crazy power supply story

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
As I was shutting off my server a few hours ago (dual pentium II 400 etc...) I thought I'd check it's temp for the hell of it. Since it's a dual p2, I normally don't check it because it runs in the low 30s normally. When I checked it, it said 52C. I shat my pants wondering what was going on.

I pulled it out and discovered the power supply fan wasn't spinning at all.
Apparently what had happened was the last time I was messing with it, somehow I pinced one of the 80mm fan wires off (I put in a quieter 80mm fan very ghetto-ly)

The last time I had the case open was on my brother's birthday, on April 22nd.

I can thank my 4 case fans for allowing enough air through to keep my computer from crapping out. The power supply was very hot to the touch, and after reconnecting the fan, it's now running at a very nice 31C

It's all good ^_^

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AHA! It probably has a part number that starts out "FSP-"! You see, I've been promoting FSP power supplies as THE highest quality power supplies most of us can afford. Far better built than any of the more commonly recomended supplies you hear about.

The FSP group (Fortron/Source Power Man) makes supplies under their own brand (Newegg lists them as Fortron), Sparkle Power, Aopen, and "PC Power & Cooling". Inwin also uses Power Man supplies with a custom Inwin/Power Man lable.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>