Slow network with windows 7 machine.

I upgraded to windows 7 ultimate a few weeks ago (clean install) and since then when I go to access files on my file server (running vista home premium) it takes forever to pull up thumbnails of photos I have stored or any other data for that on the drive. I never had this problem when my comp was running vista home premium as opposed to windows 7 I flashed the BIOS on my mobo to the latest version and I have all windows updates. Any ideas what I can do to speed things up when accessing this drive?
3 answers Last reply
More about slow network windows machine
  1. Hi JCB72,

I've got the same setup, but it seems to work fine on mine.

Have you set up shares on the server to include the re-installed machines username?

Are you using a homegroup or a workgroup? If workgroup, Is your PC in the same workgroup?

How are the machines conencted? Crossover? Ethernet via switch/router? Wireless?

Do you have IP filtering? What network setup do you have on the 7 and Vista machines?

Mike
  2. Give this command a shot. Run as admin

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

to turn back on

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

you have to restart for settings to take affect

It helped me go from 1MB/sec to 110MB/sec. Iperf network benchmark went from 9mbits to 941mbits

results may very.
  3. Tatt, I have all of my network settings configured the same as before along with the correct username and password. I can access all of my mapped drives on my server (vista machine), through the windows 7 machine but I am getting lag when viewing files on the drive. If you look at the network utilization in the task manager it will go from 0% to around 25% to 0% to 25%, etc..... It constantly spikes then drop to 0, back and forth back and forth.

As for the answers to your questions:
    1. Yes, shares on the server include the correct username/passwords
    2. Workgroup in the same workgroup
    3. Both machines have dual nics. Cat6 patch cable running from each comp to a router and a Cat6 crossover running between the 2 comps on the other nic.
    4. I have no IP filtering set-up....that I know of.
    5. On the the nics running to the router I have them set-up as DHCP. On the nics with a crossover cable running between the 2 I have them set-up as static. One (windows 7 machine) with 192.168.2.2 with 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask with default gateway, preferred DNS server and alternate DNS server left blank. Same settings for NIC 2 on the vista machine except for IP address of 192.168.2.1

Any thoughts?
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Clean Install Windows Vista