Help with AoK and windows XP

Dustin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Age of Empires II Expansion has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
are sorry for the inconvenience.

AppName: age2_x1.exe
AppVer: 0.7.22.627
ModName: age2_x1.exe
ModVer: 0.7.22.627
Offset: 0000d772

I installed and uninstalled them and its worked before so dunno why its not
now but i installed AoK and AoC exp. and neither will work.. when i try to
start them right after clicking play or the icon that error msg comes up i
sent in a error report to microsoft but any idea how i can fix it?
couldnt copy technical information but will type it if need be..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Sorry for asking a silly question, but is conquerors a demo version? I am
asking because of the version (0.7.22.627), normally a retail version starts
at least with 1.
One way to check if the programs have left some stuff behind after
uninstall, check whether the installation directory still exists. You can
safely delete this.
there is a file in your root directory called ai.log, this is created by AOK
and can be deleted as well.
Next step is to check your temp directory for files created by AOK. The path
looks something like this (instead of owner it might have your login name).
You have to change view options to 'show hidden files and folders':
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp
Last not least check for valid registry entries with Easy Cleaner, a
download is available at this site:
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
Restart your computer after all this and install AOK and the expansion
again. I recommend to restart your computer every time you have installed
one part. You might want to look for patches at www.heavengames.com for
upgrades.
Regarding SP2: I have ordered the CD free of charge from Microsoft (not
received yet), the link to the site is available when you run windowsupdate
through your short cut on the start menu. When it recommends to download SP2
you will see a tiny link to the order site.
Good luck