary and my studio is somewhat limited in space so I could make do
> with
> a more compact keyboard. I've been looking at Edirol, Evolution, Studio
> Logic and I'm still tempted to go back to the Kurzweil although it is a
> more
> expensive option. I've read and heard a lot of negatives about M-Audio
> and
> Fatar. Any advice will be gratefully received.
>
> Bacon

Casio has a weighted 88-key keyboard that feels great, for $700!

I saw this at Sam's Club (of all places) recently and I'm sure you could
look it up on Casio.

Tom P.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 7:38:11 PM

If you want a great action, try a used fp8 03 fp3 by Roland. Definitely
under a grand. Decent piano sounds and a few others but feels as close to a
real piano as I've ever played

Rick Hollett
"Henry Padilla" <padillah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Banjo Bacon" <xbacon@mac.com> wrote in message
> > I've recently made the move into digital home recording. I'm running
1.47
> > Gh
> > Mac G4 with Tiger, Garageband (thinking about getting Cubase), Edirol
> > FA-66
> > Interface.. I've come to the realization that a keyboard controller is
> > necessity. I'm not a particularly accomplished pianist but I think it
> > would
> > still greatly facilitate the recording process. I'm looking to spend
as
> > little as possible.. absolutely under a thousand bucks. I don't really
> > need
> > onboard sounds but it might be nice to have them, (I used to have a
> > Kurzweil
> > and I really liked several of the sounds). I'd like weighted keys or at
> > least velocity sensitive keys. I don't know if a full 88 key range is
> > necessary and my studio is somewhat limited in space so I could make do
> > with
> > a more compact keyboard. I've been looking at Edirol, Evolution, Studio
> > Logic and I'm still tempted to go back to the Kurzweil although it is a
> > more
> > expensive option. I've read and heard a lot of negatives about M-Audio
> > and
> > Fatar. Any advice will be gratefully received.
> >
> > Bacon
>
> Casio has a weighted 88-key keyboard that feels great, for $700!
>
> I saw this at Sam's Club (of all places) recently and I'm sure you could
> look it up on Casio.
>
> Tom P.

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 2:01:57 AM

I really don't know much about these things. My decision against Fatar was
based on a lot of negative reviews I've read while researching on the web.
You're right about Fatar making Kurzweil actions, I didn't know that until
today and I really liked the action on the Kurzweil I had. You are also
right about the 88 keys units being the only ones with weighted keys so
that's probably what I'll end up with.

On another note.. I dropped by the local music store to get their opinion
and the manager (who also happens to be my son) strongly recommended the
M-Audo Pro 88. I had already decided against M-Audio because of several
strongly negative user reviews, but now I'm back into consideration of that
one as well..

Thanks!

Bacon

On Wed, 11 May 2005 01:00:45 -0600, playon wrote
(in article <a7b381l7a5odllv4pe9ca29hehfq8n4elf@4ax.com>):

> I thought the Fatar weighted key controllers were OK? Fatar makes
> keyboards for many of the name brand companies, except Yamaha if I
> remember correctly. They probably make them for Kurzweil. You could
> also look at a Yamaha weighted key controller as their action might
> feel a little different.
>
> I don't think anyone makes a weighted-key model in anything less than
> 88 keys... one of my personal peeves. It would be nice if you could
> get a smaller keyboard with real action.
>
> Al
>
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 00:00:59 -0600, Banjo Bacon <xbacon@mac.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I've recently made the move into digital home recording. I'm running 1.47
>> Gh
>> Mac G4 with Tiger, Garageband (thinking about getting Cubase), Edirol FA-66
>> Interface.. I've come to the realization that a keyboard controller is a
>> necessity. I'm not a particularly accomplished pianist but I think it
>> would
>> still greatly facilitate the recording process. I'm looking to spend as
>> little as possible.. absolutely under a thousand bucks. I don't really
>> need
>> onboard sounds but it might be nice to have them, (I used to have a
>> Kurzweil
>> and I really liked several of the sounds). I'd like weighted keys or at
>> least velocity sensitive keys. I don't know if a full 88 key range is
>> necessary and my studio is somewhat limited in space so I could make do
>> with
>> a more compact keyboard. I've been looking at Edirol, Evolution, Studio
>> Logic and I'm still tempted to go back to the Kurzweil although it is a
>> more
>> expensive option. I've read and heard a lot of negatives about M-Audio and
>> Fatar. Any advice will be gratefully received.
>>
>> Bacon

May 12, 2005 9:53:58 AM

I have been using an Evolution 4-0ctave USB keyboard for a while . . .
it's great, no problems at all. I chose only 4-octaves because I need
to use it live with computer, for which it's very suitable.

Chris
(http://www.chris-melchior.com/strings.htm REAL strings for realistic
prices)
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 4:47:13 PM

Isn't Studio Logic and Fatar the same thing?

We have a Fatar/SL990 and 880 around here and they are pretty good.
Solid use and abuse by students and they survive. The action isn't the
same as a piano, but I've personally never played any MIDI controller
that is. We've got the lower end Fatar stuff (SL61 or whatever) and
that model (at this point) is definitely inferior to the newer M-Audio
USB 61es keystation stuff. But that's below your range probably anyway....

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

Banjo Bacon wrote:
> I've recently made the move into digital home recording. I'm running 1.47 Gh
> Mac G4 with Tiger, Garageband (thinking about getting Cubase), Edirol FA-66
> Interface.. I've come to the realization that a keyboard controller is a
> necessity. I'm not a particularly accomplished pianist but I think it would
> still greatly facilitate the recording process. I'm looking to spend as
> little as possible.. absolutely under a thousand bucks. I don't really need
> onboard sounds but it might be nice to have them, (I used to have a Kurzweil
> and I really liked several of the sounds). I'd like weighted keys or at
> least velocity sensitive keys. I don't know if a full 88 key range is
> necessary and my studio is somewhat limited in space so I could make do with
> a more compact keyboard. I've been looking at Edirol, Evolution, Studio
> Logic and I'm still tempted to go back to the Kurzweil although it is a more
> expensive option. I've read and heard a lot of negatives about M-Audio and
> Fatar. Any advice will be gratefully received.
>
> Bacon

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 12:56:33 AM

here are the three main things to consider:
1) how many keys do you want
2) do you want a lot of buttons, sliders and knobs
3) do you want weighted keys or organ-style keys

no one is better than the other. lots of keys is nice, but a space
hog. sliders are cool, but can be a distraction and dust collector if
you don't use them, etc.

$1000 is quite a generous price ceiling for a sound-less midi keyboard
these days. you can get gobs of stuff in the $300-600 range in all
shapes and sizes.

Surprisingly, CASIO (yes Casio!) has a rather good piano-action
keyboard out now. One is about $400 and the other is about $500.
Surpisingly decent weighted-action keys for the price and good piano
sounds. Not a lot of buttons, but that's not the point of it. Worth
checking out if you want a "weighted-action plain Jane".
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 1:38:43 PM

!