Error Reporting on Windows XP, when launching.

clayton

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi,

I have Age of Empires 2 (the age of kings) and i have
tried launching the game with the 2.0a patch, and without
it, i have tried installing it to different folders and
drives, i have a reasonably new computer and i am running
Windows XP Professional, 512 ram etc.

Anyway, i get this error at every instance of my running
AOE 2, the age of kings, straight after the splash screan:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/1337poster/Error/AO
E2/AOE-2-Error-Sat-25-09-04.jpg

It requests that i send an error report. It then doesn't
launch and just quits.

Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi Clayton,

"Clayton" <clayton_222012@noemail.spam.com.org> wrote in message news:296901c4a2ca$08ae4a30$a401280a@phx.gbl...
| Hi,
|
| I have Age of Empires 2 (the age of kings) and i have
| tried launching the game with the 2.0a patch, and without
| it, i have tried installing it to different folders and
| drives, i have a reasonably new computer and i am running
| Windows XP Professional, 512 ram etc.
|
| Anyway, i get this error at every instance of my running
| AOE 2, the age of kings, straight after the splash screan:
|
| http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/1337poster/Error/AO
| E2/AOE-2-Error-Sat-25-09-04.jpg
|
| It requests that i send an error report. It then doesn't
| launch and just quits.
|
| Thanks.

Before beginning, make sure your not starting the game in compatibility mode.

Let's try some basic troubleshooting. If the problem still persists
please post back and we'll try some more steps. Good luck! :)

1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to find any
Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your system.

3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
/ Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Some games
require a patch: http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

5. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
Checklist of Solutions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

clayton

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

I followed those step previously, as you gave that advise
on other topic, but the problem still has not stopped.

I did check that it wasn't in compatability mode, and it
wasn't.

Clayton.

Shell / User
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

>Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=FH;[LN];gms
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
>MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=sz;en-us;top
>My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
confer any rights.

>.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi Clayton,

If this just recently happened recently, try a system restore:

How to use Windows XP System Restore:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/systemrestore.asp

--

"Clayton" <clauyon32r@23nolksld.com> wrote in message news:133c01c4a35c$cc629cf0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
| I followed those step previously, as you gave that advise
| on other topic, but the problem still has not stopped.
|
| I did check that it wasn't in compatability mode, and it
| wasn't.
|
| Clayton.

| >|
| >| I have Age of Empires 2 (the age of kings) and i have
| >| tried launching the game with the 2.0a patch, and
| without
| >| it, i have tried installing it to different folders and
| >| drives, i have a reasonably new computer and i am
| running
| >| Windows XP Professional, 512 ram etc.
| >|
| >| Anyway, i get this error at every instance of my
| running
| >| AOE 2, the age of kings, straight after the splash
| screan:
| >|
| >|
| http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/1337poster/Error/AO
| >| E2/AOE-2-Error-Sat-25-09-04.jpg
| >|
| >| It requests that i send an error report. It then
| doesn't
| >| launch and just quits.
| >|
| >| Thanks.
| >
| >Before beginning, make sure your not starting the game
| in compatibility mode.
| >
| >Let's try some basic troubleshooting. If the problem
| still persists
| >please post back and we'll try some more steps. Good
| luck! :)
| >
| >1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily
| disable Startup
| >programs one at a time, starting with Firewall,
| Antivirus, and ad
| >blockers using:
| http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php
| >
| >You can lookup what a program does before you disable it
| here:
| >http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
| >
| >2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com
| Afterwards
| >Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to
| find any
| >Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your
| system.
| >
| >3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose
| Properties
| >/ Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab
| and run
| >the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.
| >
| >4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under
| Critical and
| >Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Some
| games
| >require a patch:
| http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a
| >
| >5. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video
| Drivers:
| >For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I
| have a
| >Checklist of Solutions at:
| http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html
| >
| >--
| >Cheers, Windows XP MVP
| Shell / User
| >Jimmy S.
| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| >Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
| scid=FH;[LN];gms
| >Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
| http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| >MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
| scid=sz;en-us;top
| >My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
| confer any rights.
| >_________________________________________________________
| >

| >.

clayton

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Jimmy,

No, it has been happening ever since i have had this
install of Windows XP.

