Sign in with
Your question

hard drive install problems

Last response: in Storage
June 11, 2003 9:11:14 PM

i got a used computer from a friend, said it worked fine about 3 weeks ago but didnt use it for the past 3 weeks.

i am trying to install this hard drive without formatting it into this new computer (which has everything already in it except the harddrive)
the HDD has windows xp pro, but the OS isn't booting.
the computer my friend sold me is a HP.... im wondering if that has anything to do with it... if anyone can help me please let me know and i'll share extra info if needed.

any responses appreciated. thanks in advance
June 12, 2003 4:40:51 AM

Hehe, you're REALLY trying to put a loaded drive with XP into a different system? REALLY? OMG, could it be?

HAHAHAHAHA MS fux0r3d j00 with no l00b d00d!

OK, you can't do that. Really. MS decided that a major source of "stolen" software was where people were copying complete loaded drives. So to stop you from doing that, they made XP not boot if too much hardware got changed!

There is an easy solution of course! Do an "overinstall" of XP. This requires you to have the CD and the license key on hand. You simply tell it to install the new copy of windows to the same location as the old.

This actually does work (most of the time) and most of your loaded programs will still work. All of your saved files should still be there too!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
!