network problems

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

hi. i just got AOE II:AOK & AOE II:Conq. Exp....
Anyways I've been playing and in single players it works
perfect on my machine. So i went to multiplayer, and under
the TCI/IP LAN option, the game found my other
computer"aaa's game". I cliked in "Join". the screen
looked like it was going to join the game, but just when i
thought i was in, a message appeared "could not join
game". I updated the game in BOTH computers to the same
version. but nothing. I have 2 PCs(A and B), but for some
reason,PC "A" sees PC"B". But computer"B" doesnt find
computer "A". So i wonder if its a network problem or a
game problem..
please help, i will be very grateful
1 answer Last reply
More about network problems
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

    Hi Aruel,

    When LAN games don't connect, there are a few variables to consider, for
    example check for a patch at: www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

    1. Disconnect from the Internet by physically unplugging the cable or DSL
    line, and then since there's no longer danger of outside attacks, turn off
    your software firewall (Norton's, McAfee, Zone Alarm, Outpost, ICF,
    etc.) as these firewalls could be blocking data to and from your system.

    2. If you use a router, it could be blocking you as well:
    Routers have built-in port blocking firewalls based on NAT technology.
    DirectX games require that ports be open in order for the data packets
    to be able to travel from one system to another. Here's How to Configure
    a router for Multiplayer: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#howto

    3. If Step 1 applies to you, but you want an alternative solution, pick up a cross-
    over cable from your local supply shop to directly connect one computer to
    the other on a 2 player LAN, especially if both computers are close together.

    4. If you have multiple network adapters, the game might be using the wrong one
    To verify this behaviour, click Start / Control Panel / System / Hardware Tab
    / Device Manager, click the + next to Network Adapters, right click the adapter
    which accesses the Internet, and "Disable" it from the right-click menu. If that
    works, open Control Panel / Network Connections, click Advanced / Advance
    Settings / click the LAN Connection and then the UP arrow to change it's priority
    so it's at the top of the list. Test your Internet games to see if they work this way.

    5. DirectX 9.0b may need to be installed on both systems:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/9/c/c9c8a1d4-7690-4c98-baf3-0c67e7f3751f/dx90update_redist.exe

    6. Universal PnP might need to be disabled in your router, or in Windows XP:
    a) To enable or disable UPnP in XP, click Start / Run / type: services.msc
    and you can then right-click Universal Plug and Play on the list to Start it.
    b) Consult your router manual for the UPnP instructions for your model.

    7. Network Adapter drivers may need to be updated on one or all machines.

    8. You may need to specify the target IP using a game specific method.
    Consult your game manual or readme file in the game directory. For MS
    games: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;gmsnetw

    9. You might be specifying the Public IP instead of the Private (LAN) IP.
    To easily find the Public and Private IP numbers of the computer you
    are using, visit: http://www.u.arizona.edu/~trw/games/nat_or_not.php

    For more in depth troubleshooting, try this MS Network Troubleshooting article:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/russel/02april08.asp

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "aaa" <aruel100@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2a42e01c467bd$eb0ffd30$a601280a@phx.gbl...
    | hi. i just got AOE II:AOK & AOE II:Conq. Exp....
    | Anyways I've been playing and in single players it works
    | perfect on my machine. So i went to multiplayer, and under
    | the TCI/IP LAN option, the game found my other
    | computer"aaa's game". I cliked in "Join". the screen
    | looked like it was going to join the game, but just when i
    | thought i was in, a message appeared "could not join
    | game". I updated the game in BOTH computers to the same
    | version. but nothing. I have 2 PCs(A and B), but for some
    | reason,PC "A" sees PC"B". But computer"B" doesnt find
    | computer "A". So i wonder if its a network problem or a
    | game problem..
    | please help, i will be very grateful

Computers Games Video Games