Sign in with
Your question

Excessive Blue Screens, frustrated.

Last response: in Windows 7
July 5, 2012 11:07:28 PM

The topic title says it all. U-G-H, these blue screens. Below is a view from Blue Screen Viewer of just exactly what I am dealing with:

When it happens: Anytime, nothing specific. 5+ times daily.
Tools I've been using: Blue Screen Viewer, CPUID HWMonitor, MSI Afterburner
Things that I have ruled out: Overheating
Recent Hardware Changes: New i5 Sandy Bridge Processor, ASUS Motherboard, Corsair SSD, HD, Corsair Power Supply
Overclocked?: No
DXDiag:

I consider myself to be savvy with the technical aspects of computers, but as far as drivers, software knowledge, and kernel architecture.. my resources are limited. Please elaborate in laments terms :) 
a b $ Windows 7
July 5, 2012 11:54:27 PM

First thing to do is check the memory. Make sure the memory is set to the correct voltage and timings. It should be 1.5v RAM for a Sandy Bridge system. Then try running memtest for 8 to 10 hours.

http://www.memtest.org/

Edit: Also do you have all the latest drivers and BIOS from the motherboard manufacturer's website? Latest driver from Nvidia?

I assume you did a clean install of Windows when you updated your hardware?
m
l
July 9, 2012 2:14:12 AM

anort3 said:
First thing to do is check the memory. Make sure the memory is set to the correct voltage and timings. It should be 1.5v RAM for a Sandy Bridge system. Then try running memtest for 8 to 10 hours.

http://www.memtest.org/

Edit: Also do you have all the latest drivers and BIOS from the motherboard manufacturer's website? Latest driver from Nvidia?

I assume you did a clean install of Windows when you updated your hardware?

A clean install of windows, yes. I used the install disc when I got the mobo and I updated manually through windows explorer. When I update a BIOS driver, do I have to uninstall the old? I will run memtest tonight or tomorrow, I could never get the damned thing to work for me off of my thumb drive

edit: Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz) - this? o.O
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 9, 2012 8:00:50 AM

Try removing one stick of RAM at a time if you have difficulty with Memtest. Also swap them round slots. The random nature of your BSODs would suggest a memory prob.
m
l
July 9, 2012 2:20:07 PM

dodger46 said:
Try removing one stick of RAM at a time if you have difficulty with Memtest. Also swap them round slots. The random nature of your BSODs would suggest a memory prob.

You misunderstand me. I have issues getting the damned thing to run - like I said, software is not my strong suit ;p

edit// thumb drive not starting on bootup and I don't have a cdburner/floppy zz >< Might just buy new RAM and go from there
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 9, 2012 2:47:28 PM

Memtest runs outside of Windows so it can check all the RAM. You make a bootable disk with it.

Download the precompiled bootable .Iso

Burn the image to a CD. If you need a burning program use ImgBurn. It's free and very good.

http://www.imgburn.com/

After you burn the disk go in BIOS and change the boot order and make the DVD/CD drive first. Then the computer will boot off the memtest disk and not your hard drive.

Run memtest for 8 to 10 hours. Any errors at all even 1 means you either have a bad stick or it's configured wrong.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 9, 2012 2:50:21 PM

Well, still worth trying it with sticks of RAM removed, if it runs with one less you know its the one thats out at fault! Just remove one at a time and see if it boots and loads Windows without a BSOD
m
l
!