Sign in with
Your question
Solved

C compilers

Last response: in Windows 8
March 7, 2013 12:57:58 AM

Hey! Is there any c compiler program that supports windows 8? I need it for my college course and ever since upgrading to windows 8, I can't use my old dev c++ compiler, its keeps crashing. I don't want to use the Microsoft visual ones because my uni uses Linux which apparently I think it won't be compatible with the gcc compile in the Linux environment.

More about : compilers

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
March 7, 2013 1:09:28 AM

pete123edgar said:
Hey! Is there any c compiler program that supports windows 8? I need it for my college course and ever since upgrading to windows 8, I can't use my old dev c++ compiler, its keeps crashing. I don't want to use the Microsoft visual ones because my uni uses Linux which apparently I think it won't be compatible with the gcc compile in the Linux environment.

If you're compiling for POSIX environments you should use a POSIX environment to do your work. Get a copy of Virtualbox or VMWare Player and spin up a Linux environment to do your work in.

Alteratively, use Cygwin or bite the bullet and use Visual Studio
March 7, 2013 1:13:51 AM

When I took a C course, my class was told to use CodeBlocks or JGrasp. I used Visual Studio. See if your college has access to Mircosoft DreamSpark, you can download Visual Studio for free.
Related resources
March 7, 2013 2:03:42 AM

Pinhedd said:
If you're compiling for POSIX environments you should use a POSIX environment to do your work. Get a copy of Virtualbox or VMWare Player and spin up a Linux environment to do your work in.

Alteratively, use Cygwin or bite the bullet and use Visual Studio

Yes! VMWare, I completely forget that, jeez thank you!
March 7, 2013 2:03:48 AM

Best answer selected by pete123edgar.
!