Voice Over Radio Tutorials?

Last response: in Home Audio
May 13, 2005 1:53:21 AM

Does anyone know of any online or offline tutorials for doing Voice Overs
for Radio Promos and such? I'm interested on how to do the mixing and
using the effects etc. I've searched and all I keep coming up with are
courses on being a voice over artist.
Thanks

More about : voice radio tutorials

May 13, 2005 4:19:47 AM

"Okidokee" <@nospam.com> wrote

> Does anyone know of any online or offline tutorials for doing Voice Overs
> for Radio Promos and such? I'm interested on how to do the mixing and
> using the effects etc. I've searched and all I keep coming up with are
> courses on being a voice over artist.

what effects are you talking about?
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 8:01:00 AM

I did a short course on radio work at a public educator, and they went
briefly into it. The next part course (which was cancelled, damn it)
was eight weeks towards mastering your own demo. We heard a couple of
sample demos, and that gave us an idea of what could be done in terms
of effects and managing the information in it. For example, there was
a change of pace from clear speaking to a suspense-filled moment of
dread. (Cue: distant powerful wind, increase the bass resonance of the
voice, add a little echo to make it seem wild and powerful).

There's always radio ad critiques, as well. They're around you all the
time, so you can always deconstruct them for your own benefit to
achieve certain effects.

One piece of advice in the course - regarding getting voice over work -
was to mimic certain radio ads. If, for example, you have a warm
bloke's voice, you should look at doing hardware store ads (Bunnings,
Mitre 10, etc). If you have - or can do - a mature female voice, you
may wish to do a weekend ABC newsreading stint. That way, your demo
can be attached to an existing role.

I've been playing around with some software called Cool Edit. It's
quite easy to learn, and you can manipulate sound grabs, download and
use effects, and play around with sound parameters (including voice).
My approach is to play for a while, but I don't have any strict goals
to reach, just yet.

Hope the adventure is enjoyable, and let me know how you go:
cremmerson@gmail.com.

Regards,

Distracted
May 13, 2005 8:04:14 AM

"Okidokee" wrote...
> Does anyone know of any online or offline tutorials for doing Voice
> Overs
> for Radio Promos and such? I'm interested on how to do the mixing
> and
> using the effects etc. I've searched and all I keep coming up with
> are
> courses on being a voice over artist.

Seems like pretty standard mixing procedures. Hard to answer
without knowing why you are asking or what previous experience
you have, etc.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 1:05:19 PM

"Okidokee" <@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know of any online or offline tutorials for doing Voice Overs
> for Radio Promos and such? I'm interested on how to do the mixing and
> using the effects etc. I've searched and all I keep coming up with are
> courses on being a voice over artist.
> Thanks

go here: http://www.harlanhogan.com/vaguide.shtml

Steve King
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 5:47:31 PM

Paging Mr Ford, Mr Rose?
Paging Mr Ford, Mr Rose?

On 5/12/05 9:53 PM, in article UJ6dndgZU-APlRnfRVn-pg@adelphia.com,
"Okidokee" <@nospam.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of any online or offline tutorials for doing Voice Overs
> for Radio Promos and such? I'm interested on how to do the mixing and
> using the effects etc. I've searched and all I keep coming up with are
> courses on being a voice over artist.
> Thanks

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 9:08:04 PM

Look around a www.musicbooksplus.com, there might be a couple of titles that
interest you...

-bg-
www.lchb.ca

"Okidokee" <@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know of any online or offline tutorials for doing Voice Overs
> for Radio Promos and such? I'm interested on how to do the mixing and
> using the effects etc. I've searched and all I keep coming up with are
> courses on being a voice over artist.
> Thanks

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 9:08:05 PM

> "Okidokee" <@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know of any online or offline tutorials for doing Voice Overs
>> for Radio Promos and such? I'm interested on how to do the mixing and
>> using the effects etc. I've searched and all I keep coming up with are
>> courses on being a voice over artist.
>> Thanks

Earlier I suggested Harlan Hogan's book, Voice Actor's Guide to Home
Recording, which is quite good. You might also enjoy Jay Rose's books on
sound for video. There's a lot of hands-on info about the various aspects
of sound processing in Non Linear Edit software. Go to:
http://www.dplay.com/book/index.html

Steve King
!