floppy drive moratorium

Rude_Dog

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
It often goes unnoticed anymore (probably from lack of use), but what is the need for the floppy drive anymore? While all other aspects of cosumer based PCs have advanced, we are still tethered to a technology that can only hold up to 1.44 MB at a time. Most email attachments are larger than that now. I just recently built a new machine and not once during OS installation and configuration did i have to use the archaic device. So why in the world does it still exist?? Why is the floppy drive such an afterthought that even big OEMs don't even offer something new? If there needs to be a device like a floppy for a PC to run, then i suggest a move to internal media card slots. What does anyone else think?

Rude_Dog

No time for the old in-out, love. I've just come to read the meter.

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
LOL I use my floppy all the time. Usually when I need to transfer stuff. I once transfered a 120 mb game with 2 disks...

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
they are still usefull for many things. they are much more practicle for things like batch files. i use them a lot at work, sometimes getting to a network recourse is too much work so i just load the batch file off a floppy, it is much faster than a cd. it takes time to open a cd rom, so its just faster to run some things from floppy. with bios flashes, they are not very big so a floppy is still sufficient. and its a LOT easyer to access a floppy drive from a simple bios boot to load an image to the bios chip. a cd rom requires drivers to be able to use it, thats just too much for a simple boot to flash a bios.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

Rude_Dog

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
I really don't buy any of that, jihiggs. By using media cards to replace the floppy drive, you would still be able to run all your batch and script files. Plus, the media card would work faster than a floppy drive would. All kinds of devices use media cards so i would think that a BIOS would be able to do the same without too much hassle. So, to me, there is still no need for floppy drives or their archaic media.

Rude_Dog

No time for the old in-out, love. I've just come to read the meter.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
the things is not everyone is used to media cards, everyone is used to floppys, floppys are great for all ages of computer and useful to carry homework around for me. You still need floppys to make start up boot disk in Norton Ghost, flashing BIOS, MEMTEST, HDD diagnose, drivers and not everyone new motherboard out there supports media cards/mini HDD boot method. besides take SD card for example hmm $100 for a 128mb SD for boot up file or 10 floppy that costs $5 that does the same thing

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% Nvidia Fanboy
Athlon 64......nForce 3, it sure sucks when you can't afford things. One day Operton Servers will cost less than $4000 so everyone can get one

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A lot of old machines can't read CDRW. Let alone write to it. I use my floppy to transfer small files when I don't feel like wasting off a 25 cent CD-R.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
a unerversal connection for those media cards is some kind of usb or even firewire connection. it takes time for them to be detected by windows and 99% of all bios' dont support either connection type nativly. i dont see a standard digital card reader on every computer.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

svol

Champion
Well my floppies became usefull again this day while flashing a BIOS, and installing newer NIC drivers on multiple PCs.

And as Crashman said floppies are really usefull in old systems... or systems where the CDROM doesn't work without a NIC.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
the people i hate are so dumb it would probably work!!!!!!!

ha ha ha

oh and most of them have virus ridden computers coz they don't know what VIRUS SOFTWARE and FIREWALLS are for.

Alltaken

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
mostly firmware flashes, bios flashes, and proggies like memtest, goldmem and hard drive diagnostic utilites.

apart from that it sits idle.

<b>Melb_angel: PooBaa's <A HREF="http://www.secretarythemovie.com" target="_new">Secretary!</A></b>