Shuttle PC – Annoying Revving Normal?

Plague1392

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I bought a Shuttle PC for my mum, who just wants a computer to type letters and access the internet. Unfortunately the fan in it keeps revving – the fan speed increases in bursts of two and then settles down every few seconds. I can’t imagine these short bursts of increased revs would cool the PC particularly well, so it doesn’t seem right.

I’ve did a recording of it for about 10 seconds and you can hear how it revs in bursts of 2 every few seconds. The noise really is very irritating. Check it out here (280KB):

http://www.rjcraig.plus.com/ShttlePC.mp3

It does this almost continuously after it's been on for a while. I’ve heard a lot of bad stuff about Shuttle PCs but I never expected this. Does anyone who has experience of Shuttle PCs know if this is normal or if this one is just faulty?

Thanks for your help.

svol

Champion
Well we have about 32 Shuttle barebones at my school but I never heard such a noise. So it must be either model specific or a fault.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it should not be doing this, might be a fulty/funny fan, open & replace it with a silent operation one of same size...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

TRENDING THREADS