Sign in with
Your question

Can I activate windows 7 on a different pc than I installed it on?

Last response: in Windows 7
July 6, 2012 2:55:30 PM

right,
I am making a new build but I realise that the optical disk drive has a different power connector which isn't going to arrive until monday. I have an old pc which has a odd but it's pata, It also has sata ports.
the question is can I use that pc to install windows 7 64 bit on ssd then transfer the ssd to a new computer an activate it on that. will that interfere with the licencing.
Also the old computer has a celeron d proccessor , is that 64 bit compatible?
a b $ Windows 7
July 6, 2012 3:07:16 PM

Sometimes it will work, sometimes it will not. It is less likely to work if you have an add-in RAID controller and it is imperative that you install the OS in the same storage mode on both the source and destination machine (AHCI preferably).

Some Celeron D processors support Intel 64 bit extensions but many do not
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 6, 2012 3:18:19 PM

Do you have a usb memory stick? You can use it to install windows.
July 6, 2012 3:19:43 PM

i suggest either an adapter to plug the dvd into the new machine. or use a usb flash stick and install from there
a c 232 $ Windows 7
July 6, 2012 3:22:20 PM

IF you install on the older machine, don't activate the config. Do it later. You have 30 days to activate your install. By then, you should have the new system in place.

If the older rig does not support AHCI mode, I would recommend you wait before proceeding.
July 6, 2012 4:30:25 PM

ok thanks, i'll have to wait then, how do you chose best answer?
a b $ Windows 7
July 6, 2012 4:52:24 PM

electrolaser said:
ok thanks, i'll have to wait then, how do you chose best answer?

It's not possible to choose a best answer in a discussion thread
July 6, 2012 4:55:17 PM

I highly recommend waiting for your new hardware. Swapping the boot drive between PC's is going to be problematic at best and you will probably need to re-install the OS anyway. Just my 2 cents.
a b $ Windows 7
July 6, 2012 4:59:16 PM

Wait, and install windows on your new SSD. You will find that the SSD is so much faster compared to installs on a hard drive.
!