I upgraded to windows 7 ultimate a few weeks ago (clean install) and since then when I go to access files on my file server (running vista home premium) it takes forever to pull up thumbnails of photos I have stored or any other data for that on the drive. I never had this problem when my comp was running vista home premium as opposed to windows 7 I flashed the BIOS on my mobo to the latest version and I have all windows updates. Any ideas what I can do to speed things up when accessing this drive?
Tatt, I have all of my network settings configured the same as before along with the correct username and password. I can access all of my mapped drives on my server (vista machine), through the windows 7 machine but I am getting lag when viewing files on the drive. If you look at the network utilization in the task manager it will go from 0% to around 25% to 0% to 25%, etc..... It constantly spikes then drop to 0, back and forth back and forth.
As for the answers to your questions:
1. Yes, shares on the server include the correct username/passwords
2. Workgroup in the same workgroup
3. Both machines have dual nics. Cat6 patch cable running from each comp to a router and a Cat6 crossover running between the 2 comps on the other nic.
4. I have no IP filtering set-up....that I know of.
5. On the the nics running to the router I have them set-up as DHCP. On the nics with a crossover cable running between the 2 I have them set-up as static. One (windows 7 machine) with 192.168.2.2 with 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask with default gateway, preferred DNS server and alternate DNS server left blank. Same settings for NIC 2 on the vista machine except for IP address of 192.168.2.1