QUESTION: How Do I Divide Up LIVE Music?

Last response: in Home Audio
May 13, 2005 5:44:50 PM

I have a client who has asked me to transfer some ancient cassette
tapes of his old band playing a live gig.

I managed to record the entire gig into my Mac running MOTU software.
(I used AudioDesk, but I also have Digital Performer).

I am just about ready to burn a CD of the cassette tape material, but I
don't know how to separate the individual songs into tracks that my
client will be able to jump directly to during playback.

I do not want to chop up the audio. I want my client to be able to hear
the entire gig seamlessly as if he were actually there at the gig, but
I also want him to be able to skip over to a certain song if he wants
to jump ahead.

How do I insert track markers so that he can access individual songs
WITHOUT chopping up the audio?

Is this possible or do I have to send it out for mastering?
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:40:43 PM

I have Roxio's Jam mastering software, and it allows me to insert track
index markers, too. But, at least from what I gather, this is not the
same as actual TRACK markers. I have inserted multiple index markers
using Jam, but the TRACK number remains the same. For my purposes, I
don't think that "track" markers and "index" markers are necessarily
the same thing...or are they?

Pat wrote:
> In article <1116017090.457306.242180@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> "EADGBE" <hwbosshoss@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Is this possible or do I have to send it out for mastering?
>
> TC Spark and Bias Peak both let you add track index markers.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:49:14 PM

A simple way to do this is to break the long file up into many smaller
files and then burn a CD without any pauses between the tracks.

Travis Garrison
Related resources
May 13, 2005 10:44:18 PM

In article <1116017090.457306.242180@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"EADGBE" <hwbosshoss@aol.com> wrote:

> Is this possible or do I have to send it out for mastering?

TC Spark and Bias Peak both let you add track index markers.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 11:18:29 PM

EADGBE <hwbosshoss@aol.com> wrote:
>I have a client who has asked me to transfer some ancient cassette
>tapes of his old band playing a live gig.

I hope you did it with the azimuth set properly and the dolby levels
set to reduce pumping.

>I managed to record the entire gig into my Mac running MOTU software.
>(I used AudioDesk, but I also have Digital Performer).
>
>I am just about ready to burn a CD of the cassette tape material, but I
>don't know how to separate the individual songs into tracks that my
>client will be able to jump directly to during playback.
>
>I do not want to chop up the audio. I want my client to be able to hear
>the entire gig seamlessly as if he were actually there at the gig, but
>I also want him to be able to skip over to a certain song if he wants
>to jump ahead.

I'm not sure what the problem here is. Most of the software I know of
allows you to take one long file and put track and index marks anywhere
along it. You can do this with the traditional Mac software like Gear
or Masterlist, but if you are running OSX you can also do it with
cdwrite if you like command line utilities.

>How do I insert track markers so that he can access individual songs
>WITHOUT chopping up the audio?

Using what cd writing software?
--scott
May 14, 2005 12:35:51 AM

In article <1116020443.438018.143230@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"EADGBE" <hwbosshoss@aol.com> wrote:

> I have Roxio's Jam mastering software, and it allows me to insert track
> index markers, too. But, at least from what I gather, this is not the
> same as actual TRACK markers. I have inserted multiple index markers
> using Jam, but the TRACK number remains the same. For my purposes, I
> don't think that "track" markers and "index" markers are necessarily
> the same thing...or are they?

I may not be using the correct terminology, and I definitely haven't
explained very well. Sorry, Spark is not installed on the computer I'm
using now so I can't consult the app or the manual.

Here's how it works. I import a 45 minute live concert into Spark, drop
markers on pauses between songs, then burn a CD. The markers become
track numbers, enabling you to skip through tracks. I've used Peak to do
exactly the same thing.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 12:35:52 AM

> "EADGBE" <hwbosshoss@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> I have Roxio's Jam mastering software, and it allows me to insert track
>> index markers, too. But, at least from what I gather, this is not the
>> same as actual TRACK markers. I have inserted multiple index markers
>> using Jam, but the TRACK number remains the same. For my purposes, I
>> don't think that "track" markers and "index" markers are necessarily
>> the same thing...or are they?

They are not. Index markers allow you to set points within a track. They
aren't really used very much although you sometimes still see them used on
classical albums. A lot of newer CD players can't even find indexes.

You want to set track markers, not index markers.
--scott

May 14, 2005 2:27:07 AM

On 13 May 2005 14:49:14 -0700, "Travis Garrison"
<travisgarrison@gmail.com> wrote:

>A simple way to do this is to break the long file up into many smaller
>files and then burn a CD without any pauses between the tracks.

Don't chop it up with just any old software, use something set to
cut at the nearest 1/75th second boundary. CD's use 75 sectors per
second, and if a track is not the right length, it will be filled out
(with silence) out to the next 1/75th second boundary, and will be an
audible gap between tracks.
The program at http://www.cdwave.com lets you do this amazingly
quickly and easily, and either write a separate .wav file for each
track (which any burning software will use) or write a .cue file (a
text file of the track times which not all software will use, but it's
more convenient).
And be sure to burn disc-at-once so you don't get those two-second
gaps between tracks.

>Travis Garrison

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley