clicks from the speaker

aweicc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
I am using onboard sound card that comes with mobo(asus p4c800 deluxe)
when the volumes are high, not totally loud just above average, i get these clicks and cracks from my speakers (altec lansing) I always thought the problem are my speakers but after reading a few threads here, ppl are saying its the sound card.. so if I get a better sound card, these clicks and cracks will dispear?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by aweicc on 06/10/03 12:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

aweicc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
The problem is not severe, when I am listening to cds or playing game, a few click or crack will slip in to the music, its just annoying thats all.

any input on this will be much appreciated :)

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
its probably not a problem with both. You probably have the preamp volume too high and you are getting clipping. Turn down the volume from the comp, then turn it up on the speakers to get your desired volume

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

aweicc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
ah..i will try that, thanx for the advice :)

one more question. on volume control, if I turn up "wave" it also make the sound louder. so whats the difference between I turn up the "wave" and turn up the "volume"

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Well, as Jimmy beat me to the answer to your first question, I'll beat him to your second. Oh yeah, and your sound card is clip-clip-clipping. Turn down the volume.

There is no difference. The reason the wav volume is there is so you can adjust its volume independent of the MIDI, mic, line in, and so forth. Go with whatever volume sounds good.

[edit]

just in case you care, I'll define clipping for you. Imagine a sound wave as being a sine wave; that is, an increasing and decreasing line in a smooth motion. Think of an oscillloscope - that measures sound waves and turns them into sine waves.

Amplifiers work by increasing the height of the peaks and troughs. Now imagine that the amplifier isn't powerful enough to move your driver (aka: speaker) the full motion of the sine wave? The tops of the peaks and troughs get "clipped". That's why you get some of the sound but it's so insanely distorted its just noise.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--