Unable to join multiplayer on LAN WITHOUT FIREWALL

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

Please, Please help me.
I have 2 PCs running Win98, Netgear 4 port hub. Both Pcs
have Ipx with all of the Netbui setting enabled, and TCP/IP
as well. Can play War Craft with no prob. either player can
host. My problem is with AOE/RoR. I can play single player
on either PC. Both can launch a multiplayer and the other
can SEE the game. When I attempt to join it gives error
"Unable to Join"

Please, please help.
Regards,
M.
5 answers Last reply
More about unable join multiplayer firewall
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

    Hi,

    When LAN games don't connect, there are a few variables to consider, for
    example check for a patch at: www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

    1. Disconnect from the Internet by physically unplugging the cable or DSL
    line, and then since there's no longer danger of outside attacks, turn off
    your software firewall (Norton's, McAfee, Zone Alarm, Outpost, ICF,
    etc.) as these firewalls could be blocking data to and from your system.

    2. If you use a router, it could be blocking you as well:
    Routers have built-in port blocking firewalls based on NAT technology.
    DirectX games require that ports be open in order for the data packets
    to be able to travel from one system to another. Here's How to Configure
    a router for Multiplayer: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#howto

    3. If Step 1 applies to you, but you want an alternative solution, pick up a cross-
    over cable from your local supply shop to directly connect one computer to
    the other on a 2 player LAN, especially if both computers are close together.

    4. If you have multiple network adapters, the game might be using the wrong one
    To verify this behavior, click Start / Control Panel / System / Hardware Tab
    / Device Manager, click the + next to Network Adapters, right click the adapter
    which accesses the Internet, and "Disable" it from the right-click menu. If that
    works, open Control Panel / Network Connections, click Advanced / Advance
    Settings / click the LAN Connection and then the UP arrow to change it's priority
    so it's at the top of the list. Test your Internet games to see if they work this way.

    5. DirectX 9.0b may need to be installed on both systems:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/9/c/c9c8a1d4-7690-4c98-baf3-0c67e7f3751f/dx90update_redist.exe

    6. Universal PnP might need to be disabled in your router, or in Windows XP:
    a) To enable or disable UPnP in XP, click Start / Run / type: services.msc
    and you can then right-click Universal Plug and Play on the list to Start it.
    b) Consult your router manual for the UPnP instructions for your model.

    7. Network Adapter drivers may need to be updated on one or all machines.

    8. You may need to specify the target IP using a game specific method.
    Consult your game manual or readme file in the game directory. For MS
    games: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;gmsnetw

    9. You might be specifying the Public IP instead of the Private (LAN) IP.
    To easily find the Public and Private IP numbers of the computer you
    are using, visit: http://www.u.arizona.edu/~trw/games/nat_or_not.php

    For more in depth troubleshooting, try this MS Network Troubleshooting article:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/russel/02april08.asp

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Aaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:556101c4c6ad$06612c50$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    > Please, Please help me.
    > I have 2 PCs running Win98, Netgear 4 port hub. Both Pcs
    > have Ipx with all of the Netbui setting enabled, and TCP/IP
    > as well. Can play War Craft with no prob. either player can
    > host. My problem is with AOE/RoR. I can play single player
    > on either PC. Both can launch a multiplayer and the other
    > can SEE the game. When I attempt to join it gives error
    > "Unable to Join"
    >
    > Please, please help.
    > Regards,
    > M.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

    Hey Jimmy,
    Thanks for the response. I reviewed all of your input and
    I have either already done this or it doesn't apply to this
    setup as the PC's aren't connected to the internet and
    don't have any AV software installed.
    I'm at my wits end on this one. I've installed the latest
    patch for AoE. The Hub doesn't have a firewall, I
    reinstalled DirectX, and there is only one network card on
    each pc. I have tried all of the different connection
    options in the game regarding using IPX - Tcp/ip - Direct
    Cable - Arrrrgggggggg.
    I remember having this problem a year or so ago when we
    were playing before. I have since formated one of the PC's.
    I remember there was one specific thing I had to do but I
    can't remember.
    Thanks again for your input.

    Shell / User
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
    confer any rights.

    >"Aaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggg"
    >> Please, Please help me.
    >> I have 2 PCs running Win98, Netgear 4 port hub. Both Pcs
    >> have Ipx with all of the Netbui setting enabled, and TCP/IP
    >> as well. Can play War Craft with no prob. either player can
    >> host. My problem is with AOE/RoR. I can play single player
    >> on either PC. Both can launch a multiplayer and the other
    >> can SEE the game. When I attempt to join it gives error
    >> "Unable to Join"
    >>
    >> Please, please help.
    >> Regards,
    >> M.
    >

    >.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

    ?????????????????????
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

    I was hoping to see some other input in this thread too.
    Perhaps if you post a new thread others will notice it. :-)

    Cheers,
    Jimmy.

    "Aaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5ff201c4c834$b5293dd0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.ageofkings (More info?)

    This is really annoying. I can get lan on my XP but it
    doesn't show up on the ME!!! can anyone help me???

Multiplayer Games Video Games