CLIE shattered glass: how common is this?

July 7, 2004 11:04:46 AM

I pulled my SONY CLIE PEG TJ-27 out of my backpack pocket the other
day -- to find the glass had shattered. I've been hunting around, but
I've yet to find a repair service that handles this model. I may try
calling SONY, but their customer service has a dreadful reputation.
Judging by SONY's support web site, the reputation is deserved.

I bought another TJ-27. I figured that I'd hit it somehow. Then I read
a post on Amazon by a very annoyed user. He'd had his CLIE's glass
shatter and was confident he hadn't whacked it.

Made me wonder again. I didn't think I'd traumatized mine either. I
had moved from a cold hotel room to a steamy hot outdoors and back
into a cold restaurant. I did wonder at the time if there was a
thermal stress component ...

Anyone else finding a TJ-27 or similar CLIEs with mysteriously
shattered glass? (I shattered a Vx years ago, but that one was
severely traumatized!)

john

PS. Any referrals for a repair service? I'd like to fix the old one
and keep it as a backup.

meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, glass, digitizer, broken, cracked,
shattered, repair, Palm, CLIE, cold stress, heat stress
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:29:05 PM

John Faughnan wrote:
> PS. Any referrals for a repair service? I'd like to fix the old one
> and keep it as a backup.

If you live in a relatively big city, Sony may actually have a
repair center in your city. In years past, I've gone to the
one in Dallas and bought parts for things. On the other hand,
I just tried my darndest to find information about local authorized
service centers on Sony's web site, and either it doesn't exist
or they're hiding it in some obscure corner.

- Logan
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:04:00 PM

jfaughnan@spamcop.net (John Faughnan) wrote in

http://www.pdaparts.com

--
Regards,

Stan
July 8, 2004 12:46:37 AM

Stan Gosnell <fakename@fakeaddress.com> wrote in message news:<Xns951F8EFA9A000stanghalpc@204.52.135.40>...
> jfaughnan@spamcop.net (John Faughnan) wrote in
>
> > PS. Any referrals for a repair service? I'd like to fix the old one
> > and keep it as a backup.
>
> http://www.pdaparts.com

Thanks! They provide service for: Screen repair service for the Sony
Clie SL10, SJ20, SJ22, SJ30, SJ33, T600C, T615C, T625C, T665C, T400,
T415, T425.

Alas, looks like no-one does the TJ-27. I've sent some emails out, but
no reply so far. I'll see what SONY says.

thanks,

john
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 12:52:39 AM

Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:
> If you live in a relatively big city, Sony may actually have a
> repair center in your city. In years past, I've gone to the
> one in Dallas and bought parts for things. On the other hand,
> I just tried my darndest to find information about local authorized
> service centers on Sony's web site, and either it doesn't exist
> or they're hiding it in some obscure corner.

I found their page for requesting repairs or locating a site. It
refused to recognize any of the "model numbers" I entered. I kept
thinking of various usability gurus. Jakob Nielsen could do an hours
talk on SONY's site -- not a happy hour!

I get the feeling SONY is in a bit of a tailspin. They're not the
company they were 10 years ago.

I did find an 800 number: 1-800-282-2848. I'll try phoning. I suspect
the nearest center may be in Chicago (I'm in Saint Paul, MN).

I still expect AMEX to reimburse me under my credit card 90 day
insurance program (for broken items), so a repair is a "nice to have"
-- even if it's allowed under the conditions of the insurance program.

Thanks!
john

meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, SONY, usability, web site, customer
service, repair
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 8:01:06 AM

Try www.gethightech.com they have lots of parts and DIY instructions. I
don't know for shure that they have parts for your unit but, they are the
1st place I always look for parts.

--
_____________
Thank a veteran

"George Fragos" <fragos@earthlink.net> wrote in news:o psasv3xpchmcrd6
@silverpda:

> Try www.gethightech.com they have lots of parts and DIY instructions. I
> don't know for shure that they have parts for your unit but, they are the
> 1st place I always look for parts.

Gethightech.com is just another name for pdaparts.com. If you enter
gethightech.com in your browser, you're taken to pdaparts.com. They
eventually get parts for newer machines, but it sometimes takes awhile for
parts to enter the mainstream. At first, all the parts available are being
used by the manufacturer for new units. Since Sony has stopped selling PDAs
in the US, parts should soon be available.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 8:23:56 PM

> I get the feeling SONY is in a bit of a tailspin. They're not the
> company they were 10 years ago.

Sony has given up on the PDA market, and no longer sells them in the US.
Another proprietary system bites the dust.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 10:45:34 PM

Stan Gosnell <fakename@fakeaddress.com> wrote in message news:<Xns952073B508C4Fstanghalpc@204.52.135.40>...
> "George Fragos" <fragos@earthlink.net> wrote in news:o psasv3xpchmcrd6
> @silverpda:
>
> > Try www.gethightech.com they have lots of parts and DIY instructions. I
> > don't know for shure that they have parts for your unit but, they are the
> > 1st place I always look for parts.
>
> Gethightech.com is just another name for pdaparts.com. If you enter
> gethightech.com in your browser, you're taken to pdaparts.com. They
> eventually get parts for newer machines, but it sometimes takes awhile for
> parts to enter the mainstream. At first, all the parts available are being
> used by the manufacturer for new units. Since Sony has stopped selling PDAs
> in the US, parts should soon be available.

Thanks for the tip Stan. I'd noted pdaparts didn't have the TJ line
screens, but now I know to check back in a while. I've yet to contact
SONY (too busy), but when I do I'll report here what they say.

john
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 11:27:31 PM

jfaughnan@spamcop.net (John Faughnan) wrote in message news:<5c0dbfb4.0407101745.6f74d16c@posting.google.com>...

> Thanks for the tip Stan. I'd noted pdaparts didn't have the TJ line
> screens, but now I know to check back in a while. I've yet to contact
> SONY (too busy), but when I do I'll report here what they say.

SONY charges $138 to repair a TJ-27 with shattered glass.
Unsurprisingly the support person mentioned few people do this, save
those desperate to recover lost data. I'll wait and see if pdaparts
starts to service the TJ-27.

SONY lived up to its (miserable) reputation for customer service. The
web site didn't recognize the TJ-27 model number, so I used the 800
line. I survived an 8 minute interview by SONY's voice recognition
application (it did recognize my voice, so long as I spoke clearly,
firmly, and slowly) -- only to be told it was a 34 minute! wait for a
support person.

I had nothing better to do while walking through the terminal, so I
hung on. Less than 6 minutes later a rather surly support person
answered.

I checked SONY's stock numbers, and they're chart is reasonably
stable. If I had the time, I'd place a bet on a falling share price!

SONY doesn't make PDAs any longer, so I need not promise to avoid
their CLIEs. I will, however, also be avoiding their other products --
esp. their esteemed digital cameras.

john
jfaughnan@spamcop.net
meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, service, LCD, broken, cracked, shattered,
SONY, CLIE PEG, TJ-27
!