Backup and memory cards: is there really no auto-backup wi..

a b } Memory
July 6, 2004 11:40:31 PM

My CLIE TJ-27 has a 64MB memory stick. I put a few things on the
memory stick, in particular SplashPhoto, JFile, and even AvantGo will
use the memory stick.

Problem is, the MemoryStick is not backed up during a HotSync.

That's not acceptable.

I moved the data that I don't want to lose back into main memory.

Am I missing something, or is Palm/CLIE's implementation of backup for
memory cards rather incomplete? I'm hoping that normal behavior is to
backup the memory stick, and I'm just suffering a glitch.

Thanks!

john
jfaughnan@spamcop.net

meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, PalmOS, 5.2, CLIE TJ-27, backup, memory
card, memory stick, MemoryStick, SONY
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 7, 2004 12:07:03 AM

"John Faughnan" <jfaughnan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My CLIE TJ-27 has a 64MB memory stick. I put a few things on the
> memory stick, in particular SplashPhoto, JFile, and even AvantGo will
> use the memory stick.
>
> Problem is, the MemoryStick is not backed up during a HotSync.
>
> That's not acceptable.
>
> I moved the data that I don't want to lose back into main memory.
>
> Am I missing something, or is Palm/CLIE's implementation of backup for
> memory cards rather incomplete? I'm hoping that normal behavior is to
> backup the memory stick, and I'm just suffering a glitch.
>
> Thanks!
>
> john

John,

I'm not sure which utility (program) you're using on your Sony Clie; however, most backup programs
for Palm OS handhelds are simply designed to backup data on your handheld to a memory card, such as
BackupBuddyVFS--this program does just that.

However, there's also backup programs for Windows--its another program in addition to the Palm
application. BackupBuddy for Windows does just what you had in mind--it not only backs up data on
the handheld, but also the data found on a memory card (or stick in your case) during the hotsync
process.

Here's a link to the Windows desktop utility:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.s...

--
Best regards,

Todd Shillam
Information Technology Consultant
Shillam Technology
http://shillamtechnology.point2this.com
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 7, 2004 7:01:18 AM

On 6 Jul 2004 19:40:31 -0700, John Faughnan had this to say...

> My CLIE TJ-27 has a 64MB memory stick. I put a few things on the
> memory stick, in particular SplashPhoto, JFile, and even AvantGo will
> use the memory stick.
>
> Problem is, the MemoryStick is not backed up during a HotSync.
>
> That's not acceptable.
>
> I moved the data that I don't want to lose back into main memory.
>
> Am I missing something, or is Palm/CLIE's implementation of backup for
> memory cards rather incomplete? I'm hoping that normal behavior is to
> backup the memory stick, and I'm just suffering a glitch.
>
> Thanks!
>
> john
> jfaughnan@spamcop.net
>
> meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, PalmOS, 5.2, CLIE TJ-27, backup, memory
> card, memory stick, MemoryStick, SONY

The backup model for the Palmone is;
Everything you Hotsync to the RAM or the SD Card is copied to c:\...
\palm\[username]\backup, the only thing left to backup is the data in
RAM.
Why keep backing up the stuff that does not change?

If you break the model, you find a fix.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Jim Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b55236038c4081d989794@news.frontiernet.net>...
> > My CLIE TJ-27 has a 64MB memory stick. I put a few things on the
> > memory stick, in particular SplashPhoto, JFile, and even AvantGo will
> > use the memory stick.
> > Problem is, the MemoryStick is not backed up during a HotSync.

> The backup model for the Palmone is;
> Everything you Hotsync to the RAM or the SD Card is copied to c:\...
> \palm\[username]\backup, the only thing left to backup is the data in
> RAM.
> Why keep backing up the stuff that does not change?

Unfortunately, it's only the data on the PDA itself that's
automatically backed up by PalmOne's software. MemoryStick or other
memory card data is not backed up. The BackupBuddy site confirms this,
as does my testing.

