Install Windows 8

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Welcome to my thread; a lot of people constantly ask about new Operating System's. How is it? What's it look like? My response is always "Just try it out, see if it meets and fits all of your needs." Which is what sparked this thread. One of the largest hassle's with testing an Operating System is partitioning your hard-drive; or formatting. This method will utilize a Virtual Environment. Which means, there isn't any loss to your System or it's data.

It uses a beautiful application called Virtual Box by Oracle.

VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

The application is also not only available for the Windows Platform.
Supported Operating Systems:
Windows
Linux
Macintosh
Solaris Hosts

You may find more specifics for compatibility on their web-site.

This tutorial will start by needing the following items downloaded:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

Once you've successfully downloaded both items, run the installation file for Oracle Virtual Box. Once that is completed create a Directory on your desktop called "Microsoft Windows 8." You may have to extract the .iso file if it is zipped into this directory.

Before we proceed you should have accomplished:
Valid installation of Virtual Box.
A directory on Desktop called "Microsoft Windows 8" which contains the bootable .iso format.

Open Virtual Box:
Step 1. Select New
Step 2. Select Next
Step 3. Name your Partition (Example: Win8)
Step 4. Select Operating System (Other)
Step 5. Version: (Unknown)
Step 6. Select Memory you'd like to allocate to your Virtual Machine (2048 mb recommended or higher).
Step 7. Select Next
Step 8. Create a Disk
Step 9. Select Startup
Step 10. Create New
Step 11. Select Next
Step 12. Select VDI (Virtual Box Disk Image). Note; we aren't creating or linking into any other virtualized environments.
Step 13. Select Next
Step 14. You can choose Dynamic or Fixed (I'd recommend Fix, Dynamic will constantly grow- but you can't get the space back once it's been taken).
Step 15. Select Name & Size
Step 16. Select Next and Create
Step 17. You've successfully created a bootable drive in Virtual Box.

Once that has completed you'll need to actually configure Virtual Box. You'll do this by selecting your new environment; then selecting settings. Once the settings page is open please follow the below steps:

Step 1. System Tab
Step 2. Motherboard Section
Step 3. Change your boot order. (hard-drive at bottom).
Step 4. Enable IO APIC
Step 5. Enable EFI
Step 6. Select Processor Tab
Step 7. Enable PAE/NX
Step 8. Select Acceleration Tab
Step 9. Make sure both are selected.
Step 10. Display Tab
Step 11. Make sure both 2D and 3D Acceleration is Enabled.
Step 12. I'd recommend around 256-512 mb graphics
Step 13. Select Storage Tab
Step 14. Select the Empty-Cd Rom
Step 15. Select the little CD-Rom to the right of it.
Step 15. Choose a Disk Image File
Step 16. Change File Type to Raw (.iso)
Step 17. Go to the "Microsoft Windows 8" Directory on your Desktop.
Step 18. Hit Okay
Step 19. Close your Settings.

You've now successfully configured the bootable environment. The CD-Rom should be recgonized to boot before your drive. The Cd-Rom should also automatically be linked to your Windows 8 Iso File you've downloaded.

Now to install Windows... Simply click start on your Virtual Machine. It should be booting and it should be loading your Windows 8 files. It's that simple.

You'll want to pay attention to the tips and hints; those will give you valuable key commands for navigating within your emulator. Windows 8 should detect your drive you've created for your VDI without any issues. Once you've formatted to Windows you'll want to leave a lot of motherboard settings alone; it can corrupt your Windows boot system.

If you need any assistance or would like to leave feedback please leave a response. I'd be more then happy to assist or take the feedback to hopefully create better post for the forum in the future.

Step 7 Enable PAE/NX is the important setting that had me stumped for a while when I installed Windows 8 in Virtual box when Windows 8 first came out. It is not necessary to set EFI. I am still unable to get the virtual machine addons to work even though they are supposed to work with the latest version of Virtual Box.

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Hello pjmelect,

Sorry I wrote the instructions very, very quick while on break from programming. What error are you receiving? I'd be more then happy to assist you; or create a view to post for you.