Question about a speaker amp.

Last response: in Home Audio
a b C Monitor
May 14, 2005 5:09:05 PM

Hey guys,

I want to know what I should buy, or what the name of it is called.
I have my cd player connected to my mixer, and then have a line coming
out of the "monitor line" on the mixer. I don't know if that is what it
is called. But I can adjust the knob on the mixer labled monitor to
increase the volume. On the back of the mixer is left and right
outputs.

So I have the speaker cables connected to the left output then it goes
directly to the speaker. My question is that there isn't enough power
on that line to make the volume loud enough. What can I buy, that is
cheap, that can amplify that signal? Is there some kindof single signal
amps out there?

Please let me know. Or at least what the name of them are. I can't find
what I am looking for on the internet. I don't know the name of the
item I am looking for.

Thanks.

More about : question speaker amp

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 14, 2005 5:27:07 PM

jimover wrote ...
> I want to know what I should buy, or what the name of it is
> called. I have my cd player connected to my mixer, and then
> have a line coming out of the "monitor line" on the mixer. I
> don't know if that is what it is called. But I can adjust the knob
> on the mixer labled monitor to increase the volume. On the
> back of the mixer is left and right outputs.
>
> So I have the speaker cables connected to the left output then
> it goes directly to the speaker. My question is that there isn't
> enough power on that line to make the volume loud enough.
> What can I buy, that is cheap, that can amplify that signal? Is
> there some kindof single signal amps out there?
>
> Please let me know. Or at least what the name of them are.
> I can't find what I am looking for on the internet. I don't know
> the name of the item I am looking for.

Mixers generally have "line level" outputs which cannot drive
speakers directly. A power amplifier is required to "boost" the
line-level to "speaker-level"

There are some mixers that have built-in power amplifiers.
There are some speakers that have built-in power amplifiers.

It is impossible to answer you question without knowing
exactly what you are using. You may or may not have a mixer
that has a power amp. You may or may not have a speaker that
has a power amp. Please provide the exact name and model
number of your mixer, speakers, and description of your cables
(what kind of connectors, etc.)
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 14, 2005 5:57:51 PM

Richard Crowley wrote:
> jimover wrote ...
> > I want to know what I should buy, or what the name of it is
> > called. I have my cd player connected to my mixer, and then
> > have a line coming out of the "monitor line" on the mixer. I
> > don't know if that is what it is called. But I can adjust the knob
> > on the mixer labled monitor to increase the volume. On the
> > back of the mixer is left and right outputs.
> >
> > So I have the speaker cables connected to the left output then
> > it goes directly to the speaker. My question is that there isn't
> > enough power on that line to make the volume loud enough.
> > What can I buy, that is cheap, that can amplify that signal? Is
> > there some kindof single signal amps out there?
> >
> > Please let me know. Or at least what the name of them are.
> > I can't find what I am looking for on the internet. I don't know
> > the name of the item I am looking for.
>
> Mixers generally have "line level" outputs which cannot drive
> speakers directly. A power amplifier is required to "boost" the
> line-level to "speaker-level"
>
> There are some mixers that have built-in power amplifiers.
> There are some speakers that have built-in power amplifiers.
>
> It is impossible to answer you question without knowing
> exactly what you are using. You may or may not have a mixer
> that has a power amp. You may or may not have a speaker that
> has a power amp. Please provide the exact name and model
> number of your mixer, speakers, and description of your cables
> (what kind of connectors, etc.)

I am using an Inter-M MX-1242A mixer. I am using a plain speaker with
2 plugs in the back, one red, one black. You press the button, and put
the cable into it. It is just a regular old plain speaker. It don't
have a name on it.

I am plugging in one of the 1/4 plugs from the snake line that goes
into the mixer to the snake box. From that box, I plug that into the
speaker.
a b C Monitor
May 14, 2005 6:28:44 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> We call this a "power amplifier" or just an "amplifier." You can
probably
> get some Speco trash for under $100, or you can spend $25,000 for a
set of
> Mark Levinsons.
> --scott

Speco? Is that a brand name? I don' need anything spectacular.
Something under $100 would be great. I just need to amp the sound so
that it can be heard. It doesn't have to be crystal clear.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 14, 2005 8:55:04 PM

In article <1116101345.540893.256540@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
<jimover@gmail.com> wrote:
>outputs.
>
>So I have the speaker cables connected to the left output then it goes
>directly to the speaker. My question is that there isn't enough power
>on that line to make the volume loud enough. What can I buy, that is
>cheap, that can amplify that signal? Is there some kindof single signal
>amps out there?

