Sign in with
Your question
Solved

5min delay on Welcome screen, then blank screen with cursor (windows7)

Last response: in Windows 7
July 6, 2012 3:49:03 AM

After leaving my comp on overnight i wake up to non-responding programs, i shut down manually and then as i restart this happens. 5minute lag on welcome screen and then it turns blue with a moveable cursor. cant find anything online to help,i have used system restore and created a new user but neither works. i can run perfectly on safe mode. help a nig out
a b $ Windows 7
July 6, 2012 4:03:51 AM

noobgotproblems said:
After leaving my comp on overnight i wake up to non-responding programs, i shut down manually and then as i restart this happens. 5minute lag on welcome screen and then it turns blue with a moveable cursor. cant find anything online to help,i have used system restore and created a new user but neither works. i can run perfectly on safe mode. help a nig out

most times it a damaged video driver or avi that hangs windows start up. bot into safe mode use a drive sweeper remove the video driver and your avi. (make sure you only have one loaded :) . also use ms config and turn every thing off in start up.
reboot if the error gone it was a damaged program in start up or the driver. reload the video driver and avi and reboot. if error gone then go into msconfig and slowly turn one program on at time. if no of them hang your error is gone.
m
l
July 6, 2012 4:08:41 AM

smorizio said:
most times it a damaged video driver or avi that hangs windows start up. bot into safe mode use a drive sweeper remove the video driver and your avi. (make sure you only have one loaded :) . also use ms config and turn every thing off in start up.
reboot if the error gone it was a damaged program in start up or the driver. reload the video driver and avi and reboot. if error gone then go into msconfig and slowly turn one program on at time. if no of them hang your error is gone.

Sorry bro but i have no idea on what you just said, could you give me a step by step on how i can do what you suggested? whats a drive sweeper and how can i remove the video driver and avi? thanks for taking the time to reply ive spent the whole afternoon trying to fix this.
m
l
Related resources
July 6, 2012 4:26:58 AM

noobgotproblems said:
Sorry bro but i have no idea on what you just said, could you give me a step by step on how i can do what you suggested? whats a drive sweeper and how can i remove the video driver and avi? thanks for taking the time to reply ive spent the whole afternoon trying to fix this.

Google will be often more helpful then people...

It's a bit too complicated to explain in a post, so try looking it up on youtube or something...
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
July 6, 2012 4:34:06 AM

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

download that and install it.

on cold boot hit f8 and go into safe mode.
type msconfig
http://support.gateway.com/s/software/microsof/vista/75...
unchecked everything that there.
go to programs...
uninstall
looks for the name of your anti virus software. (ie mcafees or nortons)
uninstall it.
dont reboot.
use drive sweeper
remover your ati or nvidia driver.
reboot.
if it goes into windows fine it may be fixed or it a registry issue.
July 13, 2012 5:01:55 AM

Best answer selected by noobgotproblems.
m
l
January 31, 2013 3:57:43 PM

Hi,
I had the same problem on 2 computers (Win7 32 bit).
As Lukin (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/14321-63-startup-dela...) suggested, I looked into the network problem.
I had network drives assigned to a NAS that is not always available ---
apparently the system tries to connect to them upon startup.
I deleted the drive associations, and now both computers start as they are supposed to.
Thanks!
m
l
May 16, 2013 4:22:19 AM

Hello,
Please check in the BOOT menu to enable BOTH UEFI and legacy systems. That did the trick for me :p 

Tilak.
m
l
!