SP2 and The Conquerors

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

A strange problem has come up with Age of Empires II ever
since I upgraded to XP Service Pack 2. When the game
starts, numerous (but not all) objects are missing,
including button text, drop-down menu text, and all
terrain.

For the record, my system is free of malware. I've tried
reinstalling the game, upgrading my video driver, running
dxdiag, and troubleshooting hardware acceleration.

System Specifications:
Windows XP Home Edition SP2
Intel Pentium III 863MHz (256KB L2 Cache)
512MB PC133 SDRAM
37.25GB 7200RPM Western Digital Hard Drive (FAT32)
Lite-On LTR-52327S CD-RW Drive (Master) 52x32x52
NEC DV-5700A DVD/CD-ROM Drive (Slave) 12x40
ATI RADEON 7200 32MB PCI Display Adapter
Creative Audio PCI Sound Card
Realtek RTL8029 PCI Ethernet Adapter
17" Mitsubishi DiamondPoint NXM76LCD Monitor (Analog)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

When uninstalling check your installation folder and remove it completely.
Also check your temp folder (c:\documents and settings\owner\local
settings\temp) for unnecessary files. Remove ai.log from root. Restart and
re-install.
Little tip on the side: disable your Ethernet adapter if you don't use it.
The annoying icon will disappear. Done via network connections and right
click.