when will the speed of DVD burners increase?

vyder

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
hey guys..just curious,

does anyone know when they plan to increase the speed of dvd burners? i am asking this because i am interested in buying a DVD burner right now. However, i dont want to buy one now and then the next day they have 8x Burners..u get my drift!@

mister_e

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
I don't know when exactly they will increase in write speed, but I'm willing to bet it will be about one month after you buy the fastest one you can find. Such is the way of technology. Seriously though, I'm more worried about the competing formats DVD+R and DVD-R....now that is just plain irritating. Currently, to the best of my knowledge, there is only one DVD burner that supports both formats and it is made by Sony I believe.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Question : How long does it takes to barn a DVD-R on a 8x DVD-BURNER?

I know that for CDROM you have to divide the X speed by the time of the CD... So 24X CD-BURNER will burn a 70 Minutes CD in about 3 minutes. But what's the relation with DVD-BURNER?

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

vyder

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
i know that sony wasnt the only one.... i am just kinda scared about investing in dvd burner if 8xis around the corner!@

are there any dvd 8x burners?

how long does it take a 4x burner toburn a 4.7 GB dvd?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
are there any dvd 8x burners?

how long does it take a 4x burner toburn a 4.7 GB dvd?
8X DVD burners won't be out until fall. It should take just over 15 min to burn a complete DVD-R on a 4X burner. 8X would be half that time.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

vyder

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
where did u get the info on the 8x DVD burner? i would love to read up on that.

15 mins to burner 4.7 gig? u must be kidding me. it takes me 10 mins on 8x cd burner (700 MB). that sounds fast..

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They have information that LiteOn will be releasing an 8X multiformat DVD burner sometime during the forth quarter this year. Dont worry about it. Buy a 4x burner now and upgrade for Christmas. Sell your old drive on ebay. CloneDVD is out btw for anyone interested. Current reviews by folks using it are that they are not impressed and it wasnt worth the wait.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!

sturm

Splendid
Read in pcworld magazine that in Japan they have a "blu-ray" burner that will fit 23 gig on a dvd, for $3800. When will they get to the US I dont know. I see that being the next evolution in burners. Im sure its a long ways off from being widely used, but who knows.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yup, just read the press release about LiteON releasing an 8X DVD burner in fourth quarter. 8X CD is not the same as 8X DVD. 8X DVD is a little over 8X faster than 8X CD. :wink:

I have a 4X LiteOn (Sony) DVD±R(W) myself...

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just HAD to mention that the speed of a lot of drives, optical included, will increase with the use of Serial ATA.
My thought.
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
8X refers to play speed for the given device.

For a CD/CD Writer 8X would be 8 times play speed which is roughly 150 KB/sec (0.15 MB/sec). 8x would be about 1.2 MB/sec.

The play speed is of a DVD is approximately 4.7 GB/hr or 1.3 MB/sec so 8X for a DVD-ROM/DVD writer is 8 times 1.3 or 10.4 MB/sec.

Big difference.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>