Direct Draw Error

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Everytime i open up AOE it opens up a black screen then
closes and a error bok pops up and says " Could not
initialize Graphics , make sure you video card and driver
are compatible with direct draw" i need to know how i can
fix this problem

Thanx in advance , Paul
7 answers Last reply
More about direct draw error
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

    Hi Paul,

    To solve the error "Could Not Initialize Graphics System. Make Sure That Your Video Card and Driver Are Compatible with DirectDraw"
    go to: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=242902

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Paul" <hawkdude909@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1fa801c48d27$07b52710$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    | Everytime i open up AOE it opens up a black screen then
    | closes and a error bok pops up and says " Could not
    | initialize Graphics , make sure you video card and driver
    | are compatible with direct draw" i need to know how i can
    | fix this problem
    |
    | Thanx in advance , Paul
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

    Sir,
    go to -->" Display Properties"--> Settings--> advanced--> Trouble shoot -->
    slide "Hardware acceleration" to FULL--> enable "write combining" --> apply,
    OK

    now install Direct X Again, this will fix your problem, also try in start
    menu --> run command --> "dxdiag.exe" and perform direct x test for agp
    acceleration and direct draw.

    Regards

    Sony Payyappilly

    "Paul" wrote:

    > Everytime i open up AOE it opens up a black screen then
    > closes and a error bok pops up and says " Could not
    > initialize Graphics , make sure you video card and driver
    > are compatible with direct draw" i need to know how i can
    > fix this problem
    >
    > Thanx in advance , Paul

  3. system spec:
    ThinkPad T61 Vista Business SP1 :sweat:
    nVidia Quadro 140M :sarcastic:
    Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz with 2GB of DDR800 RAM :love:

    Game was working fine before I update something using Lenovo's System Update, or maybe it wasn't because of this I'm not so sure. :(
    couple months after when I want to play the game again, this error box appears and I tried to update the system to SP1 and even tried the methods mentioned, re-installing DirectX, test it, re-install graphics driver... Problem still unable to solve. :fou:
  4. Can we get awards for the most time elapsed between posts?
    4 years and 2 months is one of the most impressive resurrections I've seen.
  5. 5-2-1610

    I'm having trouble calibrating my telescope, it might be the lenses, can you guys help?
    Yours, Galileo

    12-11-2008
    YO, GAL, I'm having the same problem, did you ever get it figured out? Are you still watching this thread?
  6. rofl jay_l_a

    Saw one from 2002 a few days back, that beats the pants off this guy.
  7. I know i am very late with this, but what ever.
    Whenever you have the error "could not initialize dricet draw has nothing to do with direct X or a bad wininstal, "most of the time!" you have this error is because windows can't recognize a hardware and that is because your comp is missing an update.
    It's pure a win prob and nothing else, expressly for win7 users

    GL with it

Microsoft Video Games