2.5" Flash Drives for Notebooks viability...

Status
Not open for further replies.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I have been getting a lot of questions about the new(er) 2.5" Flash Drives that you can use to take the place of a notebook hard drive. Seems like one of my competitors is touting that you should get this if you are "performance minded". Yeam that's true, the things are awesome. Another thing is the 16 GB IDE Flash Drive they are recommending is over $500 alone.

This will be cool when the price is driven down on sizable disks, or better yet dual hard drives, one flash for OS & programs... one conventional for storage, but right now this is really jumping the gun... unless you have alot of $$$.

Why a Flash Drive?
No Moving Parts
Extrememly Low Power Consumption
Extrememly Low Operating Temperature

Click to learn more about 2.5" Flash Drives

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
The price is ridiculous, but look at everything with computers... drops like a stone sonner or later.

Thing needs to be 60 gigs AT LEAST to be a viable alternative. .

Ice-Tea

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Depends. If they can cram 2HD's in a system (I believe some Clevo's have this option, notably 'The Brick') one could have the ultra fast primary Flash HD and a secondary, large, cheap normal HD for storage.

Sykotic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
How much performace increase? I know that I personally dont need alot of drive space for my laptop since all my files are kept on network storage. 16G seems like enough for my OS and most used files.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Yes, 18 GB is fine for OS & Programs, it sounds like you are primarily in a business environment with a limited amount of software.

As far as performance, the transfer rates look about the same... access times I don't know. I think you are looking at a reduction in heat and an increase in battery life due to less power usage as well as a bulletproof drive (no moving parts) for your main benefits over blazing fast performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.