Sign in with
Your question

Need help hooking up TV to my TV-out card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2003 9:03:02 AM

Ok, I've got an asus V9280/TD (gf4 ti4200-8x) and would like to hook up my tv to the s-video out jack on my vid card, to be able to use the TV as a second display and also watch movies on. Ok, here's the problem... My TV is pretty old and cheap.. its a Memorex, and its only plug/jack on the back is the connector for cable tv. Is there some kind of adapter or something I can buy to be able to plug the S-video connector into it? Both ends of the cable aren't S-video connectors.. just the end that plugs into the video card. The other end looks like one of the audio/video cables you plug into the VCR, not sure what these connectors are called.

More about : hooking card

June 9, 2003 4:07:36 PM

I am not sure of a manufacturer (although I assume its RCA) that makes an RF signal converter for plder TVs that only have a coax antenna input. The ones I have seen take in RCA jacks and convert to coax cable. I am not sure if they have them with S-Video. I know you can purchase them at Best Buy (www.bestbuy.com) but you might also be able to try Radio Shack.

Good Luck

What did we do before we had computers?
June 9, 2003 9:26:08 PM

Radio Shack has them. They're called RF Modulators. They'll take input from Composite/S-Video and output to standard coaxial.
June 11, 2003 8:38:18 AM

LMAO! You OWN a VCR and don't know what to do? You connect your Video Out from the PC to the VCR, set the TV to channel 3 (or what you have the VCR output set to), and VIOLA! As for the Audio, you get a Stereo Minijack to Stereo RCA cable and connect it from your speaker jack to the VCR audio input! Don't have a stereo VCR, just plug in one side!

Oh, as for the S-Video thing, your card was supposed to come with a 3" long cable with an S-Video jack on one and and an RCA jack on the other. You plug that into your S-Video output, and run an RCA cable to the VCR. The thing is called a "dongle" properly. Your S-Video jack probably has 6-pins instead of 4, the spare 2 are the ones that run through the dongle to the RCA output.

Sometimes these dongles are called adapters, but not to be confused with true converters, which screw up your signal...like I said, the cable should have came with your card. It probably has one yellow end one it and one black end. If you can't find it, order a new one from your supplier. If he can't find it, ask Asus for a distributor contact.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
!