Can today's laptop support vista with DX 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giper54

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I plan on buying a HP laptop once the dual turion X2 comes out in may. Right now their video cards are the 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM). This could all change by the time the new lap tops come out, but if they still have this video card, will I have trouble running full Windows Vista with all of the bells and whistles?

From what I have read, I don't think the ATI 200 integrated video should have "Vista" problems. I have read several places that the integrated video is already compatible with "Vista", but I haven't read that it is "Fully" able to run it, so I'm not 100% sure. I would bet $ that the X2 related laptop will be compatible. I hope this helps you out?

techiemonkey

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
The graphics card will not be DX10 compatible so will not run the AERO Glass feature of Windows Vista so you will be stuck with vista looking like windows xp rather than the "fluffy" new interface

bobit

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2005
The graphics card will not be DX10 compatible so will not run the AERO Glass feature of Windows Vista so you will be stuck with vista looking like windows xp rather than the "fluffy" new interface

Correct me if I’m wrong: doesn’t vista beta work on current video cards? I know it does, so the aero desktop supports Dx9 as well.

bobit

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2005
I’m not a fanatic gamer, but I have tried on my laptop (1.66GHz dual core, 1GB RAM, nVidia Go 7400) a few racing games like CMR 2005 (medium quality settings). It played ok, so I recommend getting something like a dual core or 2+GHz processor and 1 GB of memory.

ronin_cse

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006

ummm, well I'm sure you're right about the graphics card not supporting DX10, aero glass does not need a DX10 compatiable card, it just needs a fairly good card.[/quote]

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I read an article in PC Magazine where only 10% of all the computers out there are going to be able to run Windows Vista Aero... cut that number dramatically for the 64 bit version.

KillerNotebooks ELIMINATOR with x1600 256 MB will run the DX10 and Aero 32&64 bit no problem.

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
The video cards now will be able to run DX10 stuff, but not with it's new features. There are no DX10 cards out yet, so if you want full DX10 support you will need to wait for Nvidia and ATI to release them, which I would assume will be around the launch of Vista itself.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
VISTA needs DX9. Here is the link to Microsoft's Vista Requirements site

Windows Vista Capable and Premium Ready footnotes
Windows Aero requires:
DirectX 9 class graphics processor that:
Supports a WDDM Driver.
Supports Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware.
Supports 32 bits per pixel.
Adequate graphics memory.
64 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels
128 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels
256 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels
Meets graphics memory bandwidth requirements, as assessed by Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor running on Windows XP
A DVD-ROM may be external (not integral, not built into the system)..

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Well these companies make it so complicated with their big talk before product launch, then the delays hit (along with reality), the product gets downgraded to actually work and you have an entirely different beast.

So it is easy to get confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS