Thermaltake Purepower w0008 question

kataliz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Hello all,
I've bought a Thermaltake Purepower W0008 PSU (420w)
I don't know much about the PSU's. So I have 2 questions:
1-I've shut down the PC but the PSU still remains warm. Is it normal (It's a little bit hot now) Do I have to shut down the PSU also.
2-I hear a strange noise from the PSU. It' not loud but it's like something is touching somewhere. this is when the case is open. ýs it normal?
thanks

kataliz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Sorry I've forgot tho put my configuration:
Intel p4 1.8 CPU with standart cooling.
Asus p4s533-E mainboard
kingston 512 MB 333 MHZ DDR
Leadtek 64 MB ti 42000 video card
US Robotics 56K modem (the connection is still slooooww here)
And a CODEGEN case.
thanks in advance for your help

basmic

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
1-I've shut down the PC but the PSU still remains warm. Is it normal (It's a little bit hot now) Do I have to shut down the PSU also.
2-I hear a strange noise from the PSU. It' not loud but it's like something is touching somewhere. this is when the case is open. ýs it normal?
This sounds like the PSU fan to me, possibly failing bearings. A failed fan will cause a PSU to overheat, possibly to a dangerous level of temperature.

<font color=orange><b>Some people don't realise that a mere two hours backing up their data is far quicker than redoing all the work again!</b></font color=orange>

kataliz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I don't hear these strange noise when the case is not open.
And the PSU is still warm (not hot) after working with the PC for about 20 mins (the case is not open now).
There is only 1 question remaining why the PSU becomes hot when I shut down the PC but not the PSU from the switch behind.
thank you

svol

Champion
Because the PSU is still active after you normally shut down your PC... it is still supplying a 5V stand-by voltage to the motherboard.

That sound you hear is that only when the PC is off or on?

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

kataliz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Because the PSU is still active after you normally shut down your PC... it is still supplying a 5V stand-by voltage to the motherboard.

About the 5V stand-by voltage: I think that you're right.
But the heat (When I touch the case) It becomes hot by the time. (much more then when the PC is working) I can understand this as the fans are not working when the PC is shut down.
But as my last PSU burnt to the ground :)) I fear. And I don't want to leave my PSU turned on. And I don't want to forget it turned on :)
Thank you

That sound you hear is that only when the PC is off or on?

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole

kataliz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Sorry about the order
About the 5V stand-by voltage: I think that you're right.
But the heat (When I touch the case) It becomes hot by the time. (much more then when the PC is working) I can understand this as the fans are not working when the PC is shut down.
But as my last PSU burnt to the ground :)) I fear. And I don't want to leave my PSU turned on. And I don't want to forget it turned on :)
Thank you

kataliz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
And I wonder if this heat is normal for a turned-off pc, and for a 5V stand-by voltage. And I wonder if I can disable this
Thank you

svol

Champion
Well if it gets really hot I don't call it normal... none of my PSUs get hot or even warm when plugged in but off. There might be something shorting out inside your case or even PSU.

And how about the sound you hear? Is it the fan or something else?

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

kataliz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Well
I don't hear it anymore. (Because the case is not open anymore :))
I can use my PSU 3-4 hours without interruption. And the PSU is warm. Nothing abnormal.
Thank you for your answers Svol.
ý sent a mail to thermaltake and the distributor in my country asking for this problem.
And I've encountered that the PSU I bought is not sold anymore (from the distributor I bought).
Well
for the sound I don't hear it anymore.
Thank you for your answers Svol