Sign in with
Your question

Laptop heat

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
April 27, 2006 10:34:07 AM

A friend as an Alienware Sentia 12" laptop. The problem lies in that the laptop shuts off randomly it seems. I checked the laptop an it runs HOT when I say HOT I mean temperatures reach a max of 92 degrees celcius. The problem is that it reaches those temperatures even with little load.

I am wondering if the temperature build up can come from the HDD since it's a 7200rpm. And i wonder if switching to a 5400rpm will make a big difference in the temperature department. Also I'd like to look at the bios to see if there's a automatic shutdown safety but can't manage to get into it. What is the stupid key you have to press for Alienwares. I tried all the "F" keys.

Thanks for any help.

More about : laptop heat

April 28, 2006 7:03:04 PM

Take some compressed air and blow the dust from the system, you may want to do this outside. Blow from all directions. Also make sure you fan hasn't failed. Some times they can pop loose, and bind up.

I had the same problem with my LT. I removed the heatpipe from the cpu and re-apply the thermal Paste. Mine had the cheap-o white 30 yr old tech paste. Installing with Artic Ag5 fixed the problem. Mine is a different brand than yours.
May 2, 2006 8:33:54 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'll see what i can do. Don't think it's a fan problem since it works (I can tell by the sound)
!