BackupBuddy will do a backup from the memory stick, but it won't do a
restore. You have to mount the MS in a card reader and restore via the
Windows file manager. (There's another even less elegant approach if
one lacks a card reader.)

I suspect BB can't do a restore because there's missing OS
functionality. This is really functionality PalmOne ought to provide.
I suspect it's one of those things that went overboard at the end of
the 2nd golden age [1].

I'll use my MS to store data that is not essential and that can be
regenerated as needed. I'll also use the SONY CLIE MemoryStick backup
utility for the OS.

john

[1] Society for the preservation of the true pda.
http://onetruepda.blogspot.com/
The first golden age was the Newton. The second ended after the Palm
Vx when Microsoft destroyed the "one true" PDA market.

meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, PalmOS, 5.2, CLIE TJ-27, backup, memory
card, memory stick, MemoryStick, SONY
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 7, 2004 7:57:14 PM

On 7 Jul 2004 06:56:50 -0700, John Faughnan had this to say...

> Jim Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b55236038c4081d989794@news.frontiernet.net>...
> > > My CLIE TJ-27 has a 64MB memory stick. I put a few things on the
> > > memory stick, in particular SplashPhoto, JFile, and even AvantGo will
> > > use the memory stick.
> > > Problem is, the MemoryStick is not backed up during a HotSync.
>
> > The backup model for the Palmone is;
> > Everything you Hotsync to the RAM or the SD Card is copied to c:\...
> > \palm\[username]\backup, the only thing left to backup is the data in
> > RAM.
> > Why keep backing up the stuff that does not change?
>
> Unfortunately, it's only the data on the PDA itself that's
> automatically backed up by PalmOne's software. MemoryStick or other
> memory card data is not backed up. The BackupBuddy site confirms this,
> as does my testing.
>
> BackupBuddy will do a backup from the memory stick, but it won't do a
> restore. You have to mount the MS in a card reader and restore via the
> Windows file manager. (There's another even less elegant approach if
> one lacks a card reader.)
>
> I suspect BB can't do a restore because there's missing OS
> functionality. This is really functionality PalmOne ought to provide.
> I suspect it's one of those things that went overboard at the end of
> the 2nd golden age [1].
>
> I'll use my MS to store data that is not essential and that can be
> regenerated as needed. I'll also use the SONY CLIE MemoryStick backup
> utility for the OS.
>
> john

Why backup stuff that has not changed? What a waste of time that is.
What a waste of time responding to your posts, you can't comprehend any
idea you haven't arrived at on your own.
Palm has been doing it wrong forever because you say so.
It will faithfully restore everything for me without wasting my time
backing-up everything that has not changed.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 7, 2004 11:00:42 PM

jfaughnan@spamcop.net (John Faughnan) wrote in

> Unfortunately, it's only the data on the PDA itself that's
> automatically backed up by PalmOne's software. MemoryStick or other
> memory card data is not backed up. The BackupBuddy site confirms this,
> as does my testing.

It's not PalmOne's software. It's Sony's or Blue Nomad's.

> BackupBuddy will do a backup from the memory stick, but it won't do a
> restore. You have to mount the MS in a card reader and restore via the
> Windows file manager. (There's another even less elegant approach if
> one lacks a card reader.)

If you have a card with no card reader, you're hamstringing yourself. A
card reader is one of the most essential devices for any type of card. For
<$20, there is no reason not to have one.

> I suspect BB can't do a restore because there's missing OS
> functionality. This is really functionality PalmOne ought to provide.
> I suspect it's one of those things that went overboard at the end of
> the 2nd golden age [1].

The functionality is there. If it's possible to hotsync to the card (and
it certainly is) then it's possible to restore to it. BB just doesn't try.
It also doesn't do many other things. That's why I don't use it.
BackupMan works for me, but it doesn't do backups to the PC if you need
that. I prefer to do that manually.

--
Regards,

Stan