ChicoMarx

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2002
XP was installed and working when we opened the case to redo the thermal grease for better cooling. Everything went back in and XP won't run. Here's the skinny...

1. System boots OK. I can press [Del] to get into the BIOS setup OK to change, save, etc.
2. After the normal BIOS messages, a black Windows screen appears with "Sorry for the inconvenience....", "Windows didn't start properly...", etc.
3. I can now choose between Safe Mode, Normal, etc.
4. I CAN'T because the keyboard doesn't work. XP can't see the kbd. I tried different keyboards (usb, ps2, etc.) / diffetent ports and get no response.
5. The screen times out and tries to start XP in normal mode.
6. After the splash screen, I get the infamous BSOD with a stop message, sometimes 0A, sometimes 8E.

I tried booting from the CD ("press any key to boot from the CD") but that doesn't work either because the system will not recognize the keyboard anywhere but in the BIOS setup. Bill's people won't talk unless I fork over $35. Any ideas?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I'm guessing you jarred something when you did the surgery. Start removing components to get down to bare minimum config (sound card, NIC, IDE cables, extra DIMMS, reseat Vid card, DIMMS, clear CMOS) and try to regain stability. Then rebuild checking stability at each step. Thats what I'd do anyway.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Aye... and if you still can't get the keyboard going, then it's either the port itself or the controller.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

ChicoMarx

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2002
Well, I've rebuilt the damn thing and it still won't boot. I've got keyboard control with a PS/2 kbd so I'm ok there. When I boot from the XP CD, it just sits there at "Starting Windows". I got it to boot to safe mode once and tried to reinstall. It got part way through and rebooted to another BSOD.

Enough already. How can I reformat the hd to start over? I can start the system with an Win98 floppy but I have no such tool for xp.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Are you overclocking? I had a similar problem, which then I upped the voltage a bit, each time I brought it up a level, I got a bit further into windows till it works fine.

Once I thought, then I <A HREF="http://www.warroom.com" target="_new">learned</A>