DanAshmoreUK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
hey ppl
If i bought a SPDIF lead and ran it into my reciever's coxial input would i be able to hear creatives 6.1 EAX advance HD using my 6.1 speakers??? i have tried an optical lead but all i get is the 2.1 and when i change creatives settings tab to 96khz i only get 2.0 channels?
also will i be able to set my creative mixer to 6.1 output so i can pan around my recievers 6.1 speakers in lets say for example... in acid pro 4???

My amplifier/reciever is:
SONY STRDB1080 6.1 (it decodes DD ex and DTS ES/96/24)

thx

<b>---Ashmore---</b>
<font color=blue><i>It's always funny until someone gets hurt.........and then it's just hillarious!</i></font color=blue>

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
It depends what kind of motherboard or sound you have. If it has coaxial then it should work, but Im wondering why it doesnt work with the optical. It looks like you have a real nice reciever so I think the reason your not getting 5.1 is becuase of comp settings

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

DanAshmoreUK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
ok the pc that i want to was bought about 2 weeks ago, its a very high end pc so ill provide the compos...

P4 3Ghz (800fsb)
Abit IC7 motherboard
512MB RAM
120GB HDD
LG DVD ROM
LG Re-Writer
Sapphire radeon 9800 pro
Sound blaster audigy 2 platinum ex
Crappy packard bell crt monitor :(

So there u go, im not gonna be in a good mood if i find out i cant get 6.1//5.1 using coxial! which would then try and force me to get creatives 6.1 speakers and cost me another 100 quid besides having 14 speakers in my room lol i cant have that

<b>---Ashmore---</b>
<font color=blue><i>It's always funny until someone gets hurt.........and then it's just hillarious!</i></font color=blue>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
(assuming you're running XP):

Start - control panel - classic view - sound and audio devices - speakers settings - advanced - speaker setup - select whatever the snot you want.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

DanAshmoreUK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
hey m8
the optical still decodes 2.1 at 48khz and 2.0 at 96khz???
any1 else use a SPDIF or have any suggestions...
please help!
thx

<b>---Ashmore---</b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Found this on the Abit newsgroup.

<font color=green>Message 15 in thread
Subject: Re: IC7-G optical output will only put out stereo

View this article only
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Date: 2003-06-12 17:12:52 PST

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 06:31:47 -0700, "Jim Boyer" <jboyer@surewest.net>
wrote:

>Hello everyone my optical out will only put out stereo however when I hook
>up to analog I can get 5.1 I have some logitech z680 speakers and I have
>tested my optical connection on the XBOX and DVD player. So I know the
>speakers have no issues. I also have tried all the newest drivers and bios
>files to no avail. Even the realtek beta drivers dont correct the issue. Has
>anyone tried the optical hookup yet. I am about ready to return my MB.
>
>Basic Specs
>P4 2.8CGHz
>1 gb of memory
>Geforce 4 4600
>
>

Yes, it works perfectly. V3.44 driver. I use the SPDIF output
exclusively.

Tested using PowerDVD XP 4.0 Update Patch 2417

Set the PowerDVD XP Audio Output to "Use SPDIF"
(only accessible when in Stop mode )

Set the Realtek AC97 SPDIF-Out to either Output Digital only
or Output Digital and Analog.

Out pops a Dolby Digital 5.1 stream on the IC7 SPDIF output
when Digital 5.1 is selected in on the option screen of the DVD.

And so does DTS when dts is selected from the Option screen
of the DVD.

I have a combo Dolby 5.1/DTS/Surround-sound decoder, with
appropriate type-indicators for the incoming stream. Besides
listening to the obvious differences.

Confirmed 5 minutes ago.

I cannot verify anything about the IC7 back-panel SPDIF in to
SPDIF out. Don't have a spare optical cable handy at the moment.
However, while running the DVD, I looped back the SPDIF
output back to the input and the SPDIF-IN screen of the
Realtek Manager confirmed "LOCK" and a 48kHz AC-3 style
signal.

