Earthworks QTC1's on Drum Overheads?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
May 13, 2005 10:56:54 PM

I have an opportunity to borrow a pair of Earthworks QTC1's for my next
session. I would like to use them as drum overheads on a Rock drum kit.
I have seen many references that the QTC1 is designed for quieter sound
sources. The stated specs say they will take 142dB max. To me, that
seems like enough SPL handling capability to work fine on a Rock Kit.
Anyone have first hand experience with these mics on a rock kit?

I also could get a pair of SRO's or possibly a pair of their new TC25's.
I only have had experience with a pair of TC30's on a kit, and loved it.
I would like to get back to what I've heard with the TC30's, but I won't
have a pair at my disposal.

I will also be borrowing the Earthworks 2 channel mic pre. I figure I
will use that in conjunction with the mics.

I would appreciate any input anyone has to offer on the choices I have
at hand. I would rather not spend a whole lot of time experimenting, as
time will be at a premium at this session.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 4:27:57 PM

I'm not familiar with Earthworks pre, but use the QTC's as my kit mics.
There is enough level on a hot kit, feeding directly into the A/D (no
pre at all) that in-line pads can be needed. If the pre can't dump ten
to fifteen db, in-lines' might be handy.
Wayne
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 5:02:19 PM

they should be fine
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

> From: EricK <eric@raw-tracks.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
> Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 18:56:54 -0500
> Subject: Earthworks QTC1's on Drum Overheads?
>
> I have an opportunity to borrow a pair of Earthworks QTC1's for my next
> session. I would like to use them as drum overheads on a Rock drum kit.
> I have seen many references that the QTC1 is designed for quieter sound
> sources. The stated specs say they will take 142dB max. To me, that
> seems like enough SPL handling capability to work fine on a Rock Kit.
> Anyone have first hand experience with these mics on a rock kit?
>
> I also could get a pair of SRO's or possibly a pair of their new TC25's.
> I only have had experience with a pair of TC30's on a kit, and loved it.
> I would like to get back to what I've heard with the TC30's, but I won't
> have a pair at my disposal.
>
> I will also be borrowing the Earthworks 2 channel mic pre. I figure I
> will use that in conjunction with the mics.
>
> I would appreciate any input anyone has to offer on the choices I have
> at hand. I would rather not spend a whole lot of time experimenting, as
> time will be at a premium at this session.
>
> --
> Eric
>
> Practice Your Mixing Skills
> www.Raw-Tracks.com
> www.Mad-Host.com
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 2:57:15 AM

Never used the QTC1s, but I did do a jazz session with the 40k's. Liked
it; the ride cut through without being harsh.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 4:44:03 AM

The pre is transparent, fast (for some reason, the Blackmers were into the
high slew rate thing) and accurate. Go for it.

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

!