Win 7 Genuine Version error message - spurious

6rtury

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I've been running Win7 Ultimate x64 on a new I7 Quad core system for just 1 month. Bought the system from a legitimate OEM with whom I've dealt for more than 9 years. Win 7 activated with no problems the day I rec'd the system. This morning, for the first time, I rec'd the message that my Win 7 version may not be genuine, and asking if I want to activate or pursue the issue. Thinking the message may be a result of spyware (even though the system is well protected) I bypassed the message, and my desktop finally loaded without event. I then checked the control panel, which showed that I had a genuine activated copy of Win 7. Have all the current OS updates.

What's going on here? Obviously this message is spurious. Will it be a problem, and what caused it?

Thanks for any help.

Solution
Engadget reports that this adds a new background process to your computer, Big Brother now has control of your computer, I even copied the URL and out it in a special folder that I have for this kind of stuff, but I disabled the updates so I don't need to worry about it, just waiting for my friends to bring their system with the bugs that updates and hotfixes give them, I have often thought that Windows, in all versions must have some sort of spy program in it for the gov't to keep tabs on us, how else would you explain the violation of a ton of laws without the gov't coming down on them, the EU hit them, but not nearly hard enough, they just slapped their wrists, they stole XML, and lord knows what else, and all they get is a slap on...

6rtury

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

To all who suggested it was a spyware: my system is routinely scanned for viruses, trojans, spyware, malware, and adware using ESET. After that message I did a manual scan that turned up nothing.

I did get an answer, however, by an article in the Windows 7 Secrets newsletter ( http://windowssecrets.com/ ) to which I subscribe. An article two issues ago recommended not accepting or uninstalling an update based on KB971003, because it is a marketing ploy on the part of MS aimed at non-corporate users. Essentially, this update scans for "unauthorized" copies of Win7 and inactivates any copies that have not been activated. On general principles, I uninstalled the update, which I had downloaded on Feb 24 with 3 other updates. Even though I examine each update before installing, the explanation of this particular one was very ambiguous. I also hid it from any future updates.

The damage was done, however (something in the Registry was obviously set), because even though the update was rolled back, 5 days later I received a message, at boot, saying that my copy of Win7 was not genuine. When my desktop loaded there was a permanent message in the lower right hand corner of the desktop to that effect. Another check, however, of the control panel showed I was running a genuine activated version of Win7. I then rebooted and received a screen advising me to "re-activate". At this point I caved, and said "OK". In a few seconds it returned with the message that I had successfully re-activated and that my copy was genuine. Painless, to be sure; but, it really steams me that after paying top dollar for Win7 Ultimate x64 I can't get MS' claws out of my back. There was no reason for requiring me to re-activate (no major HW changes, roll-backs etc). Any wonder that MS is not everyone's cup of tea?

6rtury

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Have a P.S. to my "solution" response. I accepted an innocuous Windows update this morning for Windows Defender. Through the update screen (when it completed) I was able to view my MS Update History -- not the same as looking at Installed updates via the Control Panel. Lo and behold I found an update, KB971033, which cannot be uninstalled. It doesn't show in the Uninstall Programs screen. A search at the MS sites show that it is identical to kb971003, and came down the same day.

Anyone have an idea of how to uninstall this update?

6rtury

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

I have, and am an avid user of, Revo Pro. Unfortunately, Revo can't see this Genuine Activation Update either. The only place I've seen it listed is through the Download Updates screen that appears when MS has something else to send -- and even then it only showed after the download completed and I looked at the Download History.

I know that in XP the downloaded system updates were kept in the i386 subdirectory. Any idea of where Win7 stores them? I've done a search in the Windows directory for KB971033 and came up empty handed.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I was wondering if the boys from Redmond would do something like this, (bad publicity- this update is minig and recording what you are doing on your computer) they can't make a good safe OS so I figured they would screw something up, looks like they'll make every one check in and revalidate their copy of 7, maybe every month or so, I HATE MSFT

6rtury

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Hey #13 -- maybe I should have my firewall block outgoing connections to MS. It may work, but I would have to let it through to check for updates, at which point the Genuine Advantage scanner could kick in and call home. And, there are times I want to connect to MS to read KB articles. I also noticed one other update MS wanted to install that sounded innocuous but whose writeup said that it could not be uninstalled.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Engadget reports that this adds a new background process to your computer, Big Brother now has control of your computer, I even copied the URL and out it in a special folder that I have for this kind of stuff, but I disabled the updates so I don't need to worry about it, just waiting for my friends to bring their system with the bugs that updates and hotfixes give them, I have often thought that Windows, in all versions must have some sort of spy program in it for the gov't to keep tabs on us, how else would you explain the violation of a ton of laws without the gov't coming down on them, the EU hit them, but not nearly hard enough, they just slapped their wrists, they stole XML, and lord knows what else, and all they get is a slap on the wrists, have you ever heard of jail time for any of these people, it would give them renewed view of intellectual property rights, kind of like the RIAA for software

Solution

6rtury

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Number13:

Do you know the name of this process, so I can disable this?

thanks,

6rtury