Can I activate windows 7 on a different pc than I installed it on?

electrolaser

Honorable
May 5, 2012
right,
I am making a new build but I realise that the optical disk drive has a different power connector which isn't going to arrive until monday. I have an old pc which has a odd but it's pata, It also has sata ports.
the question is can I use that pc to install windows 7 64 bit on ssd then transfer the ssd to a new computer an activate it on that. will that interfere with the licencing.
Also the old computer has a celeron d proccessor , is that 64 bit compatible?

Sometimes it will work, sometimes it will not. It is less likely to work if you have an add-in RAID controller and it is imperative that you install the OS in the same storage mode on both the source and destination machine (AHCI preferably).

Some Celeron D processors support Intel 64 bit extensions but many do not

COLGeek

Cybernaut
IF you install on the older machine, don't activate the config. Do it later. You have 30 days to activate your install. By then, you should have the new system in place.

If the older rig does not support AHCI mode, I would recommend you wait before proceeding.

Preecher

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I highly recommend waiting for your new hardware. Swapping the boot drive between PC's is going to be problematic at best and you will probably need to re-install the OS anyway. Just my 2 cents.