Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

cards with digital inputs

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 7:09:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I'm looking to set up a small home studio. As my penchant lies in
electronic music I'm not envisaging, to begin with at least, recording
any instruments. However I will be utilising soft and hardware synths,
the former of which may be running on a different computer to my
sequencer so that I don't max out the CPU.

I'm trying to find out the best way of connecting these components,
particularly the computer to computer link.

Thinking about it what I'd ideally like is the no cost option of
connecting the computers and hardware synths via a generic interface
such as USB, Firewire, or even Ethernet. After much searching,
however, I cannot find any drivers that would emulate audio ports for a
direct computer-computer audio connection over USB or Firewire:( .

Next best thing would be a soundcard with multiple digital
inputs/outputs through which I could connect everything. However,
again after much searching, there seems to be a paucity of hardware
that offers multiple digital I/O unless you're prepared to spend a
small fortune. I'm reluctant to resign myself to connect the computers
via analogue audio as it seems extremely inelegant and unnecessary to
convert the signal twice simply to bus it from one PC to the other.
Clearly I'll need an analogue stereo out to play the final mix but
other that that I'll have no need for analogue I/O and don't want to
spend cash on card with 10+ analogue channels just to obtain 2 S/PDIF
inputs - are there soundcards out there suitable for my needs?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

More about : cards digital inputs

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 10:39:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<mats_trash@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1116194975.423586.71260@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I'm looking to set up a small home studio. As my penchant lies in
> electronic music I'm not envisaging, to begin with at least, recording
> any instruments. However I will be utilising soft and hardware synths,
> the former of which may be running on a different computer to my
> sequencer so that I don't max out the CPU.
>
> I'm trying to find out the best way of connecting these components,
> particularly the computer to computer link.
>
> Thinking about it what I'd ideally like is the no cost option of
> connecting the computers and hardware synths via a generic interface
> such as USB, Firewire, or even Ethernet. After much searching,
> however, I cannot find any drivers that would emulate audio ports for a
> direct computer-computer audio connection over USB or Firewire:( .
>
> Next best thing would be a soundcard with multiple digital
> inputs/outputs through which I could connect everything. However,
> again after much searching, there seems to be a paucity of hardware
> that offers multiple digital I/O unless you're prepared to spend a
> small fortune. I'm reluctant to resign myself to connect the computers
> via analogue audio as it seems extremely inelegant and unnecessary to
> convert the signal twice simply to bus it from one PC to the other.
> Clearly I'll need an analogue stereo out to play the final mix but
> other that that I'll have no need for analogue I/O and don't want to
> spend cash on card with 10+ analogue channels just to obtain 2 S/PDIF
> inputs - are there soundcards out there suitable for my needs?
>
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated


hhmmm, this question seems similar to the thread titled "PC to PC audio
transfer" that started on April 1st.

What's your budget for this? One person's 'small fortune' is another
person's pocket change.

Do you have an external mixer with enough inputs? If so, just record MIDI
data via cheap MIDI interfaces and then combine all the analog together
externally during mix down.

Or you can pick up a used MOTU 2408 interface ( or similar ) for very good
prices. 8 channels analog I/O plus 24 channels ADAT/TDIF I/O plus 2
channels SPDIF for around $100 to $300.


Best of luck.

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 2:54:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in
news:118fuhrllepo1bc@corp.supernews.com:

> Or you can pick up a used MOTU 2408 interface ( or similar ) for very
> good prices. 8 channels analog I/O plus 24 channels ADAT/TDIF I/O
> plus 2 channels SPDIF for around $100 to $300.

Eh? Tell me where from & I'll buy 2. Prepal even lists the mk1 as $450
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 4:32:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Forty Winks" <Yawn@bedtime.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9658790F2CF35Yawnbedtime@212.159.2.87...
> "John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in
> news:118fuhrllepo1bc@corp.supernews.com:
>
>> Or you can pick up a used MOTU 2408 interface ( or similar ) for very
>> good prices. 8 channels analog I/O plus 24 channels ADAT/TDIF I/O
>> plus 2 channels SPDIF for around $100 to $300.
>
> Eh? Tell me where from & I'll buy 2. Prepal even lists the mk1 as $450

Well, it just so happens that I just listed my MOTU 2408 MkI core system on
Ebay with a Buy-It-Now price of $250 ( with free ground shipping to the
lower 48 if you use buy-it-now ).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7323...

And there is another one on Ebay by someone else for $275.

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com
!