What do you look for in a computer game?

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I have to admit I never go out just to buy a computer game. When I'm browsing in the shops (no, that doesn't make me a woman), If I find something I like I buy it, providing it doesn't have a ridiculous pricetag i.e. £44.99.

<font color=purple><b>Reality in a box:</b></font color=purple>
Amongst the games I own a vast number of them are of the "simulation" variety. I put the word simulation in quotes, because if you actually believe those things are simulating anything, well... you need to go out more often. The list includes games all the way from Microprose F15 Eagle III and MiG-29 to Janes F15 and Eurofighter Typhoon. I even own a Suncom F15 Talon Joystick. I pain an arm and a leg for it a quite few years back. The other day I was playing Janes F15 - "the most accurate simulation" and I just thought... 'hold on, is this really fun? This is crap.' Sometimes I do enjoy playing these games, but mostly they're as boring as hell. I just somehow convince myself that they're fun. You also have to master a 300 page manual before you even install the game. Almost makes me wanna say - I wanna play asteroids.

<font color=purple><b>OK... so maybe I know a bit about physics</b></font color=purple>
I also was playing Collin Mcrae Rally. That game isn't so "realistic" but it can be enjoyable. It can also be damn fustrating. When you hit a signpost or a sponsor boards on the roadside, the stupid car comes to a instant bloody halt. what the hell is that about? I mean, hey I don't go crashing into things when I drive but I'm sure if I did, I would go through a piece of damn card board. OK, so I'm not a huge fan of racing sims, but that is just rubbish.

<font color=purple><b>Go forth my minions and wreak total havoc</b></font color=purple>
I liked red alert 2. Unlike its predecessor and others of the genre, the units didn't mistake a simple command of - walk a straight line from A to B - as go half way across the map and wander around in enemy territory. But there wasn't enough content. The game finished too quickly. Perhaps I just enjoy these games cause I get immersed into building my army and then sit back and watch them destroy anything that isn't mine. (Actually I like stealing things with the engineer, and my <font color=red>"wall of yuri"</font color=red> is brilliant) These are good games, because they don't try to "simulate" anything real. Yes, there are wars in real life but...

<font color=purple><b>Sports is good but its just too tiring in real life</b></font color=purple>
Sometimes I do like playing these games especially football. (Real proper football, where you control the ball with your feet; not just pick it up and run around wearing poncy lycra.) But c'mon, I never baught a football "sim" in my life. I only play it in my friends house when there are loads of us there. I prefer to play it outside on the grass thank you very much.

<font color=purple><b>Anything that isn't you, is your enemy</b></font color=purple>
I like playing quake and other fps games. In easy mode, they are a brilliant way of stress relief. (My voodoo doll is pretty good too. But I gotta wait till the next morning to see the result of that. :wink: ) The problem is, most players of these games are concerned far too much with what they don't see and wouldn't be able to see anyway. You'll hear people gloating because they're machine churns out 200frames pers second over the next guys 195. I mean, what the hell is that all about? who gives a [-peep-] about stupid framerate like that. gimme 60fps, and I'm happy. OK... so 85fps does help a bit.

The best thing about these games is that, it is lightyears away from reality. you can get shot umpteen times and still survive. And if you can manage to get a picture of your boss and skin one of the characters with that. The game is even enjoyable in spectator mode. just release the hungry bots.

<font color=purple><b>A return to innocence</b></font color=purple>
What is the perfect computer game? Is it doom, the daddy of violent fps? Is it command & conquer, making stratagists out of all of us? Is it the ones serving our modern day fantasies of being in a jet fighter or $1m car? or is it soemthing much simpler? I would say tetris has achieved perfection. If the borg played computer games, thats what they'd play. It is nothing but a bunch of falling bricks you use to make lines. Thats all! The game defines simplicity it self. Since this game, there have been many clones and "improvments" on genre that never really took off. It is a game that you can play over and over and over through out the years, and still get immersed. I've seen nice calm girls get high on adrenelin playing this game on a monochrome gameboy.

