Toronto Trebas institute - opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm 20 years old and just about to drop out of the University of
Toronto after two unpleasant years here. I am considering applying to
the Recorded Music Production program at the Trebas Institute here in
Toronto. I would like to know if anyone here has ever been involved
with this program at Trebas (or any of their other programs), and if
so, what was your experience like. More importantly, how hard was it to
find work in the field afterwards? If you could do it over again, would
you? At this point in my life I am deadly serious about getting into
the music business, but is going to Trebas the right way to do it?
Would I be better off just staying at U-of-T and getting that English
degree?

Thanks folks!

Humber College has a course in AE-ing I believe...I'd go there first and
then follow the instructions in my PM

Don

"A. R." <extremereactionforce@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm 20 years old and just about to drop out of the University of
> Toronto after two unpleasant years here. I am considering applying to
> the Recorded Music Production program at the Trebas Institute here in
> Toronto. I would like to know if anyone here has ever been involved
> with this program at Trebas (or any of their other programs), and if
> so, what was your experience like. More importantly, how hard was it to
> find work in the field afterwards? If you could do it over again, would
> you? At this point in my life I am deadly serious about getting into
> the music business, but is going to Trebas the right way to do it?
> Would I be better off just staying at U-of-T and getting that English
> degree?
>
> Thanks folks!

Have you considered staying at the University of Toronto and
transfering over to the music department? It would be a shame to let 2
years towards a bachelor's degree go to waste, even if you might need
to do a little back-tracking to change majors. IMHO, a little music
theory/ear training/composition never hurt anyone. From what I can
gather, there are several folks working in the field of electroacoustic
music at the University of Toronto. Speaking from my experiences at
UCSD and now Dartmouth, there is much to be learned from the academic
electroacoustic composer folks. At the very least, I've racked up many
hours of production experience.

On a completely different note, a half-completed degree will never look
great on a resume. It's worth taking a look at what the music dept.
has to offer before dropping out...

Travis Garrison

Not bad from what I've heard, which isn't a heck of a lot

Don

A. R. wrote:
> I'm 20 years old and just about to drop out of the University of
> Toronto after two unpleasant years here. I am considering applying to
> the Recorded Music Production program at the Trebas Institute here in
> Toronto. I would like to know if anyone here has ever been involved
> with this program at Trebas (or any of their other programs), and if
> so, what was your experience like. More importantly, how hard was it
> find work in the field afterwards? If you could do it over again,
would
> you? At this point in my life I am deadly serious about getting into
> the music business, but is going to Trebas the right way to do it?
> Would I be better off just staying at U-of-T and getting that English
> degree?
>
> Thanks folks!

Trebas and Harris are not acredited institutes. There is some placement
of grads, but stats aren't what these schools claim.

Sheridan College have been upgrading their facilities over the last few
years. Sony put a major TV studio in there, there are a lot of
broadcast training programs at Sheridan, that use industry standard
equipment.

Ryerson is undergoing some major upgrades to their facilities, but I'm
not shure if they'll have the stuff in place by the time you want to
go.

Sheridan might even offer the same course as Fanshawe ( Music Industry
Arts - 2 Year Program ) The Fanshawe course has been running for a
long time and is respected in the industry.

What end of Music do you want to be in? If You are looking at the
business end of things Harris, or Trebas might have something to offer.
If you are looking to the tech side of things.. Learn Electronics,
Learn at a real acredited school.

In article <1116387539.346355.258540@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Matrixmusic <kevindoylemusic@rogers.com> wrote:
>ANy feedback on Fanshwe

I got a copy of Musical Mariner, and the original music wasn't bad but I
got the feeling that the stuff had got a lot of overdubbing and processing
after the original field tracks were cut.
--scott

eliee

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
any idea about which intensive programe(around a year) is best to learn how to produce low budget movies,pre and post production incluisng editing,cinematography for some one mature who is new in the field?

Sheridan College

http://www.sheridancollege.ca/Programs%20and%20Courses/Full-Time%20Programs/Programs%20A-Z%20Index/Advanced%20Television%20and%20Film.aspx?utm_nooverride=1&gclid=CM2ozPmLi60CFYvDKgodnx5hkw

or george brown or

http://coned.georgebrown.ca/owa_prod/cewskcrss.P_Certificate?area_code=PA0008&stream_code=PS0099&cert_code=CE0096