AOK disk error when installing

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

I have a DELL dimension 2400 desktop with windows XP. I
am trying to install a game (Age of Empires II: Age of
Kings), after i go through the main setup it starts to
install and gets to about 20-30 percent complete and an
error screen comes up and says "age of empires II
encountered a disk error while writing to the file
c:\programfiles\microsoftgames\ageofempiresII\data\graphics
..drs. make sure hard disk is not full, and that the file
is not in use." A friend told me to try to install the
game in safe mode, I tried but the same problem occured.
If there is any advice you can give me please let me know.
Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about disk error installing
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

    Hi Dustin,

    "Dustin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13c901c4ae8a$10ebdf70$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    >I have a DELL dimension 2400 desktop with windows XP. I
    > am trying to install a game (Age of Empires II: Age of
    > Kings), after i go through the main setup it starts to
    > install and gets to about 20-30 percent complete and an
    > error screen comes up and says "age of empires II
    > encountered a disk error while writing to the file
    > c:\programfiles\microsoftgames\ageofempiresII\data\graphics
    > .drs. make sure hard disk is not full, and that the file
    > is not in use." A friend told me to try to install the
    > game in safe mode, I tried but the same problem occured.
    > If there is any advice you can give me please let me know.
    > Thanks

    That type of error could mean the CD is corrupt... Check the CD
    and the CD Player. Clean both using a Cleaning Kit, and check for
    scratches on the CD. Try installing the game on another computer,
    if the game installs, the culprit is probably your CD ROM drive if it
    doesn't install then it's the CD, in which case you need to replace it.

    Before replacing the CD, try copying it to your hard drive and then
    run the setup / installation program from there. To copy the CD go
    to My Computer, Right-Click the CD, Choose "Copy", then Right-
    Click on your Hard Drive, Choose "Paste".

    Uninstall the game using Add-Remove programs before attempting
    to reinstall it. (Start / Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs).

    Here are three basic troubleshooting steps which I recommend:

    1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
    programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
    blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

    You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

    2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
    Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to find any
    Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your system.

    3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
    / Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
    the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

    If nothing including those 3 steps have resolved the problem so far,
    here's more basic troubleshooting steps and information including:
    The Safedisc patch
    How to check CD for imperfections, and
    How to Disable Virtual CD ROM drives which is described at:
    http://tinyurl.com/2387c (EA General Support Page) and also:

    How to Troubleshoot Disc-Reading Issues
    Error Messages That May Be Caused by Disc-Reading Issues
    Troubleshoot Error Messages
    Examine the Disc
    Clean the Disc
    Test the Disc in a Different Drive
    Clean the Drive
    Test Disc Read with Copy or Xcopy
    Quit Unnecessary Software
    Switch the Drive Controller to DMA Mode, and
    How to Troubleshoot DVD Error Messages is available in this
    MS Article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=321641

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Disk Error Video Games