Why are all the games these days cheap knock offs of the last knock off? Why can't all these big huge gaming corporations come up with new ideas. Is it really that difficult?

<font color=red><i>99% of statistics are made up!</i></font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
And why can't more games have nekkid chicks?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
If a game has very realistic, and amazing graphics (this means physics and the nice little things developers throw in), astaounding gameplay (should take me a few days at least to beat on easy- and the plot should be very loooong), learning curve of under 10 hours, hot, female character preferable:), but if not, then a cool looking one, 3d sound (me likes EAX), FPS with a little RPG thrown in (like Deus Ex), or action/adventure game (like Drakan), many different enemies and weapons. There, that basically sums it up.
To me, classical games are:
Deus Ex
Drakan
Half Life (hey, it had amazing graphics in its day).

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
*sigh*
This is almost my tag line; too bad I'm ripping it off of someone else:

"*Snooooooooooooooze*
Dude, that's one hell of a rant"

That said, Panzer General 2 is a good game, music and gameplay. I'm no war gamer, I'm a 'is-it-fun' gamer. Max Payne is pretty, Tomb Raider 2 has awesome music and decent gameplay, IwD roxx when it comes to storyline/music, Star Control 2 roxx when it comes to entire-game storyline/music, Bg2 has awesome gameplay, Fallout 1 has an awesome story/plot.

I'd have to say the storyline wins out on me, followed closely by music (atmosphere). Virtual Reality is what you make of it, and my ears/nose/fingers are more sensitive than my eyes. I'm not blind, but a couple more degrees refraction, and I might qualify.

Gfx are a must, only to the extent you can tell what's going on in the game. *BUT*, that's why 'action games' are action games; Unreal Tournament has a really week (not weak) storyline, but it's gameplay roxx. Virtual Reality Nekkid chicks will have a niche all of their own.

Holodecks will redefine male evolution.

Anything which is playable, fun, and doesn't sacrifice the game for the gfx. Too many games with wonderfull intros and no gameplay.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
Return to Castle Wolfenstein is the first FPS game in I can't remember how long, that has a GREAT single play as well as an out standing online mode. I must admit that I have MANY burned copys of games, but the ones that are really good (that I continue to play) I buy. This one has lots of the extras that most others do not.
-N-

The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Anything which is playable, fun, and doesn't sacrifice the game for the gfx.
Too bad, none of the big publishers see it that way. They want just another from the standard formula that made them millions.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I agree with the Half-Life suggestion.

It has a good storyline without all of the stupid movies of today's games. (I hate waiting five minutes for the movie dialogue to end. It is simple yet the crowbar makes a great sqwish-thud noise when you club someone with it. The weapons are realistic for the most part. Now Counterstrike has the best weapons for realism. The correct sound for each weapon. Good physics except for shooting someone in the foot and they die. (I always thought that was stupid.) Not many games now have the same simplistic, good storyline, good guys vs the bad guys vs the other bad guys, while maintaining eye-candy graphics approach.

I know it is now, what like 3 years old, but I still play it and have fun. (Single and multiplayer.)

P.S. Another good game for single play is/was AVP.

Back to the peanut gallery...

<b>"The events of my life are quite inconsequential.." - Dr. Evil</b> :lol:

Yep [sigh].

I find myself using my ZX Spectrum emulator, or loading up old DOS games quite often. When I find a game I like, I stick to it. There are decent games out there, but you usually have to buy 5 to find 1.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Xcom1 was a good game too. I think the developers/coders just grabbed every single tabloid they could get their hands on, and incorporated it into the game.

It's real close to believable. A bit like Fallout1. That's what makes a game stick with you...

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
1. Gameplay
2. Story
3. Graphics

I most of the breakthrough ideas have come with technological advances. Personally I think that in video games, the sequal usually surpasses the original. When they get into 3 and 4 is when the trouble starts. Right now we are at the limits of what we can do with games. It'll take another Voodoo1 type of device to jolt the game industry again.

