Sign in with
Your question

Instal win 7 without onboard videocard

Last response: in Windows 7
July 6, 2012 10:24:53 PM

i've assembled my new pc with Motherboard Asus m5a78l le without onboard videocard and AT RADEON 6870.
How can i install Windows 7 and the drivers of my video card if the videocard doesn't send the signal to the monitor?
Can i install windows 7 and the drivers on the hard disk with another pc?
Thankyou very much please reply!
July 6, 2012 11:13:25 PM

If I've understood your question correctly, the answer is that Windows will use generic drivers (inferior, usually won't let you use native resolution) until you install the actual graphics drivers.
m
l
July 6, 2012 11:26:48 PM

it's a new pc i'll must install a new copy of windows. have no driver or windows install on Hard disk now
m
l
Related resources
July 6, 2012 11:45:14 PM

I know this from experience when building a computer for my friend, she had a "MSI twin frozr II 6870".
Windows 7 will be able to display threw any GPU, on board or not. The only thing that usually happen is that the resolution will be low and the performance of the card slow. Which is fine when installing Windows 7, but once it is done you just download the drivers from the Nvidia website and your are good to go.
m
l
July 7, 2012 8:18:14 AM

ok i'll see now that hdd have installed a old version of win 7 and if i'll put dvd of windows i don't see nothing... i'll must format hdd for see signal to videocard?
the motherboard is new, is possible that it hasn't auto boot from cd?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 7, 2012 1:35:39 PM

Hi

When you say you cant see anything on screen with a old hard disk containing Windows 7 (from a different PC)

Do you mean absolutely nothing from BIOS and nothing from Windows loader appears on screen when you switch on

If so you have a hardware problem or may be you have connected your screen to the motherboard video outlet instead of ATI Graphics Card outlet (VGA/DVI/HDMI etc)

If you see BIOS messages and boot loader but after Windows starts the screen blanks this is a Windows problem
Try starting in safe mode.F8 (Then try to uninstall Graphics driver)

regards
Mike Barnes

m
l
July 7, 2012 6:18:36 PM

Putting a HDD in a new computer that has Win 7 already installed on it from another computer will cause problems as the drivers and chipset information is different, especially if the motherboard is different. You always want to completely format windows if you want to move a HDD to a different computer that isn't completely identical in hardware.
Also as stated above make sure you monitor is plugged into the graphics card and not the motherboard
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
July 7, 2012 7:09:28 PM

Could it be that the BIOS is set for the onboard GPU (by default) and the monitor is plugged into the graphics card with the resulting lack of output?
Try the monitor plugged into the onboard GPU...
m
l
July 8, 2012 10:03:45 PM

dodger46 said:
Could it be that the BIOS is set for the onboard GPU (by default) and the monitor is plugged into the graphics card with the resulting lack of output?
Try the monitor plugged into the onboard GPU...

The BIOS wouldn't select onboard GPU if it never had one in the first place.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
July 9, 2012 5:50:46 AM

Pepto said:
The BIOS wouldn't select onboard GPU if it never had one in the first place.

Absolutely right! And if I'd looked at the Mobo specs instead of reading mbarnes' post I woul have spotted that...
m
l
July 9, 2012 12:41:36 PM

dodger46 said:
Absolutely right! And if I'd looked at the Mobo specs instead of reading mbarnes' post I woul have spotted that...

Yeah , I had to google the motherboard to see what it actually was.
m
l
July 19, 2012 3:58:50 PM

thank a lot to all. now pc work... i have only reassembled pc for the third time... and now videocard work without any drivers (in 800x600 think). With windows installed and all driver now all work perfectly! thanks again and sorry for my bad english!
m
l
!