However, your thread-question was about SPDIF-Out on
the IC7/7-G not SPDIF-In.

Next question ?

John Lewis</font color=green>

However, that's for DVD playback. I don't know if your mobo has a 5.1 encoder, that is the ability to take WAV type sound files and encode them into AC3 output. Unless your mobo has a 5.1 encoder you won't get 5.1 sound for games via the digital connections.

nForce2 mobos (the ones with 5.1 sound in the first place) can do this.

I don't know if Canterwood mobos can.

Audigy2 soundcards can. <b>[<- oops! not true! Sorry]</b> There must be other sound cards that can as well.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 06/17/03 02:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Only the Soundstorm audio on some nForce2 mainboards can output everything and anything through the S/PDIF output. Why? Because the nForce/2 APU has the ability to ENCODE any audio source in real time to a Dolby Digital stream that's recognizable by all multi-channel receivers out there. No other sound card or onboard solution at the moment can ENCODE all sorts of sounds to a DD 5.1 format. As such, with ALL sound cards out there (including the Audigy2), using the digital output, you're limited to stereo output. You can get multi-channel in DVDs or other sources with 'pre-encoded' Dolby Digital or DTS content (in the case of Audigy2 up to DD 6.1 EX) over digital output. Remember DVDs already come with their soundtrack encoded as a DD stream. The card just needs to pass through this straight to the digital output. Games right now don't have pre-encoded DD soundtracks, effects, etc., so unless your audio chip can encode them into a DD stream you can't output their sound at full 5.1/6.1 glory into receivers. You should stick to analog for that (or use both analog and digital connections and switch between them whenever needed on your receiver). I know it's a hassle with all the cables but that's the only way with everything but a Soundstorm nForce2 mainboard.

And AFAIK this is not related to Creative or other makers skipping something. A receiver having S/PDIF input(s) can only accept pure stereo (2.1 too?) or DD and DTS streams. Nothing in between. nForce mainboards bypass this by encoding everything into a specially encoded DD stream (that's recognizable by the receiver as any other DD stream e.g. on a DVD). And finally, this is a lossy (although very high quality) encoding process and may not be exactly suitable for very high-end audio sources. For games, it's more than enough though!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by r2k on 06/17/03 10:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

DanAshmoreUK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Games right now don't have pre-encoded DD soundtracks, effects, etc., so unless your audio chip can encode them into a DD stream you can't output their sound at full 5.1/6.1 glory into receivers. You should stick to analog for that
Hey im starting to get the idea now! cheers mate, so if i used the analog inputs (the ones where i would normal plug in my PC speakers into) which are 3 right? what leads would i need to buy, because there are front right/left on <b>number 1</b> rear right/left on <b>number 2</b> and <b>number 3</b> is the centre/surround and subwoofer??? or can i not use the <i>digital out</i> or <i>SPDIF out</i>?
Oh yeah my motherboards sound is disabled but that shouldnt matter right...
thx again

<b>---Ashmore---</b>

DanAshmoreUK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
anyone please...

<b>---Ashmore---</b>

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Buy three mini-plug to RCA interconnects. One end is like a headphone plug that goes into your sound card's ports and the other two are normal RCA connectors that connect to left and right channels of one of your receiver's inputs. And they sell these EVERYWHERE, just tell the salesman what you want to do and they'll give it to you.

DanAshmoreUK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
sorry to bring this post back up to the top again, but look what i found!
<A HREF="http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=44,E=0000000000003366767,K=3005,Sxi=19,Case=obj(14588)" target="_new">http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=44,E=0000000000003366767,K=3005,Sxi=19,Case=obj(14588)</A>
Hopefully this will help everyone else with the same problem now...
oh yeah which make would you go for, the reason why im asking this is because its THX certified and i dont wanna buy no crummy leads
cheers once again

<b>---Ashmore---</b>