Lay off the American Football you stuffy Brit. Give me the lycra over the little boy shorts any day of the week.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
- Half Life: A real breakthrew, scary, fabulous sound, long and excellent storyline. Used a cheat code to finish, way to long for me.
- Q3 & UT: Toogether because same genre, as single UT has more to it
- Silent Hunter: Yes this is really old. But sub games are cool. Make a mistake of judment that is not it, reaction time is long so you work till the bitter end.
- C&C, Red Alert: Just so easy to play.When put at hard setting is more fun, plan,plan and plan what you will do.
Yep, most are better than that other thing, Oh ya, TV :)

Danny

Electric coolaid for everyone, except me, never touch the stuff !

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think you hit the nail on the head, Pettytheft. Gameplay, Story, Graphics. I would add Innovation, Multiplayer as of lesser importance.
Games that I have played that fulfill all of these components near perfectly are Half Life, Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate 1& 2, Diablo2 LoD expansion, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Starcraft, Tribes, and Worms 2 (as well as Armageddon). Games that came darn close but lacked something major were Soldier of Fortune (mainly lacking a good storyline), UT and Q3A (UT not as much as Quake by pref, but both lack a single player), Tribes 2 (lacking innovation as it was almost the same as the first), and Daikatana (really lacking good gameplay).

I know I left out a few in each category as well as the millions of games that just plain suck. But the great games are the ones you install evertime you reformat and play even though you've got a brand new game sitting in the box. The games I am looking forward too as potential winners are Deus Ex 2, Half Life 2 (still a LONG way off), Unreal 2, Soldier of Fortune 2, Warcraft 3 (w00t beta sign ups Jan 7) and Neverwinter Nights. I hope they all turn out as beautiful as the look because it seems game developers are finally learning from previous mistakes made by the industry as a whole and using that knowledge to simply make a better game.

eh, i'll procrastinate later...

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Yes I spent a year and a half in Europe defending my favorite sport. Nobody bashes American football like the Brits and Aussies.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Its funny how all the games (well, all but one) are sequals. Thats just it, publishers just publish games that show likeness to those that have earned them a lot of money. They never look at new ideas, unless they're from developers that are already established.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
publishers just publish games that show likeness to those that have earned them a lot of money. They never look at new ideas, unless they're from developers that are already established.

If you're refering to my list of upcoming games that I am looking forward to, then you obviously know nothing about them or the companies involved in their release. Every game mentioned has a significant improvement in one area of its genre that would make it extremely exciting to both wait for and hopefully play. The reason the games are sequels is that the original storylines lended themselves to and were popular enough to support a sequel. The gameplay itself for each one is supposed to be radically changed for what everyone hopes to be the better. It goes to show you that game publishers are willing to take risks and for the most part are always pushing for new ideas in gaming.

As for your comment about how new ideas only come from established developers, well you're almost completely wrong here. Nearly every good game these days comes from a company that no one has heard about until the games release. Half Life being the biggest example, came from a no name company calling themselves Valve Software. Sure lots of established companies keep on generating great ideas, but don't leave out the great upstarts that become just as established.

eh, i'll procrastinate later...

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
No no not totally naked, must keep those neurons working. :)
Dress them in hot red lingerie.
Personnal i now have fallen for 7 of 9.

Danny

No Barbie Dolls under the tree this Xmass! :frown:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Jerri Ryan is ugly, I don't know what people see in her. Well, maybe ugly is too harsh. She's nothing special, though.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Don't know what to answer ?
Just cannot beleive someone not totally in awe about Jerri Ryan. Maybe it's just me. :redface:
Ok! You give me a name, Mister fussy ! No i did not say wussy ! hi hi

Danny

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Well like: Britney Spears, Madonna, Julia Roberts, Ben Laden Opps he was just desquised as a women hi hi

Danny

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"

FatBurger

Illustrious
Jessica Alba, for one.

Britney? Much worse than Jerri Ryan.
Madonna? She's with Gwen Stefani. Almost...but no.
Julia Roberts? She's just overdone. Nothing against her.
Bin Laden? Hehehe