AOK seems to be incompatible with Windows XP Professional
for me. I don't doubt that installing Windows ME or even
XP again, would probably fix it, but i am not willing to
go to all that trouble just to play AOK.

Clayton.

Shell / User
>Jimmy S.
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

>Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=FH;[LN];gms
>Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
>Contact
>MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=sz;en-us;top
>My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
confer any rights.

>"Clayton" <clauyon32r@23nolksld.com> wrote in message
>| I followed those step previously, as you gave that
advise
>| on other topic, but the problem still has not stopped.
>|
>| I did check that it wasn't in compatability mode, and
it
>| wasn't.
>|
>| Clayton.

Which other games are working on your system?

--

"Clayton" <wslksd@nosidn.ds.com> wrote in message news:297201c4a540$bb477950$a501280a@phx.gbl...
| Jimmy,
|
| No, it has been happening ever since i have had this
| install of Windows XP.
|
| AOK seems to be incompatible with Windows XP Professional
| for me. I don't doubt that installing Windows ME or even
| XP again, would probably fix it, but i am not willing to
| go to all that trouble just to play AOK.
|
| Clayton.

| >|
| >| Clayton.
| >|
| >|

| >| >|
| have
| >| without
| and
| >| running
| >| >|
| >| running
| >| screan:
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >|
| http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/1337poster/Error/AO
| >| >|
| >| doesn't
| >| >|

| >| in compatibility mode.

| >| still persists
| >| luck! :)

| >| disable Startup
| >| Antivirus, and ad
| >| http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

| it
| >| here:

| http://housecall.antivirus.com
| >| Afterwards
| >| find any
| >| system.

| >| Properties
| Tab
| >| and run

| >| Critical and
| >| games
| >| http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

| >| Drivers:
| >| have a
| >| http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html

| >| Shell / User
| >| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

| >| scid=FH;[LN];gms
| >| http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
| >| scid=sz;en-us;top
| do I
| >| confer any rights.
| >|
| >_________________________________________________________

| >.

clayton

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Jimmy,

All of them work, whether microsoft built or not, quake
III Arena, Warcraft etc, all work. Just not Age of Kings.

Clayton.

Shell / User

http://security.kolla.de
your

Choose
the "Tools"
>| Tab
utilities.

under
Some

Issues, I

MVP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
>| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
>| do I
>| >|

>| >.
>| >

>.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Hi Clayton,

That's strange.. so strange in fact, maybe using compatibility mode
*will be good* in your situation. Right click the game exe file and
in it's Properties / Compatibility Tab choose Windows 98. GL! :)

--

"Clayton" <clayton@no.com.nz> wrote in message news:40d001c4a5e7$02d8fd60$a301280a@phx.gbl...
| Jimmy,
|
| All of them work, whether microsoft built or not, quake
| III Arena, Warcraft etc, all work. Just not Age of Kings.
|
| Clayton.

| >|
| >| No, it has been happening ever since i have had this
| >| install of Windows XP.
| >|
| >| AOK seems to be incompatible with Windows XP
| Professional
| >| for me. I don't doubt that installing Windows ME or
| even
| >| XP again, would probably fix it, but i am not willing
| >| go to all that trouble just to play AOK.
| >|
| >| Clayton.
| >|
| >|
| >|

| >|
| >_________________________________________________________

| >| advise
| stopped.
| >| >|
| and
| >| it
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|

| >| >| >|
| >| have
| folders
| >| and
| >| >| >|
| splash
| >| >| >|
| >| >| >|
| >| >|
| >|
| http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/1337poster/Error/AO
| >| >| >|
| >| >| >|

| game

| problem
| Good

| disable
| >| it

| >| http://housecall.antivirus.com
| http://security.kolla.de
| your

| Choose
| the "Tools"
| >| Tab
| utilities.

| under
| Some

| Issues, I

| MVP

| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
| >| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
| >| do I
| >| >|
| >|

| >.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

I had a look at the site and it might be an interference from your temp
files. Solution: go to your temp folder (C:\documents and settings\owner(or
your own name)\local settings\temp) and delete the folders starting with
WER. You will have to change your view settings as 'local settings' is a
hidden folder.