MIDI Clock from Audition/CEP

Last response: in Home Audio
May 11, 2005 3:46:58 PM

I'm using Adobe Audition 1.5 and trying to get an older drum machine
(Roland R5) to synch up to it.

The R5 doesn't accept MTC, only MIDI clock (w/song position); anybody
know if I can get MIDI Clock out of Audition?

I know Audition is successfully generating MTC: If I set the session
timescale to one of the SMTPE varieties, my MIDI interface shows
activity on the output. If I set the timescale to Bars:Beats nothing
is coming out.

Note that if I set the timescale to something invalid (like samples) I
get a warning that I can't generate SMPTE on that basis; I get no such
warning when I switch to bars & beats (the basis for MIDI clock).

If Audition won't do it directly, any ideas how else to accomplish it?

Also: I know the R5 accepts MIDI Clock fine; I've used it with a Roland
VS880EX workstation and it does fine.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 1:42:08 AM

In article <1115837217.998923.219630@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> heytud@yahoo.com writes:

> I'm using Adobe Audition 1.5 and trying to get an older drum machine
> (Roland R5) to synch up to it.
>
> The R5 doesn't accept MTC, only MIDI clock (w/song position); anybody
> know if I can get MIDI Clock out of Audition?

I suspect that you can't. But there are hardware gadgets that might
help you out. Check http://www.jlcooper.com but be prepared to pay
hardware prices. It's not a free software upgrade.

May 12, 2005 4:57:00 PM

"Theodore Kloba" <heytud@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Adobe Audition 1.5 and trying to get an older drum machine
> (Roland R5) to synch up to it.
>
> The R5 doesn't accept MTC, only MIDI clock (w/song position); anybody
> know if I can get MIDI Clock out of Audition?
>
> I know Audition is successfully generating MTC: If I set the session
> timescale to one of the SMTPE varieties, my MIDI interface shows
> activity on the output. If I set the timescale to Bars:Beats nothing
> is coming out.
>
> Note that if I set the timescale to something invalid (like samples) I
> get a warning that I can't generate SMPTE on that basis; I get no such
> warning when I switch to bars & beats (the basis for MIDI clock).
>
> If Audition won't do it directly, any ideas how else to accomplish it?
>
> Also: I know the R5 accepts MIDI Clock fine; I've used it with a Roland
> VS880EX workstation and it does fine.

Hi Theodore,

Does the R5 output MIDI clock? If so, play your drum track from the R5 while
recording the MIDI clock output from it onto a track on Audition. Then you
can use the play-back of that track to trigger the drum machine to later
play along.

You should be able to do this with any recorder. in the past, I did it with
an analog recorder and a older drum machine.

Mike
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 5:20:33 PM

On 11 May 2005 11:46:58 -0700, Theodore Kloba <heytud@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm using Adobe Audition 1.5 and trying to get an older drum machine
> (Roland R5) to synch up to it.

You can't do this with Audition. You might be able to use Midi Ox/Midi
Yoke to create a virtual Midi port which could then internally connect to
a sequencer program. The sequencer could then translate Audition's MTC
into Midi Start/Stop and clock messages.

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 6:38:31 PM

Yeah-- This is how I used to do it with my Tascam488 Cassette
8-track... Just "stripe" a track with the clock from the R-5. I was
hoping to avoid this because:

1. I have to spend time making the virtual stripe before I can record
an idea. (This is more of a composition tool than a recording
technique for me).

2. I have to make sure the stripe is long enough.

3. I have to have the R-5 plugged in to act as my metronome, since
Audition's internal metronome won't be sync'ed.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:28:54 AM

Theodore Kloba wrote:

> I'm using Adobe Audition 1.5 and trying to get an older drum machine
> (Roland R5) to synch up to it.
>
> The R5 doesn't accept MTC, only MIDI clock (w/song position); anybody
> know if I can get MIDI Clock out of Audition?
>
> I know Audition is successfully generating MTC: If I set the session
> timescale to one of the SMTPE varieties, my MIDI interface shows
> activity on the output. If I set the timescale to Bars:Beats nothing
> is coming out.
>
> Note that if I set the timescale to something invalid (like samples) I
> get a warning that I can't generate SMPTE on that basis; I get no such
> warning when I switch to bars & beats (the basis for MIDI clock).
>
> If Audition won't do it directly, any ideas how else to accomplish it?
>
> Also: I know the R5 accepts MIDI Clock fine; I've used it with a Roland
> VS880EX workstation and it does fine.

N-Track does both MTC and Midi Clock, "chase" and
send. Ain't technically free, but it's cheap. I
don't think it'll resolve timecode, but it'd drive a
drum machine.

--
Les Cargill
Anonymous

Just for a laugh, I recorded the R-5 drum machine's tape sync output
into Audition (along with the audio on another channel).

It turns out to be a ridiculously simple signal:

~1305 Hz square wave is output while idling.

While playing, each beat is divided into 24 ticks; within each tick,
the signal changes to ~2085 Hz for the first half the tick, and then
back to 1305 Hz for the second half. This just repeats until the Stop
is pressed.

When compared to the audio signal, the ticks arrive 6 ms ahead of the
beats. I tried this at several tempos between 50bpm & 200 bpm and the
6ms delay is constant.

Whether it's worth the effort to fake this signal remains to be seen...

!