If your speakers are unpowered passive speakers (like speakers used all
to be, and like most speakers are today), what you need is something to
bring the line level signal up to speaker level.

We call this a "power amplifier" or just an "amplifier." You can probably
get some Speco trash for under $100, or you can spend $25,000 for a set of
Mark Levinsons.
--scott

a b C Monitor
May 14, 2005 9:17:20 PM

jimover wrote ...
> I am using an Inter-M MX-1242A mixer.

Haven't found any online info about this unit. Assuming that
it is NOT a powered mixer and has only line-level outputs.
Do you have the user's manual or any info about it?

> I am using a plain speaker with 2 plugs in the back, one red,
> one black. You press the button, and put the cable into it. It is
> just a regular old plain speaker.

Yes it appears to be a conventional, "un-powered" speaker.
It does not have a power amp inside and does not have any
kind of power cord, etc.

Making the assumption about the undocumented mixer, you
need a power amplifier of some kind to drive the speaker(s).

Unfortunately, without any information about your speaker(s)
you don't know how much power you need (or how much
the speaker(s) will take before smoking.)

> I am plugging in one of the 1/4 plugs from the snake line
> that goes into the mixer to the snake box. From that box,
> I plug that into the speaker.

Does it make any sound? I would expect not.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 14, 2005 9:34:42 PM

jimover wrote ...
> I am using an Inter-M MX-1242A mixer.

Download the manual from here...
ftp://128.134.140.230/Download_Area/Operating_Manuals/M...

On Page 14 you can see that a power amplifier is required between
any of the outputs from your mixer and any speakers.

Acquiring and reading the manual almost always saves a lot of
time and helps avoid looking silly in public.

Now you have to figure out how much power you need. I would
borrow an amplifier and try it to get some idea of how sensitive
your speakers are and how much power you need for your
desired sound level in the chosen space.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 15, 2005 9:37:49 AM

jimover@gmail.com wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I want to know what I should buy, or what the name of it is called.
> I have my cd player connected to my mixer, and then have a line coming
> out of the "monitor line" on the mixer. I don't know if that is what it
> is called. But I can adjust the knob on the mixer labled monitor to
> increase the volume. On the back of the mixer is left and right
> outputs.
>
> So I have the speaker cables connected to the left output then it goes
> directly to the speaker. My question is that there isn't enough power
> on that line to make the volume loud enough. What can I buy, that is
> cheap, that can amplify that signal? Is there some kindof single signal
> amps out there?
>
> Please let me know. Or at least what the name of them are. I can't find
> what I am looking for on the internet. I don't know the name of the
> item I am looking for.

You connected your speakers directly to the mixer ? Who suggested that was
a good idea ?

Let me guess. You didn't read the manual did you ? Maybe you should ?

Oh boy !

Graham
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 15, 2005 9:41:45 AM

jimover@gmail.com wrote:

> I am using an Inter-M MX-1242A mixer. I am using a plain speaker with
> 2 plugs in the back, one red, one black. You press the button, and put
> the cable into it. It is just a regular old plain speaker. It don't
> have a name on it.
>
> I am plugging in one of the 1/4 plugs from the snake line that goes
> into the mixer to the snake box. From that box, I plug that into the
> speaker.

a) read the damn manual.

b) learn something about the basics of using equipment.

c) what made you think you could power a speaker off a *mixer* anyway ?

d) any old hi-fi amp will do the job you want - just don't use the 'phono'
inputs and come bleating here again !

Graham
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 15, 2005 10:15:57 AM

> jimover wrote ...
> > I am using an Inter-M MX-1242A mixer.
>
> Haven't found any online info about this unit. Assuming that
> it is NOT a powered mixer and has only line-level outputs.
> Do you have the user's manual or any info about it?

It's a powered mixer.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 15, 2005 10:15:58 AM

"Paul Stamler" wrote ...
>> jimover wrote ...
>> > I am using an Inter-M MX-1242A mixer.
> It's a powered mixer.

The manufacturer's PDF user's manual on their website says
that it is NOT a powered mixer. To wit...
ftp://128.134.140.230/Download_Area/Operating_Manuals/M...
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 15, 2005 10:20:50 AM

Whoops, sorry, it looks like it *isn't* a powered mixer. I was fooled by the
spec for "Output impedances/levels", which reads:

4/8 ohm, 25/70V

Sure sounds like it's powered, but the rest of the description says it
ain't. O confusion.

Peace,
Paul
!