Stereo Output to 5.1 speakers

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
My friend has the Creative SB Live! DE 5.1 sound card coupled with the Creative 5200 5.1 speaker set. TO get the 5 channel output he has to use Power DVD or Direct DVD.

He wants to listen to mp3 in 5 channel. Winamp doesnt support 5 channel (or, is there a plugin that he shud get?). Direct DVD 5 gives 5 channel output but doesnt play mp3. PowerDVD plays mp3 but doesnt have an Equilizer.

So he wants good 5 channel output and an equilizer to listen to mp3. any suggestions?

If sometimes you feel little, useless, offended or depressed or get that loser feeling, always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm out of hundreds of millions...
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheMask on 06/19/03 03:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
MP3's are only stereo to my knowledge. That said I can get 7.1 (yeah 7.1) sound playing MP3's in Winamp using nForce APU. It's not truely 7.1 but nvidia's sound driver can mimic or add sound to the other channels.

Unfortunately I don't think this helps you cause your using Soundblaster. I would get the latest driver and see if you can't find a way to do it with Creative's software like you can with nVidia's.

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Stain you lie. You are not getting 7.1 sound, you are getting stereo and your reciever is splitting and mixing the left and right and supplying it to other channels. And the soundstorm apu can not "mimic" or add sound to the other channels, it will only encode in 5.1 if the app supports it. Your reciever, if you have a 7.1 reciever, is adding sound to the other channels by it self.

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
<b>JimmyDean:</b> Stain you lie. You are not getting 7.1 sound
<b>Stain:</b> It's not truely 7.1
Obviously you can't have 7.1 sound when MP3s are only stereo. For that matter nVidia's APU can only do 5.1. What I ment was all 7.1 speakers output sound in Winamp.

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
exactly. my friend wants to hear from all the 5 speakers. hows cud it be done with a SB Live! DE 5.1 card? anyone else has ideas?

If sometimes you feel little, useless, offended or depressed or get that loser feeling, always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm out of hundreds of millions...

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
anyone any ideas...?

<b><font color=red>The statement below is true.</font color=red></b>
<b><font color=blue> The statement above is false.</font color=blue></b>

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
You can easily accomplish your goal by using the Creative multi speaker surround option in the speaker control panel (CMSS) There is a newer version on the Audigy 2 driver CD that I am using - CMSS 2 - but I am sure that CMSS 1 is much the same. This thing actually works all the time whilst you are in windows (not games) so that any sound will come out of all speakers unless the software tells it otherwise. It is very good and does more than just reproduce stereo signals in the rear speakers.

So in short - it is in the creative control panel.

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :)

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
i have the same sound card too. SB Live! DE5.1. where do i find the CMSS stuff? i went thru Creative Surround Mixer, i cudnt fine it there.

<b><font color=red>The statement below is true.</font color=red></b>
<b><font color=blue> The statement above is false.</font color=blue></b>

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Have you tried downloading the latest apps from the creative website?

I know that it comes with the Audigy drivers on the CD but my mate has an SB Live! and he gets CMSS as an option so it must be available for you as well. If it is similar to the Audigy control panel then you have tabs for EAX, Mixer settings, Speaker Setup and CMSS.

If you can't find it just load the help pages and type in "CMSS". They have good help pages on the CD and online support as well.

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :)